** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Chris Hughton Sacked!

Chris Hughton has been sacked as Brighton manager. Interested to hear what our resident Seagulls fan @Tiffy has to say on the issue. Personally, as this is the view of a neutral, I think it's a tough but necessary decision. Brighton are at a stage now where they need to look at the next phase of evolution for the club. If Hughton stayed they'd just be in another risky relegation battle again. I think it's a gamble but a needed gamble for the club to progress. Bring in a more competent manager and try to push on up that table.

It's still too early for solid next manager markets but odds released a month ago suggested the leading candidates were David Wagner, Sam Allardyce, Martin O'Neill, and Alex Neil. I think they need to think a little bigger than that. I'd even suggest gazumping Newcastle by swooping in for Rafa Benitez by offering him more money than Newcastle are offering along with a war chest. It's a long shot but they wouldn't go down under Benitez and could, with the right signings, push on into the top half and beyond.

Edit: Early markets now being released with Graham Potter, Frank Lampard, Steve Gerrard, Marcel Keizer, Phil Neville, Claude Puel, and even Arsene Wenger are other names being suggested.

@Mindfulness, @Pep004, @MaliMisko12, @betcatalog, @sajtion, @godofhorses, @Tiffy, @waynecoyne, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @Duke_Tm, @dogmeister, @Arkadi Manucharov, @derbent, @fat, @allyhibs, @6avin24, @discipline, @the bastardian, @Bronxie, @Bett@KikoCy, @teddybear3011, @markus808, @allthethings, @Kenton Schweppes, @vasilli07, @Dylan Lynch, @neilovan, @JKos, @zemo91, @kulikTS, @mrclubbie, @Judeksi, @Henind666, @Teodore, @kilkenny1, @newjack, @PokerWolf1, @Dave1X2, @real55555, @jazzman02, @Ameer13, @Gedkip, @mcsilks, @MangoTheThird, @Roy The Boy, @DonPaulo, @Duckets, @yossa6133, @sjuesju, @dylanphan, @thfc, @Dboston, @Dr. Florida192, @money44, @1moregoal, @ggm31v, @EuroDream, @ndanmak, @cummins91, @vicsuna, @abigail, @Carovie, @thfc, @Hitch, and @AndreBR, what do you guys all think?

When the season began the objective of Brighton was to avoid relegation something they have done.So sacking a manager for some other reason ie evolving the team,getting a better manger etc is not only unfair to Chris but very regressive.They are not a Real Madrid or a Chelsea.They will be relegated next season.I will certainly bet on that.

I don't know who else they can get who will do a better job with their resources.  I would argue he overachieved getting Brighton up to the PL in the first place.  Next season will be tougher at the bottom as the teams coming up are going to be stronger than those going down this season.  I can see Norwich surviving, and if Leeds or Villa come up I think they would be ok too.  So agree with @ndanmak that Brighton look a good tip for relegation next season.

1 minute ago, waynecoyne said:

He always comes across as a dignified decent man. I hope this backfires on them.

I read that as "I hope that backfires on him!". Hahaha. I thought "Christ, Waynecoyne must really be struggling with Sheffield United's promotion! :lol

On that note, I know how you feel, Wayne. Had the same with Swansea going up before we did.

I agree that it's a harsh decision and it may well not come off. I remember when we signed Solskjaer and Hughton was on the verge of joining us then. I like him but I feel he's limited to being, like Warnock, a decent Championship manager but not sure he's quite at the level for Premier League. Might be different if he's given more money.

Crazy decision regardless of me agreeing they need to evolve into a 2nd tier Premier League club. Plain facts are, you have to have the backing and be an attractive proposition of which they are neither.

Nailed on for relegation as you'd think all 3 clubs coming up have a serious chance of staying up.

1 hour ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I read that as "I hope that backfires on him!". Hahaha. I thought "Christ, Waynecoyne must really be struggling with Sheffield United's promotion! :lol

On that note, I know how you feel, Wayne. Had the same with Swansea going up before we did.

I agree that it's a harsh decision and it may well not come off. I remember when we signed Solskjaer and Hughton was on the verge of joining us then. I like him but I feel he's limited to being, like Warnock, a decent Championship manager but not sure he's quite at the level for Premier League. Might be different if he's given more money.

I am still struggling with sheffield united's promotion ffs. 

brighton 5/2 to be relegated with hills- i have got stuck into that

Edited by waynecoyne

Ok ok, calm down calm down folks?

