** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Championship Predictions > Aug 2nd - 5th

13 hours ago, Xcout said:

Luton 3-3 Middlesbourgh

More over 2.5 goals games in the future for Middlesbrough?  or for Luton? Which one is your take?

Definitely for Boro, wide open and very slack at the back. Luton may be of the mindset that they may as well go out and play attacking football as they're going to struggle otherwise.

The Championship in general is going to be a goal fest this season I think.

13 hours ago, Sir Puntalot said:

Leeds made Bristol City look average and they're going to have improve if they think they're a top 6 side after that performance.

Leeds without injuries will be right up there, but the squad size is a big concern as is the keeper, he'll cost Leeds 10-15 goals this season on his own. :loon

Yeah, I'm interested to see if they bring in any centre backs to replace Pontus Jansson and it sounds like Kemar Roofe to Anderlecht is happening. I think Marcelo Bielsa is that good a manager that he'll make it work whatever they have. Can they last the pace though? Bielsa does push his players and it's easy to forget that a 46-game season is a long haul. Some of these managers that have managed in leagues where it's far less games struggle to adapt their approaches to accommodate that.

Huddersfield vs Derby

The opening weekend of action from the Championship extends to tonight with recently relegated Huddersfield hosting play-off semi-final losers Derby in a 7:45pm BST kick-off from the John Smith's Stadium. The first round of matches from this division has thrown up some shocks and it'll be interesting to see what this game delivers with both sides keen to make a positive start to their campaign.

Huddersfield enter their first season after a full pre-season with manager Jan Siewert. The controversial departure of David Wagner last season didn't appear to change much and the Terriers will be hoping that Siewert's philosophy allows them to challenge for promotion once again. The club has seen a number of high-profile departures including Chris Lowe, Laurent Depoitre, Erik Durm, Jonas Lossl, Tommy Smith, Ramadan Sobhi, and Philip Billing. Reece Brown, Tommy Elphick, Kamil Grabara, Herbert Bockhom, and Isaac Mbenza have been drafted in to boost the squad. Are the fans worried?

Derby have faced a summer of change with former head coach Frank Lampard leaving the club for the Chelsea managerial position. He has also taken his coaching staff with him including the influential Jody Morris. Phillip Cocu is the new man at the helm and pre-season has delivered a mixed bag of results and performances. All the loan signings from last season such as Harry Wilson, Mason Mount, Andy King, and Fikayo Tomori have returned to their parent clubs. Cocu has moved to sign the likes of Kieran Dowell and Matthew Clarke on loan with Graeme Shinnie, Osazee Aghatise, and Krystian Bielik brought in. It just feels like this Rams side is a lot weaker than last season. Especially when you consider the experienced heads like Ashley Cole, David Nugent, Craig Bryson, Efe Ambrose, Alex Pearce, and Marcus Olsson have been shown the door.

I'm not convinced either of these teams will be in the promotion hunt this season but I think Huddersfield are better prepared for the start of this campaign. I look at Derby's line-up and they look defensively frail. Huddersfield have a lot of attacking talent that could exploit that. Karlan Grant is quite the prospect and I can see him doing damage against this Derby side. Cocu has been brought in to a club left in tatters by their former manager leaving. They'll need to be patient with him because he's got a heck of a rebuilding job. Huddersfield to win this one.

Huddersfield to Win @ 2.15 with Bet365

BTTS @ 1.87 with Marathonbet