** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Non-League Predictions > New Year's Day

Darran

December was very tough at times, but Boxing Day and Saturday were profitable so we ended the year in good shape. I had a fairly wide shortlist for New Year's Day but have whittled it down to 7 in the end. The ones that missed out were Dover, Solihull, Southport and Hereford.

Barnet v Boreham Wood

Not sure if John Still retiring had an effect on the Dagenham game on Saturday, but it was obviously a good effort to beat an in form Dagenham. Sounds like they deserved it as well and if they can continue in that form then I think this game offers a good chance to win back to back matches. Boreham Wood won the Boxing Day match 1-0 thanks to an 88th minute winner, but they then had a very poor defeat to Maidstone on Saturday. Their away form is not strong having only won twice on the road in the league and with caretaker manager Darren Currie keen to keep the job full time he will want to make sure his team keep on winning.

Braintree v Ebbsfleet

Got the Ebbsfleet v Eastleigh game very wrong on Saturday as Ebbsfleet fully deserved their 3-0 victory. It was an impressive performance and they look a different side since Gary Hill took over as manager. They looked like a club who might get sucked into the relegation battle, but all of a sudden they will be eyeing another play-off place and if they are to get there then it is games like this they need to pick up 3 points in. Braintree picked up a much needed 3 points on Saturday when beating Maidenhead 1-0, but it was a poor quality game as you would expect and given they have only won once at home in the league all season, the away team look value at a shade odds against.

Salford v Wrexham

It is a shame that BT Sport didn't chose this game to show on New Year's Day as Bromley v Sutton is hardly a big draw. Salford's poor recent run continued on Saturday in a game that was on TV. It was a cracker as well, but Salford lost out at the death at Barrow losing 3-2 having twice come back to level it up whilst having 10 men. Their defence though is a huge weak point and it showed in that game and it certainly showed at Wrexham on Boxing Day when they put 5 past them. They can't keep relying on their strike force to dig them out of trouble and when you play a team as strong defensively as Wrexham then you are going to find it much tougher to score than usual. I put Wrexham up on Boxing Day as they were a big price and they are too big again here especially after getting another good win on Saturday against 5th place Solihull.

Altrincham v Stockport

There were 3 big priced teams I was considering in the National League North and in the end I plumped with just going with Stockport as a bet. Stockport have sneaked into 3rd place in the table and although 7 points behind Bradford Park Avenue you have to think they are possible title contenders as they should be in a much better position to strengthen than the two teams above them. I don't really need to repeat Stockport's stats having put them up on Saturday. Altrincham have only lost once in their last ten games, but that was on Boxing Day at Stockport. They are only 1 point behind their opponents here and are having a very good season back at this level, but on the whole in that spell of 10 games they have had a pretty kind run of fixtures. As Boxing Day showed I think Stockport have the edge and 5/2 about an away win is too big in my book.

Hampton & Richmond v Woking

I said Woking should have been odds on on Boxing Day in this game and they won easily. They weren't at their best on Saturday but still ran out 2-0 winners against Eastbourne and they look value to beat Hampton again. Hampton were 3-0 down to Chippenham and got it back to 3-2, but that was another poor defeat against a team who hadn't won in 7. Basiclly what I wrote on Boxing Day stands for this game and 131/100 with Marathon is too big.

Hendon v Chesham (Southern Premier South)

On the face of it this game is between the team 8th in the table and the team in 20th and you would expect the home side to be short odds in those circumstances and that is the case here. Hopefully though we can take full advantage of those odds because on form they are very wrong. On the 10 game form table Hendon only have a really poor Staines side below them and they have lost 7 of their last 8 games. Chesham on the other-hand have lost just two of their last 10 games and as I mentioned the other week are much better than their current position in the table suggests. No way should the home side be odds on for this and Chesham are over 5/2 with Marathon which is massive. The only slight concern is Hendon didn't play on Saturday so should be a bit fresher, but otherwise it looks a cracking bet.