My aplogies for writing war & peace. You may want to make a cuppa before you sit down to read this, and your thoughts, as ever, are welcome.

On the face of it, it seems a strange decision. Brighton aren't a big club, and CH has kept us up. What more do we want!

But let me give you my "insiders" view. Tony Bloom used a notable word in his statement yesterday, "RISK". That sums it up for me.

There is one person at Brighton, that the supporters trust more than anyone. That is the Chairman, who we are incredibly lucky to have. TB, is a fan, he has deep pockets, is a very astute businessman, and the 3rd generation of Blooms to be on the board at the club. Here is a Chairman, who prefers to stand with the travelling fans at away games, than sit in the boardroom.

TB, is a maths genius, and a professional gambler who has moved into property. One of his companies is STAR LIZARD, which places bets using Asian bookmakers, and it's rumoured that you have to part with £1m to join as a customer!

Remember that when B&HA got permission to build the new stadium, they had no money, the banks were crashing, and they had to do a deal with the University to get funding. Part of the West Stand was going to house classrooms! TB  cam along, wrote a cheque for £100m, scrapped the Univeristy idea, instead going for corporate options. A young, unproven manager, with bright ideas was appointed, and Gus Poyet started to transorm the playing side. It was refreshing after an era that saw Mickey Adams and Mark McGhee, play some unattractive and outdated football.

Since then, TB has also spent £20+m on a new traing ground, acquire a Belgian 2nd Division club to place the non EUROPEAN imports, and now acquired  land next to the training ground, to develop into community sports facilities, housing & retail (including an IKEA).

He has recruited top people to run the club, including Paul Barber as Chief Exec, a top recruitment & worldwide scouting system, and most recently acquired Dan Ashworth as Techical Director from the FA.  If you look at what DA has done at the FA for the England set up, i.e. Get a young manager in, develop the youth, and play attacking football, it was clear that something at the club was going to have to change.

TB has smashed the transfer record numerous times recently, buying the likes of AJ for £25m, Locadia, Propper, Bassouma & Bernado.  Mostly Good attacking players that have a pedigree. Now, if you are TB, DA or PB, watching your team pick up 3 points from 23 games, not score for over 6hrs, not see your new recruits perform to their potential, not see any more youngsters follow in the steps of Dunky & Solly March, suffer the humilitation of a 5-0 defeat at home to Bournemouth, suffer a 2-0 home loss in a relegation battle with Cardiff, see survival by 2 points, and quite frankly, only survive because Palace beat Cardiff, then something was going to have to be done.

This poses a significant RISK to Tony Bloom's considerable investement.

Rumours also abound that there was unrest in the dressing room, with the players wanting to play more expansive attacking football, which CH refused.

Our games against Wolves & Spurs didn't see a shot on target. Our FA CUP SF against City was a dull stifling affair, and the club has seen its image & reputation suffer in the media coverage that followed. Very damaging for the brand of the club.

So TB, has a long term plan, and wants Brighton to become a sustainable football club, with a return on his investment.  (Although the stadium loan was interest free)

One of my customers, who is very well connected with the club, told me he went to see TB in his office, and he is surrounded by computer screens  running algorithms (on what the outcomes will be if he signs certain players.). He will be doing the same with managers. Pretty much every decision TB has made since he took over, has been the right one. Appointing Sami Hypia wasn't a good idea, but the club had their hands tied with FFP, and had to go for a cheap option. 

In my humble opinion, we were certain for relegation if CH had stayed. TB has come to the same conclusion using his algorithms. I think you will see a younger manager come in again, with fresh ideas, and an attacking style of play. DA went to see Swansea play, and said it was the best football he had ever seen. 

See this as Dan Ashworth making his mark on the club.

Graham Potter, therefore is the clear favourite. 

Frank Lampard is on a shortlist of 3, but perhaps it's a bit early for him.

TB is prepared to spend some money, with rumours of players like Juan Mata being bought in. Perhaps Rafa could be tempted away from Newcastle if he doesn't get the assurances from Ashley.

So, thanks CH, you have done a tremendous job, and every Brighton fan will be sad to see you leave. But it was time for a change. He has reached his ceiling with Brighton, but Tony Bloom, clearly has a much higher ceiling to aim for.

