** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Premier League Predictions > Feb 9th - 11th

Wolves vs Newcastle

The Premier League offers us some Monday Night Football tonight. It's Wolves versus Newcastle in an 8pm kick-off at Molineux. It's a game between two teams that have had more positive than negative results recently but that hasn't devalued the need for all three points for either side here.

Wolves have won three straight league games on the bounce now. Their season has been packed with runs of good and bad form. Nuno Santo will be looking to try and make up ground on the top six. A win here would put his side just 9 points behind 6th placed Chelsea and 4 points ahead of 8th placed Watford.

Newcastle are deeply involved in the relegation dog fight still. Rafa Benitez saw both Burnley and Cardiff win their matches over the weekend but relegation rivals Southampton, Fulham, and Huddersfield all lost again. It means there's now just 3 points separating 18th and 13th. Recent results have dragged even the likes of Crystal Palace and Brighton back into the mix. In another couple of weeks there's a chance teams such as Leicester, Bournemouth, West Ham, and Everton may also slip into trouble if results go against them.

On the team news front, Wolves look set to welcome back Diogo Jota and Ruben Vinagre. Newcastle could also be set to give a debut to transfer window signing Miguel Almiron. There is a further boost to the Magpies with Paul Dummett, Mohamed Diame, Ki-Sung-yueng, Karl Darlow, and Yoshinori Muto all back available for selection.

There's huge potential for Wolves to smash some records tonight. If they win it'll be the first time they've won consecutive league games in the top flight since the 1971/72 season. It will also be the first league double they've earned over Newcastle since 1991/92.

Wolves seem to be a side that raise their game against the better opposition but struggle against teams lower down. So far this season, they have lost to Huddersfield, Cardiff, Crystal Palace, and Brighton. That said, they come into this game off the back of three league wins against mid-table opposition where they've scored 10 goals in those 3 matches.

I'm not too sure how this game will go. Newcastle have only won 2 league games on the road this season but they have drawn 5 matches so they're proving a hard team to beat away from home. Wolves have lost 5 home league games this season already.

My feeling is that Wolves will probably win this but I have a nagging gut that's telling me Newcastle could take a draw. Wolves have lost each one of their four Premier League games played on a Monday night. I'm not sure they'll lose here and I think I'm going to have to ignore my gut and back a home win. Just!

Wolves to Win @ 1.85 with Betfair

BTTS @ 2.10 with Betfred

I actually fancy Newcastle +1 (2.05 betfred) for this one.  Wolves are a team who play well against the big 6, but have let themselves down against the lower half teams.  Losing at home to Huddersfield takes some doing this season!  I remember watching that game and the result didn't flatter Huddersfield either.  Wolves have also struggled against Shrewsbury in the cup over two games recently, so I think they have a real problem motivating the players for games against lesser teams.

Whether Newcastle are a lesser team is debatable, but they are only outside the relegation zone on goal difference so at least in terms of league position they are a lesser team.  However, they are tough to beat and have the new record signing available (and a further 4-5 players back from injury) and things actually seem to be relatively positive with them at the moment.  I watched them against spurs last weekend and they were unlucky to lose.

Wolves have nothing to play for in the league.  They won't get top 6, they will finish 7th-9th.  Wolves should be going for the FA cup given some of the big teams have gone out and either Chelsea or Man U will go out in the next round.

Newcastle have every motivation to try and get something from the game.  This is exactly the sort of fixture Wolves have not turned up for this season, and therefore I fancy Newcastle to make a decent game of this and end up with at least a draw.

5 hours ago, thfc said:

I actually fancy Newcastle +1 (2.05 betfred) for this one.  Wolves are a team who play well against the big 6, but have let themselves down against the lower half teams.  Losing at home to Huddersfield takes some doing this season!  I remember watching that game and the result didn't flatter Huddersfield either.  Wolves have also struggled against Shrewsbury in the cup over two games recently, so I think they have a real problem motivating the players for games against lesser teams.

Whether Newcastle are a lesser team is debatable, but they are only outside the relegation zone on goal difference so at least in terms of league position they are a lesser team.  However, they are tough to beat and have the new record signing available (and a further 4-5 players back from injury) and things actually seem to be relatively positive with them at the moment.  I watched them against spurs last weekend and they were unlucky to lose.

Wolves have nothing to play for in the league.  They won't get top 6, they will finish 7th-9th.  Wolves should be going for the FA cup given some of the big teams have gone out and either Chelsea or Man U will go out in the next round.

Newcastle have every motivation to try and get something from the game.  This is exactly the sort of fixture Wolves have not turned up for this season, and therefore I fancy Newcastle to make a decent game of this and end up with at least a draw.

I agree with you but you forget to say that Newcastle have problem with finishing but when they have match like this when they need to win Rondon start to score the goal,defense at Newcastle is so organized,at crosses they are especially dangerous at left flank when Ritchie take the ball.Honestly I havent watched Wolves this season to many times but my opinion that they havent qualitiy to maintain their form.I cant remeber when Nuno Espirito Santo rotate their 3 center back and I think fatigue will be seen so double chance on Newcastle is valiuable for tonight