Kings Langley v Walton Casuals (Southern Premier South)

The table suggests there isn't a great deal between these two sides, but then you look at Walton's away form and see that the home side are well worth a bet. Casuals have one just once on the road and drawn just twice in their 10 league away games. With the home side in really good form at the moment, they have only lost twice in their last 10 league games and got a great 4-3 win at 4th place Harrow on Saturday, they look a good proposition here. Like the game above the tips did play on Saturday when their opponents didn't, but hopefully that won't make any difference here.

Barnet 1pt @ 121/100 with Marathon

Ebbsfleet 2pts @ 21/20 with BetVictor

Wrexham 1pt @ 16/5 with Bet365

Stockport 1pt @ 5/2 with Bet365

Woking 3pts @ 131/100 with Marathon

Chesham 3pts @ 5/2 with Marathon

Kings Langley 2pts @ 28/25 with Marathon

2 hours ago, mijOsim said:

Darran, what is happening with Billericay ? They are in real slump recently.
Also what do you think about Oxford City and Concord ? Oxford is in really good form and their oposition is weak away. Something similar is with with Concord. Thanks

They had a few players leave including top scorer Jake Robinson, but the others were fringe players on the whole. Their team is still very strong so no real reason for the two heavy defeats. They won't win the league now, but they ought to be capable of being in the play-offs still.

Would be surprising if Oxford and Concord didn't win tomorrow

Great previews again @Darran. What do you think abut Truro - Torquay? Torquay is in really good form and number 1 favorite for promotion suppose, are they worthy for some combo? Or maybe goals is better? I see Truro at home is really good lately and scores some goals. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Bukic said:

Great previews again @Darran. What do you think abut Truro - Torquay? Torquay is in really good form and number 1 favorite for promotion suppose, are they worthy for some combo? Or maybe goals is better? I see Truro at home is really good lately and scores some goals. Thanks!

Truro play their home games at Torquay so it is basically a home game for Torquay and no doubt they will get another 3000+ crowd. Hard to see how they don't win especially as Gloucester ended up giving them a scare on Saturday which should help keep them focused.

8 hours ago, mijOsim said:

Darran, what is happening with Billericay ? They are in real slump recently.
Also what do you think about Oxford City and Concord ? Oxford is in really good form and their oposition is weak away. Something similar is with with Concord. Thanks

I was speaking to one of their (Billericay) ex-players on Saturday and there is trouble afoot. Players have gone unpaid and the HMRC are looking into Tamplin's 'fortune' and how it was acquired. They could go 'pop' at any time (I'm actually surprised the show has gone on so long).

That aside, Leiston away against Lowestoft looks good for me tomorrow. Lowestoft do not have a lot of goals in them and club captain Jarvis is out after an injury on Saturday. Leiston have Blake and Jarvis leading the line and should score more than they'll concede. 5/4 with BetPeso and a free bet to £50 for new customers.

1 hour ago, LondonHibs said:

I was speaking to one of their (Billericay) ex-players on Saturday and there is trouble afoot. Players have gone unpaid and the HMRC are looking into Tamplin's 'fortune' and how it was acquired. They could go 'pop' at any time (I'm actually surprised the show has gone on so long).

Interesting that so many good players have stayed and they won their 1st 2 games after Robinson and the others left, before losing their next 3 league games. It has been reported that someone is ready to take over the club so not sure they will go pop and someone must be paying something at the moment. The club have said this week that Tamplin is in America under going treatment although I bet that isn't for what they said it was for. They are probably an attractive proposition for someone to take over as well, because the ground has been done up and looks good, plus they have decent crowds so a sustainable wage for the would still be good for the league. They are trying to get it down to £10k a week and that is a very good budget for the division.

5 minutes ago, buga00 said:

Solihull moors  @2,00  odd , is a gift don´t you think  @Darran ?

