** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

EFL Cup Predictions > Aug 27th & 28th

eflcup1.jpg

eflcup2.jpg

The EFL Cup 2nd Round is scheduled for this week. A large number of Premier League teams, minus those in European competition, enter the competition at this stage. What bets are you all looking at this week?

@Mindfulness, @Pep004, @MaliMisko12, @betcatalog, @sajtion, @godofhorses, @Tiffy, @waynecoyne, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @Duke_Tm, @dogmeister, @Arkadi Manucharov, @derbent, @fat, @allyhibs, @6avin24, @discipline, @the bastardian, @Bronxie, @Bett@KikoCy, @teddybear3011, @markus808, @allthethings, @Kenton Schweppes, @vasilli07, @Dylan Lynch, @neilovan, @JKos, @zemo91, @kulikTS, @mrclubbie, @Judeksi, @Henind666, @Dave1X2, @canaries91, @jazzman02, @sajtion, @Darran, @postmanplod69, @eddiem, @bartonbank, @yossa6133, @Teodore, @thinkpink63, @Carovie, @i1_principe, @MrJol, and @AndreBR.

Cardiff vs Luton

It feels like only a couple of weeks ago that I was writing a preview about a competitive game between Cardiff and Luton at the Cardiff City Stadium. Oh wait, that's because it was! The two sides meet again in the EFL Cup 2nd Round just weeks after playing in the Championship. This time, it's a 7:45pm BST kick-off and there's actually a fair bit of bad blood remaining from the previous meeting.

Cardiff sealed a last gasp victory in a 2-1 win against the Hatters in their league meeting back on Saturday 10th August. The winning goal was scored by former Luton player and summer transfer target of the Hatters, Isaac Vassell. There was no respectful refusal to celebrate. No acknowledgement of his past connection. He celebrated like he'd won the lottery. The constant Cardiff chants referencing Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (we'll hold off calling him by his stage name on here!) didn't help relations between the fans either. Then the war of words between Neil Warnock and Graeme Jones after the game caused further antagonism. All fun and frolics.

Luton will be keen for revenge after that last meeting. I think it's probably fair to say that Cardiff deserved the win. Luton enjoyed more possession but Cardiff's 17 shots compared to Luton's 8 shows the Bluebirds looked more threatening. However, both teams had mixed fortunes since that game. Cardiff have won 1, drawn 1, and lost 1 in the league where as Luton have lost 2 and won 1 in the league.

As @waynecoyne rightly pointed out in the previous thread, Warnock doesn't like a cup game. I can see us fielding a weakened side. Warnock still doesn't know his best XI so this is a great chance to field a side of rivals to the current starting XI. I'm expecting the likes of Curtis Nelson, Isaac Vassell, Will Vaulks, and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing to be given starts. Not bad players but if Luton field a first team and they have the motivation from the last meeting in their mind then I can see Luton winning this game. I'm just not sure they'll do it in the 90 minutes.

Luton Draw No Bet @ 3.00 with Bet365

Total Goals Under 2.5 @ 2.02 with Marathonbet

QPR vs Portsmouth

QPR

Doubtful: Luke Amos (4/0 m), Geoff Cameron (4/0 d), Lee Wallace (0/0 d)

Out (injuries/other): Olamide Shodipo (1/0 f)

Suspended: -

Portsmouth

Doubtful: James Meredith (0/0 d)

Out (injuries/other): Lee Brown (4/0 d), Oli Hawkins (0/0 f), Ryan Williams (0/0 m), Bryn Morris (0/0 d), Jack Whatmough (0/0 d)

Bournemouth vs Forest Green

Bournemouth

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): Charlie Daniels (2/0 d), Arnaut Danjuma Groeneveld (0/0 f), Dan Gosling (0/0 m), Lloyd Kelly (0/0 d), David Brooks (0/0 m), Junior Stanislas (0/0 m), Lewis Cook (0/0 m), Simon Francis (0/0 d)

Forest Green

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): George Williams (1/0 m), Liam Shephard (0/0 d)

Suspended: Matt Mills (5/0 d)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Lincoln vs Everton

The EFL Cup 2nd Round action continues tonight at 7:45pm BST when League One club Lincoln host Premier League side Everton at Sincil Bank. I've chosen this game because it's set to be shown on Sky Sports and it also offers the chance for a giant-killing which has already happened to a number of clubs in this round of the competition already this week.

Lincoln continue to thrive under the management of Danny Cowley. The club has a proven track record of slaying the big sides in the domestic cup competitions with a famous run to the FA Cup Quarter-Finals coming back in the 2016/17 season. Ipswich, Brighton, and Burnley were amongst their victims that season. The Imps also won the 2018 EFL Trophy and have already beaten Huddersfield in this competition so Cowley knows how to get his team through knock-out rounds. This is a Lincoln team based on a solid defence having kept 4 clean sheets in all competitions so far this season.

Everton have endured a mixed start to the season with 1 win, 1 draw, and 1 loss. During those three league games, the Toffees have only managed to hit the net once. It's led to concerns that Marco Silva's side still need a more potent man up front. The 2-0 defeat against Aston Villa last Friday night also exposed some fundamental defensive issues that reared their ugly heads once again after the team had previously achieved 8 clean sheets in their last 10 games.

This is one game where I'd probably have picked it out as a potential upset in this competition but Lincoln's back-to-back defeats in the league has left me questioning if their momentum has been disrupted. No doubt, the home side will field a strong team and I'd be amazed if Everton put their best XI out with a crucial game against Wolves coming up this weekend. Both sides can defend well when they're at their best so I can imagine this being a tight affair. The odd goal will separate the sides. You know me, I love to tip an underdog in these competitions and I think it's worth backing Lincoln to try and at least take the Toffees to extra-time or penalties.

Lincoln Double Chance @ 3.00 with BetVictor

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 2.34 with Marathonbet

A great match for Sunderland to remember the old premierleague days against changed Burnley. Great odds for the Sunderland win and open risk. No comments about the previous league games. They don't matter to me in this institution. These matches are based on the power of the alternative players.

AWAY WIN (7.00)

JPG.jpg

Edited by THEODORE-007