** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2019 Cricket World Cup

South Africa Vs Bangladesh :

I fancy SA to get their first win tomorrow morning. I think things went against them alittle bit against England and although it wasn't a great performance, I think if Steyn is back and maybe they can bring in Miller to improve their batting options, it could be a lot better for them. SA have a good record against Bangladesh in ODI and although most of those matches were played in Bangladesh, on English conditions I would still fancy them to get the job done.

I have Iqbal as a big outsider top batsman in this tournament. He is a real class act and I'm going to take him to be Bangladesh's top batsman in this. I'm also going to stick with the talented Phehlukwayo to be Man Of The Match. 

3pts T.Iqbal top Bangladesh batsman 10/3 paddypower
1pt Phehlukwayo (Man Of The Match) 20/1 bet365

England Vs Pakistan ;

England's 2nd match gets going tomorrow morning. England won their first match pretty well. A match that could have been an upset for them. They batted well after losing an early wicket and they bowled well with Archer. Pakistan were pretty terrible in their first match against West Indies. England also beat Pakistan 4-0 in their ODI series. Including a win on this ground.

Archer really put it to South Africa and I think he'll probably end up doing a similar role here. The fast ball is causing all kinds of problems for teams and so I'll take Archer at 3s and also take England on the treble offered by paddypower. England are fast starters and have so much batting ability now that 13/10 is a nice price.

5pts England to win match / Most 6s / Highest 15 over total 13/10 Paddypower
2pts J.Archer (England top bowler) 3/1 bet365
0.5pts J.Archer (Man Of The Match) 16/1 bet365

10 hours ago, Fader said:

England Vs Pakistan ;

England's 2nd match gets going tomorrow morning. England won their first match pretty well. A match that could have been an upset for them. They batted well after losing an early wicket and they bowled well with Archer. Pakistan were pretty terrible in their first match against West Indies. England also beat Pakistan 4-0 in their ODI series. Including a win on this ground.

Archer really put it to South Africa and I think he'll probably end up doing a similar role here. The fast ball is causing all kinds of problems for teams and so I'll take Archer at 3s and also take England on the treble offered by paddypower. England are fast starters and have so much batting ability now that 13/10 is a nice price.

5pts England to win match / Most 6s / Highest 15 over total 13/10 Paddypower
2pts J.Archer (England top bowler) 3/1 bet365
0.5pts J.Archer (Man Of The Match) 16/1 bet365

The key here is going to be how Pakistan address the issue of not handling the short ball well. It appears that the wind is quite strong today so that will favour the fast bowlers from the one end. If Archer gets his eye in then it could be a painful game for Pakistan. I think you're spot on to back England to dominate this game. :ok

haha, steg. They were never value from the get-go. England still has a weak underbelly, even if it's maybe not quite as weak as it used to be.

Looking at tomorrows game, Afghanistan at evens for me. I think they looked much the better team if you compare the performances. Afghanistan looks well capable of hitting big scores whereas Sri Lanka just look a shell of a team who I would imagine won't hit 300 once this tournament.

5pts Afghanistan to beat Sri Lanka evens bet365

14 hours ago, Fader said:

haha, steg. They were never value from the get-go. England still has a weak underbelly, even if it's maybe not quite as weak as it used to be.

Looking at tomorrows game, Afghanistan at evens for me. I think they looked much the better team if you compare the performances. Afghanistan looks well capable of hitting big scores whereas Sri Lanka just look a shell of a team who I would imagine won't hit 300 once this tournament.

5pts Afghanistan to beat Sri Lanka evens bet365

Yeah, I think this is a great tip and so far you're being proven correct. Sri Lanka are always starting well but just suffer these inexplicable and ill-disciplined collapses. I just saw the run out. It reminded me of a football tour I went on. We set up a pair of wickets between two caravans and we'd been drinking a "magic punch" for 4 hours. I think our running between the wickets was better communicated than Sri Lanka. If you've bet on Sri Lanka today then you have every right to be nervous. I think only Malinga can save them today and even that might be asking too much.

1 hour ago, Stegosaurus said:

Those are both just metaphors that you’re using though, without any clarification.

In test cricket, England love a collapse, but in T20 and One Day, they seem to bat so deep (6 potential match winners, even though I’ve never rated Eoin Morgan, plus 5 bowlers who can all bat) that it’s pretty difficult for them to collapse. 

Cricket is a strange sport, in that even the best teams/players only perform well 3 times out of 4, so there will always be matches that can go wrong. I don’t think that’s down to any weakness in England’s batting any more - somehow they’ve ended up with the best batting line-up in the world, I have no idea how that happened!

The only issue is their bowling, whether it’s good enough to win the big matches and tournaments, particularly in pressure situations. Ben Stokes’ performance in that final over of the T20 World Cup is the sort of bowling you’d expect from England when the going gets tough.

I'm not sure what you're asking me? My statement was "England was never value. Because they still have abit of a weak underbelly" effectively.

I don't think anybody can think 2/1 on England is value to win 5 or 6 out of 8 minimum and then another 2 knock-out matches because they still have the tendency to collapse. Yes, all teams do. But not all teams are 2/1 favourites. I would want a team that do both very well to take 2/1.

calamity cricket yesterday. 2 matches today. Abit crazy really the setup. India having their 1st match of the world cup and South Africa now more than 33% into their tournament.