Like I said in the preview they are one of the teams I had on my shortlist, but they have only actually won one of their last 5 at home, drawing 3 of them and we all know how Chesterfield love to draw and even with Allen gone they still drew 1-1 on Saturday. I'm not sure Chesterfield are that bad a side. A bad side wouldn't go unbeaten for so long so all in all I thought even money was about the right price for a home win.

7 minutes ago, Darran said:

Interesting that so many good players have stayed and they won their 1st 2 games after Robinson and the others left, before losing their next 3 league games. It has been reported that someone is ready to take over the club so not sure they will go pop and someone must be paying something at the moment. The club have said this week that Tamplin is in America under going treatment although I bet that isn't for what they said it was for. They are probably an attractive proposition for someone to take over as well, because the ground has been done up and looks good, plus they have decent crowds so a sustainable wage for the would still be good for the league. They are trying to get it down to £10k a week and that is a very good budget for the division.

Their current ground is only temporary as there's a Compulsory Purchase Order that kicks in in 2 or 3 years. Some new ring-road or motorway - they are going to need a new stadium, but there's plenty of groundshare options nearby if immediate funding isn't available.

Not heard anything concrete about new investment - it's gangster country so anything is possible.

Happy New Year 

13 minutes ago, LondonHibs said:

Their current ground is only temporary as there's a Compulsory Purchase Order that kicks in in 2 or 3 years. Some new ring-road or motorway - they are going to need a new stadium, but there's plenty of groundshare options nearby if immediate funding isn't available.

Not heard anything concrete about new investment - it's gangster country so anything is possible.

Happy New Year 

Can't remember the blokes name but it was in the story on the front page of the NLP a few weeks back.

my shortlist for today is:gateshead(being consistent and can overcome this opponent which has been on and off since the start of this season)

afc fylde(home turf has been so good and will try to stay in the play offs.

Bradford PA will try to maintain his top position against guiseley which hasn't been doing well in that league.

16 hours ago, Darran said:

Truro play their home games at Torquay so it is basically a home game for Torquay and no doubt they will get another 3000+ crowd. Hard to see how they don't win especially as Gloucester ended up giving them a scare on Saturday which should help keep them focused.

why Truro playing in Torquay home as your home ?

Happy New Year to all

Edited by buga00

Eastleigh vs Havant (1) 1.80 1u

Eastleigh were missing topscorer last game, but he is back today and Havant's defence are extremely porous.

Solihull Moors vs Chesterfield (1) 2.00 1u

Chesterfield's season opener against Ebbsfleet remains their only victory on the road while Solihull Moors are a typical home team and I expect them to prevail in the end, with Chesterfield's multiple changes today.

Barnet vs BorehamWood (2) +0.5 1.81 1u

Borehamwood's away record against mid-table teams is decent. Lineup is good today, i expect at least draw. 

Edited by cc135

6 minutes ago, Darran said:

What a start to 2019 that was. Chesham getting that 90th minute winner was a hell of result to go with Woking, Ebbsfleet, Stockport and Kings Langley. Hopefully it carries on being this good and I will certainly take 3 profitable days out of 4 over Christmas and New Year.

Nice one, Darran - that's over a 16pt profit by my calculations - Leiston came good for me, so I'm also ahead this calendar year!

1 hour ago, postmanplod69 said:

Great tipping, btw Truro are back at their old stadium till the end of the season the supermarket deal has hit a slight hitch.

Not quite true as apart from the trophy game they played their last month they have yet to announce when they will be back playing league games. Today’s match was at Torquay.

Ahhh just seen that was on the Torquay fans website a few weeks back a lot on there were saying they were there new years day but guessing its just Fa trophy games then.

Ill find out on 12th Jan if we draw with Truro in the trophy,

Was at Altrincham yesterday and first half especially Stockport were by far the better side second half Alty came in the game a lot more but to be honest Stockport didnt really look like conceding.

Defensively Stockport are a very Strong side, best ive seen them at this level and it should be a good game at edgeley park Saturday against second placed Bradford.