** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

New Manager Odds Chat

Right, let's kick things off with Sheffield Wednesday. @waynecoyne, what are you hearing on the grapevine buddy? Chris Hughton is the Evens favourite right now with most bookies. Other contenders include Gianfranco Zola, Martin Jol (sorry, is it 2007 again?), Daniel Stendel, Garry Monk, David Moyes, and Gary Rowett. Some decent shouts in there. If you don't go for Hughton, who seems the most logical choice, then it has to be Monk or Rowett surely? Nigel Pearson also being floated around by some players. Bring back David Hirst, I say! That'll put a rocket up your lads! Paolo Di Canio is also available... :cow

hi there @StevieDay1983

Chansiri doesn't have a great track record with appointing managers, prior to Bruce and that turned out well.

There is the usual list of dinosaurs, serial failures and dodgy so and so's in the betting. Pulis/ zola, rowett, coleman and Monk in that order.

All pretty uninspiring, i'm hoping we go for someone progressive from the lower leagues (cowley maybe) or a german manager-wagner and farke have both done well for example.

I am not optimistic and have heard interviews have taken place , with  possibly Coleman and Pulis.

Hughton would be my first choice but he may not want it. Pearson has repeatedly said he wouldn't want it, di Canio is a nut job, Hirst nice guy but no experience, and please please not Gary Megson. Lee Bullen is caretaker- nice guy again but he would crack at the first sign of pressure, so a definite no there.

Of the ones I don't want Rowett would be the preferred option.

Edited by waynecoyne

18 minutes ago, waynecoyne said:

hi there @StevieDay1983

Chansiri doesn't have a great track record with appointing managers, prior to Bruce and that turned out well.

There is the usual list of dinosaurs, serial failures and dodgy so and so's in the betting. Pulis/ zola, rowett, coleman and Monk in that order.

All pretty uninspiring, i'm hoping we go for someone progressive from the lower leagues (cowley maybe) or a german manager-wagner and farke have both done well for example.

I am not optimistic and have heard interviews have taken place , with  possibly Coleman and Pulis.

Hughton would be my first choice but he may not want it. Pearson has repeatedly said he wouldn't want it, di Canio is a nut job, Hirst nice guy but no experience, and please please not Gary Megson. Lee Bullen is caretaker- nice guy again but he would crack at the first sign of pressure, so a definite no there.

Of the ones I don't want Rowett would be the preferred option.

Yeah, as a Welshman I would hope you don't appoint Coleman. Legend of a bloke but he only had the success that he did with Wales because the international game suited his man management. His tactical side is inept. At Wales, he had a great backroom staff and a little bit of luck. By the end, I don't think anybody was sad to see him go. He was a key reason we qualified for the 2016 European Championship but he was probably the main reason we didn't qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

I'd agree with Rowett. Both him and Monk are solid but I'm not sure they'd get you into the play-offs but I'm not sure anyone could. Pulis would be dour. I don't get the fascination with Zola. Repetitive failure. Hopefully, you steer clear of McClaren! Agree that a younger manager from lower down would be a shout. Cowley is a great call but would require some swaying. One manager I'd recommend would be Newport's Mike Flynn. Given the state of the club when he took over and the continued lack of resources he's performing miracles. Really rated in this neck of the woods and being tipped as a potential future Wales manager.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Not giving it to Bullen or keeping the status quo of him as interim for the time being? He's doing a cracking job isn't he? Worried the Cowley appointment might be the same as when Burnley snapped up Eddie Howe.

We have not been playing well @StevieDay1983 and Bullen appears to have run out of ideas like he did last time he was caretaker manager.

I'm quite excited by this and hope Chansiri doesn't mess it up.

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm just about getting a chance to reflect on the departure of Neil Warnock as our manager. He's a man I wanted to manager our club for years and when he finally arrived he didn't disappoint. What he achieved on and off the pitch with the resources he had was nothing short of miraculous. Healed a broken club, revitalised our performances, and breathed new life into a team spirit that was shot after three dour managerial appointments in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Paul Trollope, and Russell Slade. Cannot thank him enough for what he's done with us. I think it says everything when we're mid-table and grinding out enough results to stay there yet many feel he's failing. Easy to forget where we were a few years back.

Anyway, it sounds like it was a mixture of relegation from the Premier League and the death of Emiliano Sala that hit him hard so I'll respect his decision and wish him all the best. The question now is who will replace him? The bookies have Neil Harris as the stand-out and I believe he's the favourite with the board as an ex-player of ours and he's free. There was talk of Lee Bowyer but why on earth would he leave Charlton for us? Chris Hughton was touted but after we shunned him for Solskjaer (still mystifies me!) I can't imagine he'd be interested. The latest random name thrown into the hat is Mark Hughes. God help us.

My personal preference would be either Michael Flynn of Newport County or Gareth Ainsworth of Wycombe. Ainsworth edges it for me. Loved him as a player for us and proving himself as a manager now. Again, he left under a cloud after being sidelined for our play-off final win in 2003 but he was always adored by our fans. I just have a bad feeling about this appointment and, for me, this season is now a write-off and the start of a new rebuilding phase.

15 hours ago, Zico10 said:

If it had of happened a few weeks ago you could have got Michael O'Neill! 

Yeah. Not sure how I'd have felt about that. He did well at Brechin and Shamrock Rovers given the resources available so think he'd have done OK with us given the fact he'd have been on a strict budget. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at Stoke.

1 hour ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Yeah. Not sure how I'd have felt about that. He did well at Brechin and Shamrock Rovers given the resources available so think he'd have done OK with us given the fact he'd have been on a strict budget. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at Stoke.

I might be biased but I genuinely believe he's the real deal. I honestly think he'd do a great job with any team he manages including premiership level. What he has done with us has been nothing short of incredible and vastly underrated by the mainstream. I wouldn't be shocked if he got stoke into the playoffs. 

• 3 weeks later...