** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Championship Predictions > Aug 10th

champodds.jpg

The second round of Championship matches are heading our way this weekend. We all suffered a bit with some very unexpected results. Hopefully, this week will have a little bit more consistency to it. Then again, this is the Championship! Welcome to hell! Post your predictions below! :ok

charlton - stoke

i don't believe stoke will go up and after last weekend it's become obvious to me they will be middle position team this season. the club success was built by tony pulis years ago when they were difficult to beat and physical. i think that's gone now. i'm looking at charlton to win after confidence boosting win last week

birmingham - bristol city

i just absolutely hate birmingham. i've been saying it for long time this team is nothing special and have been playing above themselves for too long. they are destined for 15th position or lower. when you look at the stat from last week you can see they didn't f**** all to deserve their victory last week.i'm willing to back bristol city

cardiff - luton

i like luton confidence. they gameplan is always to try score but i am sure cardiff will want to win after last weekend's result and be too strong

qpr - huddersfield

i got to be on qpr after their impressive start. i think it's time to get over how bad qpr was last season. they are worth backing after impressive and confidence will be high to follow it up with another victory

fulham - blackburn

fulham need to find their scoring boots after not getting on the scoresheet last time but blackburn find themselves under pressure already after not winning at home last weekend. i'm will to back the hosts but i would be surprised if blackburn turn up with a point to prove

derby - swansea

i don't know if swansea can better their terrible away form or shake it off this season. i guess it remains to be see but derby started with a win over huddersfield and i got a feeling this will be close. i am willing to try a draw

Leeds vs Nottingham Forest

It's an early start in the Championship this weekend with pre-season title favourites Leeds hosting perennial under-achievers Nottingham Forest in a 12:30pm kick-off on Saturday at Elland Road. Once upon a time not so long ago this was a huge match in the top flight of English football. Times have not been kind to either side recently but this season is a chance for them to change that.

Leeds backed up their label as promotion contenders with a convincing 3-1 win at Bristol City last weekend. Marcelo Bielsa has further strengthened his side's credentials with a positive transfer deadline day. The Whites pulled off the double loan signing of goalkeeper Illan Meslier from FC Lorient and striker Eddie Nketiah from Arsenal. It would be hard to argue against this side going on better than last season.

Nottingham Forest fans must be wondering why their club's owners keep shooting themselves in the foot recently after they started their reign so well. The appointment of Sabri Lamouchi can hopefully be a turning point for the Tricky Trees hierarchy. The 2-1 home defeat to West Brom might have been disappointing but it wasn't a disaster. Some busy work over the past couple of days has seen Lamouchi bring in a few new faces including Carl Jenkinson, Brice Samba, Chema, and John Bostock. Can they help to make a difference?

The trouble for me here is how easily Forest buckled under pressure from the Baggies last week. Leeds are going to be even more relentless. One glaringly concerning statistic for Forest is the fact they have conceded at least two goals in 7 of their last 10 away games. Compare that with Leeds scoring an average of 1.65 goals at home last season and you get the feeling Leeds could make this a brutal experience for Forest. A solid win for Leeds again.

Leeds -1 @ 2.50 with Betfair

Anytime Scorer: Patrick Bamford @ 2.25 with BetVictor

@waynecoyne, @sajtion, @arvee, @canaries91, @Mindfulness, @betcatalog, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @CloughandTaylor, @Tiffy, @Gidds, @chris50, @PokerWolf1, @teddybear3011, @skyblues88, @allyhibs, @Icongene, @KikoCy, @willie82, @Neubs, @Papa Lazarou, @kulikTS, @Valkovets, @Pipoca, @padman, @Marek76, @silver fox, @neilovan, @HastGill1, @jazzman02, @andypaps28, @Kenton Schweppes, @rangers234, @newjack, @Kane91, @yossa6133, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Xcout, @branskie, @Wanderer89, @Hitch, @four-leaf, @trevor8, @OppoArchitizerLady, @Power90, @THEODORE-007, @KeyserSoze1, and @the bastardian, are you guys betting on the Championship action after last weekend's carnage?

Last week showed just what a lottery the championship is. This week looks slightly easier with some a bit more to go on and strong home team wins I think.

West Brom look good against Millwall who will struggle again this season. Bilic off to a flyer away to a good forest team and they have the firepower to hurt Millwall. Home win.

Cardiff need to bounce back and even for a Luton side riding the promotion wave I think it will be difficult. Home win for me.

There’s a feel good factor around Pride Park at the moment, a good away win at Huddersfield and Rooney on the horizon. The players know this league and it might just be their season. Home win.

One away win, I will back Stoke to beat Charlton. A smash and grab against Blackburn but at home they will have to come out and play and I think Stoke will have enough and simply need to win.

17/1 Chance 

Double chance cover on those teams 2/1.

Got to agree with Leeds being the banker for accas this week, we've signed another load of new players but I've no idea how long it's going to take to gel, Leeds just look too good for us at the moment.

I like Brentford away at Boro, it was one of those days against Birmingham where the ball just wouldn't go in the net. Boro were ok against Luton but they were also pretty open and Brentford are the better team, so 2/1 is worth taking.

I want to keep opposing Reading so Hull at evens is fair enough. And even though Millwall did well in their first game, WBA should have too much for them at home. 

Cardiff vs Luton

OK, so I was a bit off with the Cardiff prediction last week but I think had Neil Etheridge not gone off injured then we might have stole the three points. This week, we host Luton at the Cardiff City Stadium for a 3pm BST kick-off on Saturday afternoon. What a difference a week makes. Last week I was backing us to win the Championship. Now after one defeat, an injury to our keeper, and a really bad transfer deadline day, I'll be content with play-offs.

