** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2020 Finish continued

waggy

On 5/21/2021 at 8:55 PM, waggy said:

The aim of 5k up by the end of the year is just that bit harder but it still can be done. On to Plan B.

As it's my day for offering unwanted advice on other people's threads I might as well share the "wisdom" around! ;)

Hopefully Plan B doesn't just involve increasingly larger "sh*t or bust" style staking but the average seems to have been creeping up a bit lately. Win or lose, risking £550 on a round of golf seems a bit hairy. I know you don't have any rules to constrain you, I'm just suggesting a pause for breath and rein it in a bit. Maybe risk a bit less and recalibrate that year end target to £4k?

Obviously everyone's free to ignore my pontifications; maybe I'm just jealous that you can all get such enormous bets on without coming up against restrictions! (Or maybe I should be flattered by that!)

Everyone's entitled to pass comments on these threads Harry. I don't consider £550 to be a particularly large bet these days and if you spread the bets around various bookies restrictions are usually no problem. The biggest bet I ever had (in today's money) was in the mid seventies and went a big way into acquiring my first house. That bet was probably my most scary one ever and never to be repeated, for reasons best kept to myself. 

1 hour ago, waggy said:

I don't consider £550 to be a particularly large bet these days

Fair enough, I was mainly thinking of it in terms of the proportion of the profit from the thread but I suppose perpetuating the thread isn’t your primary objective, i.e. when it’s gone it’s gone.

It would be a huge bet for me, largely by choice. I probably couldn’t get anywhere near that much on though, given the nature of the markets I bet on. If I’m only allowed £12.50 on a 6/1 shot I’m not going to bother with a next best 4/1 as, more often than not, that would be the difference between a value bet and a poor bet. Such are the pitfalls of betting in slightly more left field markets I guess.

The Manchester United fire power is usually quite potent, but not so on the night. I was well pleased though with the one goal. In hindsight perhaps not using Henderson for the pens was the biggest mistake on the night as David de Gea had not saved one in his last 40 for club and country.

9 hours ago, waggy said:

The Manchester United fire power is usually quite potent, but not so on the night. I was well pleased though with the one goal. In hindsight perhaps not using Henderson for the pens was the biggest mistake on the night as David de Gea had not saved one in his last 40 for club and country.

I cried for two hours ??

Sad night indeed for you Vikki. Plenty of success in the past though and probably more to come in the future. I was like you in my younger days but now I don't get upset anymore. But of course Hull City won promotion this year which was nice. 

8 hours ago, waggy said:

Sad night indeed for you Vikki. Plenty of success in the past though and probably more to come in the future. I was like you in my younger days but now I don't get upset anymore. But of course Hull City won promotion this year which was nice. 

whether Manchester United or not, any match that goes to penalties, I always feel bad for either team (except Argentina and Portugal??) and end up crying. haha.. I think penalties is the worst way to choose a winner or loser. So sad. Definitely worse that it was Manchester united. I was proud of them getting 10 in already. Definitely was really sad. I actually fell asleep crying. haha.. Silly me.. Euros coming and each time, I cry for England loads too haha.. doomed... ?? Hope you're well and good luck getting back to 3k!??

48 minutes ago, waggy said:

You may well be doomed Vikki but with Western United down 1-4 and another big bet on its way this thread could also be doomed. Hopefully the Wests can come good. 

6-1, Western have been extremely poor can barely string two passes together, very unusual.