** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

ELO Ratings Based Football Picks

NickP

Astounding result for Dijon beating PSG 2-1, but I did tell you....?

That is why I never like backing away at odds on, look at the value in these so far...image.png.d678e9aa32d6353aeee259a64774058c.png

Level for these games with a couple of Draws disappearing late on.

image.png.29a4d78bf28ab8948c0b3cd48fe9dabc.png

3 of these just one goal away so close but no cigar, including Palmeiras which would have been a huge win.

image.png.f8389cf730220ebeedfbe5421d1fb831.png

Away Lays proving a real winner at the moment, with a few more lined up this weekend.

Edited by NickP

Just one selection this week due to the European games,

image.png.9ba0312d226281c38cd4619a78516780.png

Will give me some time to evaluate the results to date and see what tweaks can be made to improve the results further. Draws not exactly working so will decide going forward what to do with these.

On 11/3/2019 at 8:30 PM, NickP said:

Just one selection this week due to the European games,

image.png.9ba0312d226281c38cd4619a78516780.png

Will give me some time to evaluate the results to date and see what tweaks can be made to improve the results further. Draws not exactly working so will decide going forward what to do with these.

1-2 was the result so that gives us an overall total sheet of

image.png.eca66f70c38b54dc2880181fe0859929.png

Ok so following on from analysis, a slight tweak to things, and hopefully an improvement based on history to date.

Home wins have been striking well but obviously we need to do something to up the odds given the prices.

Based on what I have seen in nearly 700 games to date, we will be backing the Home Wins, but throwing in a Bet Builder of +2.5 goals in the game as well.

+ 3.5goals has been profitable as per above, but we up the strike rate and profit by reigning it in by a goal.

So again based on the prices available on Bet365, we will back Home Win + 2.5goals in the game, along with the Away Lays which have proven very profitable to date.

Selections for Friday / Saturday are....

image.png.d872078b50c50c2903263524e047dc5b.png

Sundays should go up tomorrow night once the odds have been updated.

As ever, do your best with the odds wherever you can find it better.

Edited by NickP

@NickP Have to say excellent returns so far. Would you explain something for me please.

Your away lays ...... you are backing the away teams not to win ?

On November 3rd you posted Lausanne Sports as an Away Lay @ 1.4 . £10 stake returned £35.   ?

Am I missing something ?

Keep up the good work :ok

Hi. 

Yes "Away Lay" means just that, backing the away teams NOT to win. Either can do this by laying the team on betfair, or backing double chance home and draw with normal bookmakers.

So the result "W" is the result of the bet rather than the selection. So we won as Lausanne lost 3-2.

Good luck.

Edited by NickP

2 hours ago, NickP said:

Hi. 

Yes "Away Lay" means just that, backing the away teams NOT to win. Either can do this by laying the team on betfair, or backing double chance home and draw with normal bookmakers.

So the result "W" is the result of the bet rather than the selection. So we won as Lausanne lost 3-2.

Good luck.

Thanks I understand that but £10 stake @ 1.4 surely pays 14.00.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Pirate53 said:

Hi there, looks very interesting. Not sure how you work your lays out? Lay Rangers for £10 at 1.14 loses £1.40 (unless your stake is a liability lay).

Liking the Home + 2.5 bets.

£10 is your liability for laying Rangers at odds of 1.14 so if Rangers either lost or drew the game your win would be £71.42 (£10 divided by .14)

Ok after these two tonight that is it for the time being.

Feel I have lost my way with this from the original plan, so best to back off and refocus.

What we have learned though, on the basis of these Ratings, plus Soccervista, is it is a good source of information, finding the best way to use it is the knack.

Draws on both sites for a games prediction are profitable, as is laying well rated away teams (backing odds on teams away from home NOT to win)
Keep going with that and you wont go far wrong.

Back soon!

Edited by NickP

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 6:30 PM, note3user said:

@NickP Are you still using the spreadsheet

Hi there, sorry for the delay in replying, Covid, Working from home, Sim Racing and Golf have got in the way hehe.

Yes I still have the sheet, and with us looking toward new seasons starting hope to review previous and start up again shortly.

On 8/5/2020 at 1:59 PM, note3user said:

Hi thats ok its been a busy time

With your sheet have you made any chances to it ?

if yes could you share a copy, please

No changes to the Sheet, still using the one from Froment in post 5 in this thread.

These are my settings from when I was doing things last season.

As I say used this as a starter then see how it compared to other ratings and went from there.

Home win 4 Avg 2 Avg
ELO lower limit 19.99 29.99

Draw 4 Avg 2 Avg
ELO lower limit -4.99 -3.99
ELO upper limit 4.99 3.99

Away win 4 Avg 2 Avg
ELO upper limit -19.99 -29.99
Edited by NickP

Ok just setting it back up and one pick appears for Sunday.

These are based on the profitable selections from the last run, so here we go and good luck

Date League Selection Bet Type Odds Stake
09-Aug-20 Swedish Allsvenskan Elfsborg Away Lay at 1.72 £10.00
Edited by NickP