Anyway, India look the pick today as South Africa just look abit void of quality. India are a short price though, so I will take them to win and also have the most 6s. South Africa have had 4 and 3 in their two matches and I think India can beat that kind of score today with the quality at hand. I'll also take Yadav as top wicket taker today. I have him outright for the world cup also. He loves playing South Africa too.

I think South Africa will have troubles in bowling without Steyn and Ngidii too. I would imagine anybody in the India team would score big. If they bat first, you could see a huge score today. I like Sharma and Rahul today but I'll stick with just the two.

I'll leave the New Zealand Vs Bangladesh match for now. I will have another look before the match.

5pts India to beat SA AND have Most 6s 13/10 paddypower
2pts Yadav top wicket taker for India 3/1 sportingbet

Australia Vs West Indies -

I think there is abit of value on West Indies today. They looked solid in their first match but this is their first real test. Australia looked good but looking at the performance since of Afghanistan you wonder if that is not as good as you think.

I'll take Hope to turn up today. I think especially if West Indies bat first he has every chance. I'm tempted with Cummins for Australia but I'll just settle for these two at big prices

2.5pts WIndies to beat Australia 9/5 betfair
1.5pts Hope top Windies batsman 10/3 paddypower

West Indies really should have won that. Hope done well building his innings then made a real mistake but Holder should have done better from the position he was in too. Good to see Hope get a good score though.

Pakistan Vs Sri Lanka :

Not a whole lot of options in this one really. Also highly likely to be rain around. Sri Lanka may actually be a spot of value today with the potential for more DL. One bet I do like is Kusal Perera top batsman. I think it's been shown he is the class batsman in the team and the opener can do it again today

2pts K.Perera top Sri lanka batsman 4/1 bet365

Australia vs India

The next game of the tournament comes at us on Sunday starting at 10:30am at the Oval in London between Australia and India. Ordinarily these are two of international cricket's super powers and despite the Aussies not being fancied pre-tournament their performance against the West Indies made people stand up and pay attention.

Australia have won both of their matches so far leaving them in 3rd place in the group table. The 7 wicket win over Afghanistan was expected but the ferocity of their 15 run victory of West Indies showed that the Aussies are undoubtedly in the mood for a World Cup bid again. Steve Smith is in excellent nick and if Australia can start well then they have a chance in this game but the lads further down the order need to stand up and be counted.

India started the tournament late and navigated their way past a potentially tricky South Africa with a 6 wicket win. It's the only game that Virat Kohli's side have played so far but we saw enough in that performance to back up the general opinion that India are up there with the favourites to win this tournament.

This game will see some of the tournament's early performing batsmen and bowlers go head-to-head. It's going to be interesting to see how Kohli and his top-scoring team mate Rohit Sharma handle the bowling of the in-form Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins. I think you've got to back an India win because they simply possess more quality but this will be the real test to see just how serious Australia can be considered as potential winners.

India to Win @ 1.83 with Betfair

Highest First 15 Overs: Australia @ 1.91 with Coral

I couldn't get a preview on today but I went for India too. Australia actually did better than I thought they would. I was abit annoyed at Rahul being so low in the order but can understand they wanted the quicker hitting Pandya brother. 

Tomorrow's match looks set to be a cracker. South Africa Vs West Indies. West Indies have to be the pick here. They should be the favourites although I do feel like South Africa are going to give it all they have. I just think this will come down to who can score quicker and harder and that just has to be the West Indies. They have much more power with the bat.

The fact that South Africa pretty much must win keeps me from putting more stakes into this. Also the likelyhood of rain is quite high and that makes me think about top batsman bets abit more. Players like Russell and Gayle have more chance with less overs as they will be preferred much like India did with Pandya when they wanted quicker runs.

With that in mind I'll take a few outsiders in the market. Russell has a good record against South Africa. He has alot of wickets against them and if he takes a few and scores well MOTM is on. Morris could have a big game too if it sways the other way and Pooran looks a very tidy batsman.

5pts West Indies to beat South Africa evens bet365
1pt Pooran top West Indies batsman 13/2 bet365
0.5pts C.Morris top South Africa batsman 25/1 Ladbrokes
0.5pts C.Morris Man of the match 20/1 Ladbrokes
0.5pts A.Russell Man Of The Match 12/1 bet365

A day of voids thanks to the rain again. Bangladesh Vs Sri Lanka tomorrow. Got to take Bangladesh for this one. Sri Lanka look pretty weak to me. Possibly another wash-out day, but if so, we'll get the money back again Weather does look like that there will atleast be enough for around 20 overs in which id still imagine Bangladesh to win..