So folks, take the 5/2 about them being relegated, but now, I wouldn't touch it myself. One thing is for sure, Chris won't be out of a job for long, and if he ends up in the Championship, then I'd be lumping on that team for promotion.

Edited by Tiffy

4 hours ago, Tiffy said:

Ok ok, calm down calm down folks?

My aplogies for writing war & peace. You may want to make a cuppa before you sit down to read this, and your thoughts, as ever, are welcome.

On the face of it, it seems a strange decision. Brighton aren't a big club, and CH has kept us up. What more do we want!

But let me give you my "insiders" view. Tony Bloom used a notable word in his statement yesterday, "RISK". That sums it up for me.

There is one person at Brighton, that the supporters trust more than anyone. That is the Chairman, who we are incredibly lucky to have. TB, is a fan, he has deep pockets, is a very astute businessman, and the 3rd generation of Blooms to be on the board at the club. Here is a Chairman, who prefers to stand with the travelling fans at away games, than sit in the boardroom.

TB, is a maths genius, and a professional gambler who has moved into property. One of his companies is STAR LIZARD, which places bets using Asian bookmakers, and it's rumoured that you have to part with £1m to join as a customer!

Remember that when B&HA got permission to build the new stadium, they had no money, the banks were crashing, and they had to do a deal with the University to get funding. Part of the West Stand was going to house classrooms! TB  cam along, wrote a cheque for £100m, scrapped the Univeristy idea, instead going for corporate options. A young, unproven manager, with bright ideas was appointed, and Gus Poyet started to transorm the playing side. It was refreshing after an era that saw Mickey Adams and Mark McGhee, play some unattractive and outdated football.

Since then, TB has also spent £20+m on a new traing ground, acquire a Belgian 2nd Division club to place the non EUROPEAN imports, and now acquired  land next to the training ground, to develop into community sports facilities, housing & retail (including an IKEA).

He has recruited top people to run the club, including Paul Barber as Chief Exec, a top recruitment & worldwide scouting system, and most recently acquired Dan Ashworth as Techical Director from the FA.  If you look at what DA has done at the FA for the England set up, i.e. Get a young manager in, develop the youth, and play attacking football, it was clear that something at the club was going to have to change.

TB has smashed the transfer record numerous times recently, buying the likes of AJ for £25m, Locadia, Propper, Bassouma & Bernado.  Mostly Good attacking players that have a pedigree. Now, if you are TB, DA or PB, watching your team pick up 3 points from 23 games, not score for over 6hrs, not see your new recruits perform to their potential, not see any more youngsters follow in the steps of Dunky & Solly March, suffer the humilitation of a 5-0 defeat at home to Bournemouth, suffer a 2-0 home loss in a relegation battle with Cardiff, see survival by 2 points, and quite frankly, only survive because Palace beat Cardiff, then something was going to have to be done.

This poses a significant RISK to Tony Bloom's considerable investement.

Rumours also abound that there was unrest in the dressing room, with the players wanting to play more expansive attacking football, which CH refused.

Our games against Wolves & Spurs didn't see a shot on target. Our FA CUP SF against City was a dull stifling affair, and the club has seen its image & reputation suffer in the media coverage that followed. Very damaging for the brand of the club.

So TB, has a long term plan, and wants Brighton to become a sustainable football club, with a return on his investment.  (Although the stadium loan was interest free)

One of my customers, who is very well connected with the club, told me he went to see TB in his office, and he is surrounded by computer screens  running algorithms (on what the outcomes will be if he signs certain players.). He will be doing the same with managers. Pretty much every decision TB has made since he took over, has been the right one. Appointing Sami Hypia wasn't a good idea, but the club had their hands tied with FFP, and had to go for a cheap option. 

In my humble opinion, we were certain for relegation if CH had stayed. TB has come to the same conclusion using his algorithms. I think you will see a younger manager come in again, with fresh ideas, and an attacking style of play. DA went to see Swansea play, and said it was the best football he had ever seen. 

See this as Dan Ashworth making his mark on the club.

Graham Potter, therefore is the clear favourite. 

Frank Lampard is on a shortlist of 3, but perhaps it's a bit early for him.

TB is prepared to spend some money, with rumours of players like Juan Mata being bought in. Perhaps Rafa could be tempted away from Newcastle if he doesn't get the assurances from Ashley.

