** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Group A Predictions > Jun 21st - 30th

Egypt - Zimbabwe 

I destroyed the odds on Egypt I think when I bet -1.25 @ 1.85  on Egypt  , now odds changed to -1.5

I think myself easy win for Egypt here , the Risk to lose half the bet always possible , but when I think more about it and how both teams play and what players both teams got I see something like 2-0 or 3-0 

Egypt national team have super players in midfield area , they will make many chances here and if fast 1-0 come then we should get 2-0 or late 3-0 even hopefully 

even Egypt -1.5 worth bet for me here 

Egypt vs Zimbabwe

The 2019 Africa Cup of Nations kicks off this evening with host nation Egypt facing group underdogs Zimbabwe in a 9pm BST kick-off at the Cairo International Stadium in Cairo. Can the Pharaohs make it a record-breaking 8th win in this competition or will we see an opening day upset?

Egypt come into this tournament as the firm favourites. Javier Aguirre's side are on home turf and boast one of the top African talents in Mohamed Salah. The form of the host nation is also decent coming into this first game of the tournament with just 1 defeat in their last 8 matches. Mexican Aguirre has experience of winning an international after guiding Mexico to the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Zimbabwe are more renowned for their cricket and Robert Mugabe than their football. Bruce Grobbelaar and Peter Ndlovu are two of the more famous alumni from the national team but the current squad is severely lacking such players. This will be just their 4th appearance in the tournament and they have so far failed to get past the group stage. That being said, Sunday Chidzambwa's men come into this game in decent form unbeaten in their last four matches with three clean sheets.

Everything is pointing at a solid win for the home nation in this opening game. Zimbabwe will be hoping to keep the score down and build on recent positive results earned against the likes of Congo, Comoros, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Egypt are a different prospect altogether. The only thing that will hold Egypt back is nerves. I think a 2-0 win for Egypt seems like the most likely outcome.

Egypt HT/FT @ 1.85 with Ladbrokes

Egypt to Win to Nil @ 1.70 with BetVictor

DR Congo vs Uganda

It is matches like this that us neutrals live for in the Africa Cup of Nations where one side of familiar names faces a side packed with unfamiliar players. DR Congo and Uganda are those two teams here and they kick-off at 3:30pm BST on Saturday afternoon from the Cairo International Stadium in Cairo.

DR Congo have long been a team that have flattered to deceive. A number of times they have looked like going all the way in this tournament or qualifying for a World Cup only to see things unravel near the death. Florent Ibenge's side will be looking to lay those ghosts to rest this year. DR Congo have won the tournament twice before in 1968 and 1974 so it's high time they delivered another decent performance. Narrowly missing out on the 2018 World Cup will still be hurting a few of the older players who saw it as a last chance but they can gain some salvation here.

Uganda are an unknown quantity coming into this year's competition. After qualifying in 2017 to end a 29 year absence from the tournament they qualified for this year's edition by topping their group. Head coach Sebastien Desabre will be hoping to build on his team's awesome defensive displays recently. Just 1 defeat in their last 10 matches has also seen the Cranes concede just 1 goal during those 10 games.

If you're looking for recognisable names then DR Congo have their fair share. The likes of West Ham's Arthur Masuaku, Porto's Chancel Mbemba, Kilmarnock's Youssouf Mulumbu, Birmingham's Jacques Maghoma, Anderlecht's Yannick Bolasie, and Nottingham Forest's Britt Assombalonga are all names fans of European football will know. Uganda lack such heavyweight names. Striker Emmanuel Okwi has scored 21 goals in 71 caps and midfielder Farouk Miya has bagged 22 goals in 59 caps. Yeovil Town supporters will also recognise defender Bevis Mugabi.

My gut instinct tells me to back a DR Congo win. Uganda have shown under Desabre that they're an organised defensive unit so they'll be tough to break. You compare the two sides and there's no match in terms of calibre. DR Congo really should win this comfortably but opening game nerves could see them struggle to a one goal win.

DR Congo to Win @ 2.20 with Unibet

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.59 with MarathonBet

Im sorry mate :( 

I bet last week on Uganda 0.5 

I saw both teams good last games , this Uganda was unbelievable solid and they looked like one of the best teams in this Group after Egypt 

I think will be close game , looks like Draw one , but this Uganda can sure surprise here 

No No Im not from Egypt :)  but I know there all

the worse game for Egypt since ages !! lucky to win 1-o 

I thought Zimbabwe played great game and deserved something at the end 

with this coach for Egypt Javier Aguirre , I fear Egypt will suffer more next games  

the way how  Zimbabwe played this make me feel no game will be easy in this African cup anymore 

all teams improved 

Uganda vs Zimbabwe

Group A is back in the limelight at 6pm BST today from the Cairo International Stadium in Cairo when group leaders Uganda can all but secure their place in the final 16 with a win over 3rd placed Zimbabwe. It would be a huge achievement for the Cranes who are looking to exceed expectations in this group by qualifying after just two matches.