Cardiff looked a bit off their usual standards against a Wigan side that weren't messing around. It was a disappointing defeat on a day when a number of teams that felt they could win failed to do so. I'm actually quite concerned coming into this game. I'm not sure we have enough creativity in the middle of the park. Ralls, Vaulks, and Pack is an OK middle three but none of those players are better than mid-table Championship quality. Reid leaving is a big blow for us and replacing him with Isaac Vassell is worrying. Still, we have Neil Warnock as manager and so long as he is there we have a fighting chance of success.

Luton looked very dangerous going forward in their season opening 3-3 draw with Middlesbrough. It did feel as though Graeme Jones's side were a little disjointed and I think we can open them up on the attack. I'm not sure they'll go down this season but they certainly won't finish higher than mid-table so this is a game we need to win at home if we have promotion ambitions.

Right, so the pessimistic side of me is thinking we will draw this game but then the sensible side of me thinks we have enough about us to get the win. Joe Day starting in goal for us is a baptism of fire for the lad but needs must. I think our biggest threats are out wide and if Glatzel starts then he could be the answer up top. I'm cautiously backing us to win 2-1 or 3-1 here.

Cardiff to Win @ 1.95 with Bet365

BTTS @ 1.80 with William Hill

The beauty of England seemed to be at  the first matchday.

I read many comments against Nottingham forest left and right. I see a big devaluation like nottingham forest is nothing. And believe me i like that. I`m a betting dragon hunter and i love those kind of devaluations to risk. For me Nottingham forest is in the best condition in the last years and now i believe can fight the games better than the last year. So all of you believe Forest crash by leeds but i believe in much more better fight than west brom. Odds at 7.50 right now.

In the second dragon trap put the Reading. For me team having better season this year and in my opininion giving great oods. Risk at away win 3.80.

Nothing else from me this weekend

Edited by THEODORE-007

Preston NE vs Wigan Athletic

Preston NE

Doubtful: Josh Harrop (0/0 m)

Out (injuries/other): David Nugent (0/0 f), Billy Bodin ()

Suspended: Ryan Ledson (0/0 m)

Wigan Athletic

Doubtful: Sam Morsy (0/0 m, captain), Callum Lang (0/0 f)

Out (injuries/other): Anthony Pilkington (1/0 m)

Suspended: -

Charlton Athletic vs Stoke City

Charlton Athletic

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): Chuks Aneke (0/0 f), Lewis Page (0/0 d)

Stoke City

Doubtful: Nick Powell (1/0 m)

Out (injuries/other): Ryan Shawcross (0/0 d)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

West brom 10\11 at home,made some promising additions and have a decent manager imo,had fair result on opening day think they will be to strong for Millwall.

Charlton 5\2 see some value in this price,Stoke were by accounts not the best last weekend while charlton had nice result, think at the odds the home win is touch on the big side.

GL 

West Brom vs Millwall

The third and final preview for this weekend's Championship matches is the 3pm BST kick-off this afternoon between West Brom and Millwall at the Hawthorns. Both of these sides started their league campaigns last weekend with victories. Can they build on that with another win here or will the two teams cancel each other out?

West Brom started slowly against Nottingham Forest last week but turned things around to grab a 2-1 win. It showed the mental strength that Slaven Bilic has instilled in his team already. The signings of Charlie Austin, Grady Diangana, and Matheus Pereira on deadline day have added more depth to this talented squad so they have plenty to be optimistic about coming into this game.

Millwall are one of those sides some are backing to become embroiled in a relegation dogfight. Neil Harris continues to silence the critics and their 1-0 win at home against Preston last week might not have torn up any trees but it showed they are building a campaign around a solid defence. Goalkeeper Luke Steele was the only deadline day signing but the Lions will be looking for a repeat of their awesome defensive display.

One issue for Millwall last season was their poor form on the road. The club lost 15 of their 23 away matches. That including losing 5 of their last 7 away games. To add to that, West Brom have won both of their last two home meetings with Millwall. West Brom have also won their last six home league games. It's looking hard to avoid the temptation of backing the Baggies for a win here.

West Brom to Win @ 1.92 with BetVictor

West Brom HT/FT @ 3.20 with Coral

Charlton vs Stoke: Draw

The first round of Championship matches ended with just 1 draw out of 12 games. Looking at last season's 3.5 draws per round and 17/18's +3.2 draws per round, I expect reversion to the mean and some draws this round.

Stoke had the most draws last season with 22 ties out of 46 games and 57% draw rate from away games or 13 out of 23. Stoke's away games vs bottom 7 last season all ended as draws, including ties with newly promoted Wigan and Rotherham. In fact Stoke drew 50% of their games vs newly promoted sides(+ Blackburn) last season.

Stoke are the favourites in this match but they only managed 3 wins out of 22 games in the Championship this calendar year. Stoke had 11 draws out of those 22 matches and 8 losses. No wonder that bet365 are giving lowest odds (3.2) for a draw from whole round exactly on this match. 

Charlton may have won in first round as they were more clinical with more shots on target from less shots and less possession than Blackburn, but no newly promoted side has won their first two matches in Championship since 11/12 season when Brighton and Southampton achieved that(Southampton even managed to qualify to the Premiership in that season).

See also a Draw in Charlton-Stoke Game. My Potters are at the Moment not in good Shape. They need a really good Striker. Now with Hogan on Loan maybe they will have it. But it´s too early i think. Maybe next Week, but today i see the Time is too short to prepare Hogan in this Formation. So Draw here possible