So, thanks CH, you have done a tremendous job, and every Brighton fan will be sad to see you leave. But it was time for a change. He has reached his ceiling with Brighton, but Tony Bloom, clearly has a much higher ceiling to aim for.

So folks, take the 5/2 about them being relegated, but now, I wouldn't touch it myself. One thing is for sure, Chris won't be out of a job for long, and if he ends up in the Championship, then I'd be lumping on that team for promotion.

I love the fact that @thfc has rewarded this with a trophy emoticon! :lol I'd give it a bloody Pulitzer! Interesting thoughts though and this is exactly why it's great to have the fans of clubs on here. You get an inside view of what the real situations and atmosphere at clubs are.

I know a bit further up that @allyhibs tipped him to manage Celtic but I think if Graham Potter leaves Swansea then they'll make a move for him. As @Tiffy rightly said, Hughton won't be out of a job for long. I still think Rafa Benitez is the best option but they'd need to splash the cash. This next year will show you how ambitious the Brighton board are.

12 hours ago, Tiffy said:

@StevieDay1983

Haha, yes, think it's worth a Pullover! Perhaps not a Pulitzer. 

Hopefully people will get the picture now. I am just waiting to hear from my well connected customer on who is going to land the job. Watch this space...... 

As soon as you know, let us know! I think if you've already approached Swansea for Potter then you might go back again to try and twist their arm.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, StevieDay1983 said:

As soon as you know, let us know! I think if you've already approached Swansea for Potter then you might go back again to try and twist their arm.

Will do, I'm still waiting to hear back. But, yeah, it looks like they will go for him 

Brighton are set to appoint Graham Potter as their new manager after he informed Swansea City that he wants to leave.

Brighton sacked Chris Hughton on Monday and immediately targeted Potter.

Swansea offered Potter, 43, a new contract which would have made him one of the best-paid managers in the Championship, but he felt he could not reject a Premier League job offer.

Brighton will pay Swansea about £3m in compensation for Potter and his staff.

Swansea assistant manager Billy Reid, coach Bjorn Hamberg and head of recruitment Kyle Macaulay will join Potter at the Amex Stadium.

Potter was given permission to talk to Brighton after telling Swansea late on Friday that he wanted to leave.

The continuing financial uncertainty at Swansea is thought to have been one of the key factors behind his decision.

Swansea have been cutting costs since they were relegated from the Premier League a year ago.

Following their relegation, they allowed 16 players to depart last summer and made only five signings.

More players are expected to leave this summer. Wales winger Daniel James is set to be sold and more than £20m of signings will depart on free transfers.

Potter joined Swansea from Swedish side Ostersunds FK in June 2018 and guided them to a 10th-place finish in the Championship despite drastic cost-cutting measures following Premier League relegation.

Brighton finished 17th in the Premier League this season, two points clear of the relegation zone.

They won only three of their past 23 games and none of their final nine.

Hughton, who took over at Brighton in December 2014, led them to the Premier League for the first time in 2017, and they finished 15th in their first season back in the top flight.

2 hours ago, thfc said:

Potter confirmed as the new manager.  Looks a good appointment to me, though it will be interesting to see how much investment is made into the team.  Despite @Tiffy's post, I still can't see them spending big to get the players that are going to push them much further up the table.     

Brighton won't spend more than they can afford, so Potter will have to work with the players there. On paper, they are good enough to do much better, so hopefully he can get the best out of them. They should sign a couple over the summer, hopefully a new striker or 3!

i am pleased with the appointment though, a change was needed. Obviously Dan Ashworth is running the show now.

The big question now, is where will CH end up?

On 5/20/2019 at 6:11 PM, thfc said:

Potter confirmed as the new manager.  Looks a good appointment to me, though it will be interesting to see how much investment is made into the team.  Despite @Tiffy's post, I still can't see them spending big to get the players that are going to push them much further up the table.     

The assumption is always that you need to spend money to achieve things. Normally this can be the case, however

- Spurs havent spent much recently, nothing this season, and yet finished 4th & reached a CL final

- Man City spent less than EVERTON this season. They won the treble, Everton finished 6th

- Leicester won the PL without spending big money

SO, perhaps it's not always down to the money, perhaps the coaching has a lot to do with it?

@Tiffy fair points- especially when you see the money that has been wasted at clubs like Man Utd and Fulham etc.

Will have to wait and see how he gets on, but he will have to hit the ground running as I think the bottom of the PL will definitely me more competitive this time around.