** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Championship Predictions > Aug 30th & 31st

Cardiff vs Fulham

The Championship action kicks off early this weekend with the Friday night game between Cardiff and Fulham that's set to kick-off at 7:45pm at the Cardiff City Stadium. It's a battle between two sides relegated from the Premier League and looking to bounce back up to the top flight with immediate effect. However, both sides are enduring mixed fortunes so far.

Cardiff are labouring their way through games right now. There has been a improvement recently with the displays in the 2-1 win at home to Huddersfield and the 0-0 draw away to Blackburn a lot more positive but the cohesion aspect of their play is still a big issue. The 3-0 hammering at home to Luton in the EFL Cup 2nd Round wasn't surprising given Neil Warnock's lack of care for that competition but it's left a number of questions around certain fringe players.

Fulham have been tipped to push Leeds for the title this season but Scott Parker's side are some way off that pace right now. Three wins on the trot have been sandwiched by an opening day defeat to Barnsley and last week's loss to Nottingham Forest at home. The Cottagers were also eliminated with a 1-0 defeat at home to Premier League side Southampton in the EFL Cup 2nd Round in midweek. It's still hard to tell where this Fulham side will end up.

The head-to-head meetings makes for some grim reading for Cardiff fans. The Bluebirds have only won 1 of the last 9 encounters between the two clubs. That includes winning only 1 of the last 4 meetings that have taken place in South Wales. Goals are common in this fixture over recent years with just 2 of the last 8 games between these two ending in less than 2.5 goals being scored. I'm not sure I can separate these two teams. I fear Fulham could edge it but Warnock always gets us up for the big games. I'm going to have to back a score draw here. 1-1 or 2-2 I think... and that's optimistic because something still isn't right with our team at the moment.

Draw @ 3.55 with Unibet

Total Goals Scored Over 2.5 @ 1.86 with Betfair

@waynecoyne, @sajtion, @arvee, @canaries91, @Mindfulness, @betcatalog, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @CloughandTaylor, @Tiffy, @Gidds, @chris50, @PokerWolf1, @teddybear3011, @skyblues88, @allyhibs, @Icongene, @KikoCy, @willie82, @Neubs, @Papa Lazarou, @kulikTS, @Valkovets, @Pipoca, @padman, @Marek76, @silver fox, @neilovan, @HastGill1, @jazzman02, @andypaps28, @Kenton Schweppes, @rangers234, @newjack, @Kane91, @yossa6133, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Xcout, @branskie, @Wanderer89, @Hitch, @four-leaf, @trevor8, @OppoArchitizerLady, @Power90, @THEODORE-007, @KeyserSoze1, @Ulrik, @Rey86, and @the bastardian.

Cardiff City vs Fulham FC

Cardiff City

Doubtful: Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (2/0 f)

Out (injuries/other): Marlon Pack (2/0 m), Neil Etheridge (1/0 first goalkeeper), Matthew Connolly (0/0 d), Sol Bamba (0/0 d), Jazz Richards (0/0 d)

Suspended: -

Fulham FC

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): -

Suspended: -

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Bristol City vs Middlesbrough

One of the more intriguing fixtures coming up this weekend in the Championship is the 12:30pm BST kick-off this Saturday lunch-time when Bristol City play Middlesbrough at Ashton Gate. These two sides have experienced slightly different starts to the season but both teams will be keen to get a win here to move higher up the table at this early stage in the season.

Bristol City are once again looking to compete for a play-off spot this season. Lee Johnson has built a City side that is constantly in contention for the top six. A 3-1 defeat to Leeds at home in the opening game wasn't the best of starts but it's been all uphill from then for the Robins. A 1-1 draw away to Birmingham was followed up by three wins on the bounce against QPR, Derby, and Hull that have all been convincing victories. The goals of Benik Afobe being a highlight.

Middlesbrough have not quite been having the same fortune under the inexperienced Jonathan Woodgate. An entertaining 3-3 draw with Luton away was the curtain-raiser for the Championship season. Back-to-back 1-0 defeats to Brentford and Blackburn extended the winless run. Boro then grabbed their first victory of the league season with a 1-0 win over Wigan before being held to a 1-1 draw at home to Millwall. An improvement in results is needed sooner rather than later. Two goals in their last four league games is also not good enough.

My initial feeling is that Bristol City come into this game as heavy favourites. Johnson's tenure in charge of City is very much one where they have peaks and troughs. When they're in one of these purple patches they're irresistible. A concern is that they've only won 1 of their last 4 league games stretching back into last season. However, this Middlesbrough side doesn't look like anything special under Woodgate. City have also won 6 of the last 8 encounters between the sides and I can see that being extended to 7 in 9 here.

Bristol City to Win @ 2.10 with BetVictor

Total Goals Under 2.5 @ 1.87 with Marathonbet

While Huddersfield haven’t won in six months the tide has to turn soon and they still have some good players. I am going to take a chance on them in the next few matches. No one would give them a prayer against a Luton team who are riding the wave but there is some value now in backing Huddersfield and I have a feeling in my water that betting on them over the next five matches will reep a profit. 

Leeds vs Swansea

The big game in the Championship this weekend is taking place at 3pm BST at Elland Road when the top two in the league table go head-to-head with Leeds hosting Swansea. Both teams have started the season very well and the winners of this game will have a 3 point lead over their opponents at full-time. Or maybe the match will end in a draw and it'll open the door for the chasing pack to make up ground?

Leeds were the ante-post favourites with a number of bookies and pundits. Marcelo Bielsa has shown exactly why that's the case. The Whites have looked irresistible so far with 4 wins and 1 draw so far this season. Three clean sheets in their last three league wins has shown proof that the question marks aimed at the United back-line have been answered. The defeat to Stoke on penalties in the EFL Cup 2nd Round was disappointing but it's probably a distraction the team will be happy to be without now.

Swansea have defied expectations under new manager Steve Cooper so far. A thin squad is still a potential problem that could rear its ugly head as the season progresses but things are going well at the moment. The form of players such as Borja Baston and Bersant Celina has helped to turn this attacking side into a threat against any team in this division. 4 wins and 1 draw from their 5 league games including three wins on the bounce has them brimming with confidence heading into this game.

I'm anticipating this to be a thrilling encounter. Leeds have scored an average of 2 goals per game and Swansea have hit the net 11 times already this season as the division's top scoring side. My one concern is that Leeds seem to be less free-flowing at home. Is it the pressure from the home fans? Or just visiting sides sitting back? I'm tempted to back Swansea at this price but I think a draw is a more likely with not a lot separating these two sides. I'm going to sit slightly on the fence and go for the double chance.

Swansea Double Chance @ 2.45 with Marathonbet

BTTS @ 1.73 with Blacktype