Uganda shocked a lot of people including myself with a solid 2-0 win over DR Congo in their opening group game. A goal either side of half-time ensured the result was never really in doubt. Sebastien Desabre will want his team to secure their spot in the knock-out round now to avoid needing something against host nation Egypt in their final group game.

Zimbabwe came into this group as the minnows but they made life hard for Egypt in their opening game. The Pharaohs ended up with a 1-0 win but they really should have won by more. That score will give them belief that they can get something from this match but, unfortunately, I think it will be false belief.

This game is a massive chance for Uganda to reach the knock-out phase for the first time since 1978. Where did they finish that year? Runners-up. I can't see them repeating that feat this year but this is a Ugandan side that look hungrier than a lot of sides at this tournament and that can go a long way.

Uganda to Win @ 2.55 with Sportingbet

Uganda HT/FT @ 4.33 with Bet365

Egypt vs DR Congo

The host nation are back in action in this Group A thriller between Egypt and DR Congo in a 9pm BST kick-off at the Cairo International Stadium in Cairo. The Pharaohs can seal their place in the last 16 with a win but DR Congo are simply fighting to survive in this tournament now.

Egypt scraped a 1-0 win in their opening game against Zimbabwe. It wasn't the performance or score-line that the home fans were wanting but it still resulted in a valuable 3 points to start their group campaign. Head coach Javier Aguirre will be demanding a more clinical display from his team against a DR Congo side that have nothing to lose now.

DR Congo will be kicking themselves after that opening game shock 2-0 loss to Uganda. It has left Florent Ibenge's side facing an uphill battle to qualify for the next round. That job will become a lot harder if they fail to take something from this game against the hosts.

Usually, I would be backing DR Congo to throw a spanner in the works for Egypt but something just isn't right with this DR Congo side. It's now 1 win in their last 8 matches and their poor pre-season form appears to be transferring into this tournament. It seems almost an age ago that DR Congo scored more than 2 goals in a single game. Egypt could probably still win this at 50% but I think they'll be keen to secure their place in the knock-out round as soon as possible. It's also about time Mohamed Salah scored!

Egypt to Win to Nil @ 1.91 with Ladbrokes

Anytime Scorer: Mohamed Salah @ 1.91 with Coral

Uganda vs Egypt

The host nation are back in action for this final round of Group A games when Egypt face Uganda. The match begins at 8pm BST at the Cairo International Stadium in Cairo. Egypt have already secured their place in the last 16 and Uganda have probably done enough with their 4 points but the lure of finishing top will motivate both sides for this game.

Uganda are exceeding expectations with results so far. Sebastien Desabre's side pulled off a shock 2-0 win over DR Congo in their first group game and built on that with a 1-1 draw against Zimbabwe. It now looks pretty likely that they'll either secure at least 2nd place or qualify as a best positioned third place side.

Egypt are doing what they do best and that's navigating their way through tournament football with minimal fuss. A narrow 1-0 win for Javier Aguirre's side over Zimbabwe in the opening game settled nerves but the 2-0 win over DR Congo was a lot more assured. A win here would continue building the momentum but surely they'll want to rest key players ahead of a potentially brutal knock-out phase.

In all honesty, a draw would suit both of these sides. Uganda would secure automatic qualification for the last 16 and Egypt would seal top spot. Nobody wants any injuries from this game and I can see a low key affair with both teams just going through the motions to take the point that would benefit both sides. The odd goal may separate these sides at full-time but I have to go with the draw as they nullify each other.

Draw @ 3.50 with Betfair

Total Goals Scored Under 1.5 @ 2.55 with Paddy Power

Zimbabwe vs DR Congo

The more dramatic game in this final round of Group A matches comes at the 30 June Stadium in Cairo at 8pm BST when Zimbabwe and DR Congo go head-to-head. Stakes could not be higher with defeat or a draw for either side spelling the end of their involvement in this tournament.

Zimbabwe came into this tournament with low expectations but the close 1-0 loss to hosts Egypt followed by a 1-1 draw against an impressive Uganda has led to their fans seeing a set of performances that inspires hope heading into this last group game. A win would give Sunday Chidzambwa's team a possible chance of a 2nd placed finish but even a 3rd placed finish on 4 points could likely result in qualifying for the last 16.

DR Congo have had a tournament to forget so far. The team ranked 46th in the FIFA world rankings were tipped as dark horses by some people. However, back-to-back 2-0 defeats to Zimbabwe and Uganda have left their tournament hopes hanging by the skin of their teeth. Nothing but a win will do here and even then it may be too little, too late.

The chances of success and qualification for Zimbabwe are far more likely than that of DR Congo. I've been really disappointed by DR Congo so far. Florent Ibenge's men look short on ideas and lacking a fighting spirit required to compete at this level. Unless there is a massive shift in approach I can only see further misery for them in this match.

Zimbabwe Draw No Bet @ 2.10 with Betfred

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.64 with MarathonBet