** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

EFL Cup Predictions > Aug 6th - 13th

Portsmouth vs Birmingham City

Portsmouth

Doubtful: Sean Raggett (0/0 d, probably in)

Out (injuries/other): James Bolton (1/0 d), Ryan Williams (0/0 m), Bryn Morris (0/0 d)

Suspended: Ross McCrorie (1/0 m)

Birmingham City

Doubtful: Cheick Keita (0/0 d)

Out (injuries/other): Jonathan Grounds (0/0 d), Maikel Kieftenbeld (0/0 m)

Suspended: -

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Salford City vs Leeds

The EFL Cup is always a bloody minefield at this stage of the competition with the higher-ranked sides and teams looking to do well in the league not really giving it their full attention. In this preview, I'll take a look at the fierce clash between League Two side Salford City and Championship title favourites Leeds which is scheduled to kick off at 7:45pm BST at Moor Lane tonight.

Salford City continue their controversial rise through the Football League pyramid and their first season in the fourth tier has thrown up a classic encounter with rivals Leeds. Not that these two sides have ever been rivals but the Class of '92 owners of the Ammies enjoyed their fair share of ding dong battles with the Whites down the years. Gary Neville has already been stoking the fires on social media. A win in this game would send a huge message to their league rivals ahead of the coming season. Graham Alexander's men will be keen to bounce back from the 2-0 loss away to Crawley on the weekend.

Leeds suffered an unexpected draw at home to Nottingham Forest on the weekend. Marcelo Bielsa's side lacked that cutting edge in the final third that saw them unable to grab the win. No offence to Patrick Bamford but it's clear to see why Bielsa has drafted in Arsenal youth prospect Eddie Nketiah but is the Gunner even the answer? He could well get a start to prove himself tonight. It'll also be interesting to see how Bielsa approaches this competition. Last season, Leeds exited the competition in the 2nd Round having not really taken it too seriously. Momentum is key in football though so will Bielsa experiment or keep consistency?

At this stage of the EFL Cup it's always worth a cheeky punt on the underdog. Especially when the underdog is at home and the away side has other priorities in their season. I think Salford City will come into this game desperate to win. Unless Leeds are on top of their game then they might struggle to take the win here. I think there's certainly value to be had in backing Salford City to some extent.

Salford City Double Chance @ 2.60 with Betfair

BTTS @ 1.91 with Betfred

@Mindfulness, @Pep004, @MaliMisko12, @betcatalog, @sajtion, @godofhorses, @Tiffy, @waynecoyne, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @Duke_Tm, @dogmeister, @Arkadi Manucharov, @derbent, @fat, @allyhibs, @6avin24, @discipline, @the bastardian, @Bronxie, @Bett@KikoCy, @teddybear3011, @markus808, @allthethings, @Kenton Schweppes, @vasilli07, @Dylan Lynch, @neilovan, @JKos, @zemo91, @kulikTS, @mrclubbie, @Judeksi, @Henind666, @Dave1X2, @canaries91, @jazzman02, @sajtion, @Darran, @postmanplod69, @eddiem, @bartonbank, @yossa6133, @Teodore, @thinkpink63, @Carovie, @i1_principe, and @AndreBR, what bets are you all placing for these games?

33 minutes ago, waynecoyne said:

are cardiff not in at this stage @StevieDay1983?

warnock is usually my first thought for managers treating cup competitions with disdain

Nah mate, too big time! :lol

You're right though. He hates the cup competitions. I totally support everyone to back us to sack it off early doors when we enter in the 2nd Round. It's a shame. I love the cup competitions. That said, when I managed my team I always fielded the fringe and youth players in the cups!

AFC Wimbledon vs MK Dons

The EFL Cup 1st Round throws up a tasty fixture this evening when the Battle of the Dons takes place between AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons in a 7:45pm BST kick-off at Kingsmeadow tonight. There is a lot of bad blood that still remains between these two clubs after the controversial move of the old Wimbledon to Milton Keynes so we should be in for a treat of an encounter.

AFC Wimbledon managed to turn their fortunes around last season to stay in League One. Manager Wally Downes hasn't had a lot of space for movement in the transfer market. Despite two defeats, his side have shown fight in the narrow 2-1 defeats to both Rotherham and Fleetwood. The Dons will be keen to win this game as a matter of pride and getting that first competitive win of the season on the board.

MK Dons suffered a disappointing relegation last season to League Two. It's uncertain how many people actually cried a tear for that but the club must now focus on a return to the third tier. Paul Tisdale is the man at the helm and he brings with him a wealth of experience in the lower leagues. The club won their first league game of the season on the weekend with a 1-0 win over Shrewsbury Town thanks to a goal from former Cardiff striker Rhys Healey. Their other league game with Bury was postponed due to their opponent's financial plight.

This is a tough game to call. I think we can expect both sides to field strong line-ups given the importance of this game between the two sets of fans. AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons are evenly matched on the pitch so it could require extra-time and penalties to split these two teams. AFC Wimbledon have only won 2 of the previous 7 meetings so I feel it's about time the tide started turning. I'm going to back the home team to progress but it might not be decided within 90 minutes.

AFC Wimbledon to Qualify @ 2.00 with BetVictor

BTTS @ 1.70 with Bet365