5.5pts Bangladesh to beat Sri Lanka 8/11 betvictor
2pts Bangladesh to win / hit most 6s / highest partnership 4/1 paddypower

I will take a small punt on New Zealand to beat india tomorrow. Both sides are unbeaten and I think it will be a close one but I'll take the value on New Zealand 

5pts New Zealand to beat india 9/5 sportingbet 

Rinse.Repeat! Another washout. But, todays game looks to have the potential to start on time and without "too much" rain. England faces West Indies. I think West Indies certainly look like a spot of value today. They have performed really well and could easily come into this unbeaten if things had gone there way. If if wasn't for silly dismissals of Hope and Holder then this would be a much more comfortable match for them. You would have backed them to win with 2 wickets taken in their wash out match too. This becomes abit of a "must-win" now.

I'll take West Indies to win this and I'll also take Thomas for the "Most wickets" as he certainly looks the man in form for the West Indies bowling line-up. Finally, I'll take Ben Stokes for "Man Of The Match" I see both teams going low in the order today and a real good match. Stokes could easily get a wicket or two and a good batting performance and a win for England would probably see him named MOTM. I suppose it's abit of a saver bet.

4pts W.Indies to beat England 9/4 Ladbrokes
2pts O.Thomas Top WIndies Bowler 7/2 Ladbrokes
1pt B.Stokes Man Of The Match 14/1 bet365

Just looking at tomorrows fixture and West Indies against Bangladesh. The 9/5 on Bangladesh looks a great price and enough for me to get involved. West Indies have been so hot and cold this tournament but ultimately, once Hope and Gayle go, it turns into a T20 match for these players. That doesn't always work. Bangladesh have been plenty solid enough in this tournament and so I'll take them to win this one.

5pts Bangladesh to beat W.Indies 9/5 Betfair

19 hours ago, Fader said:

Just looking at tomorrows fixture and West Indies against Bangladesh. The 9/5 on Bangladesh looks a great price and enough for me to get involved. West Indies have been so hot and cold this tournament but ultimately, once Hope and Gayle go, it turns into a T20 match for these players. That doesn't always work. Bangladesh have been plenty solid enough in this tournament and so I'll take them to win this one.

5pts Bangladesh to beat W.Indies 9/5 Betfair

:okWell done. Keeping an eye on things and tracking my antepost bets but not been betting on the individual games.

England Vs Afghanistan. Afghanistan look to be the whipping boys this world cup. I don't remember them getting to the 50 overs once. England should surely win this with ease. Vince is set to come in for the injured Roy. I'll be taking Archer to continue his form into this match. I'll also have a go at Afghanistan top batsman as you would expect them to go all out once again.

2pts J.Archer top england bowler 11/4 ladbrokes
2pts Nabi top Afghanistan batsman 13/2 betfair

SA Vs New Zealand :

New Zealand have been solid so far in this world cup and sit 3rd in the group. They also had a real stroke of luck in the sense that they got a draw against India, thanks to the weather. South Africa have been pretty poor. I was one of the people who thought SA would have a good world cup. They had all the right trends with the ball and had players capable in the batting department but it just hasn't come good and I can't see them getting anything out of this match. 

It surprises me that you can get close to evens on New Zealand and I'm happy to take that.

5.5pts New Zealand to beat South Africa 8/11 bet365

14 hours ago, Fader said:

SA Vs New Zealand :

New Zealand have been solid so far in this world cup and sit 3rd in the group. They also had a real stroke of luck in the sense that they got a draw against India, thanks to the weather. South Africa have been pretty poor. I was one of the people who thought SA would have a good world cup. They had all the right trends with the ball and had players capable in the batting department but it just hasn't come good and I can't see them getting anything out of this match. 

It surprises me that you can get close to evens on New Zealand and I'm happy to take that.

5.5pts New Zealand to beat South Africa 8/11 bet365

South Africa cannot continue to play this badly. NZ is a team that we have dominated between WC years.  Pitch looks like a beauty, and I feel that batting first (especially 1.5 hours later) means the ball will do less. SA need Amla to be solid here, hold up one end and rotate the strike at about a run a ball. He does that, I think SA post well over 300, and can bowl wicket to wicket, and win.

1 hour ago, neilovan said:

South Africa cannot continue to play this badly. NZ is a team that we have dominated between WC years.  Pitch looks like a beauty, and I feel that batting first (especially 1.5 hours later) means the ball will do less. SA need Amla to be solid here, hold up one end and rotate the strike at about a run a ball. He does that, I think SA post well over 300, and can bowl wicket to wicket, and win.

A decent start really 102/2 and Amla still there. Having Ngidi back is a real positive for SA. I would love SA to qualify in the grander scheme of things.

2 hours ago, Fader said:

A decent start really 102/2 and Amla still there. Having Ngidi back is a real positive for SA. I would love SA to qualify in the grander scheme of things.

Nothing really seems to be working for SA. De Kock played across the line getting bowled eg stump. Du Plessis played the wrong line to a yorker. No batsman took NZ on, except van der Dussen, who had limited support.  The start was steady, but too cautious, and some over hitting/wild swiping at the end was comical.

Biggest disappointment  for me at this WC from SA is Aiden Markram. Just played very averagely and got out at the worst possible  time in every game. 

Ball definitely moved around in the air and off the pitch. Is this Kagiso Rabada's day ? He needs to grab 3 quick wickets in a ferocious spell. Game not over, but 1st 10 overs probably critical.

Edited by neilovan