** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Wednesday July 3rd

2 2nds tonight at Stratford and fair to say one of them was more frustrating than the other. E/W money won on Hidden Charmer, but it felt like I got the race spot on and yet still didn't get the jackpot. Suspect they might look for a similar race here next time as he is clearly in form at the moment.

Onto Worcester on Wednesday and 3 horses worth backing who were all 2nd last time out. In race 2 I put Border Breaker up as a bet at Hexham last time and he ran really well at a big price to finish 2nd to a clearly much improved Ronava. This extra trip should see a bit of improvement as well and he looks a decent e/w bet to me again with 9/1 the biggest price currently available as he runs here of the same mark as he did at Hexham. I certainly respect the claims of Out For Justice and Bramble Brook, but it could be worth having a small e/w saver on Old Pride as well. I didn't fancy him at Bangor (in the race I put up stablemate Master Sunrise who was a massive gamble) because I have always thought he needed a shorter trip than 3m, but he was only just denied that day and they were miles clear of the rest. As his form figures suggest he is pretty consistent and Alex Edwards claim means he essentially runs off the same mark as he did at Bangor. He's as big as 17/2 with Betfair and Paddy's although the shorter prices elsewhere are acceptable as well. I don't think he's as well handicapped as Border Breaker, but now we know he stays 3m he certainly should run his race.

I'm always wary of a horse having its first start for Dr Newland so Brave Helios has to be respected and Poetic Presence has been running well in Irish points so might be capable of better than he was when he last ran under rules, but Skinflint has to be backed after his run behind Midnight Folie at Newton Abbot last week. I was worried about the trip so I'm not worried about the big drop in trip here and we all know how well handicapped Midnight Folie was. Quite why bookies put him in at 13/2 I don't know and not surprisingly that has long gone although as I type 11/2 is available with Paddy's. For me though on paper he should be heading the betting so the shorter prices are fine and we just have to hope the Newland horse isn't a handicap blot.