** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Tips - December 29 - January 6

ATP Brisbane

James Duckworth @5.85 Pinnacle 3/10

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-injury-brisbane-international-return-hip-australian-open-atp-a8701651.html

Hip injuries are always very tough to overcome. There are a lot of examples where a serious hip injury ended a career. I don't know but what Murray said in the article isn't very good. He has still pain, he is only "feeling a bit better" than at the beginning of 2018 and he doesn't know how his hip reacts to some competition as training is a different thing an can't be compared to a regular match. We'll see in which condition Murray will show up. 

Duckworth on the other side just won the AO WC Playoffs two weeks ago with four wins in a row and 16 sets of tennis within six days so he should be really fit and in good shape, prepared well and i always was a huge fan of Duckworth who has an unreal amount of talent and could easily be a Top 50 player without those injuries.

I have to try the odds as i do expect a very good performance by Duckworth. Murray still full of questionmarks.

Hopman Cup

Maria Sakkari @ 3.73 Pinnacle 2/10

Wasn't impressed by Serena in Abu Dhabi vs. Venus. She looked slow and overweight, she made a lot of unforced errors and overall it was a pretty average performance. Now she has to travel from Abu Dhabi to Perth, not a big deal in 2018 but still has to be done. Sakkari already played a match in Perth, looked very good today. Can see her scoring the upset.

ATP Pune

Pablo Andujar @ 3.14 Pinnacle 5/10

I know Andujar was playing on clay most of the time in 2018 but he is a player who can be solid on any surface out there as he is very skilled and moving well. He did very well in 2018 coming back from a longterm injury and establishing himself in Top 100 again. Props to him. Donskoy is one of those players who are playing average for 8 or 9 months but having some good moments throughout the year but overall i am not afraid of him here. Andujar should have a good shot winning this.

ATP Pune

Arjun Kadhe @ 4.36 Pinnacle 5/10

Djere is more a claycourt player, less experience on outdoor hardcourt (record of 7-18 in last four years) and i don't rate him that high on faster surfaces tbh, Kadhe is playing his home tournament in Pune, i am a big fan of him, followed his career at college quite closely and i can see him breaking into Top 200 this year. I really think the guy has massive potential. He needs to raise his level of consistency.

ATP Brisbane

Ryan Harrison @ 2.82 Pinnacle 3/10

Harrison usually plays very well in Australia. Last year he reached the final in Brisbane and the third round in Melbourne. He likes the conditions and i expect another solid performance here.

Pick is mainly against Kyrgios who is already finding excuses for his 2019 season:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/nick-kyrgios-plays-down-expectations-ahead-of-2019-season/news-story/5060c04d1d81e0119e52e30930302316

Wouldn't be surprised if he totally fails at the beginning of the new season. 

ATP Pune doubles

P. Raja/R. Ramanathan @ 2.45 Pinnacle 3/10

N. S. Balaji/A. Kadhe @ 2.66 Pinnacle 3/10

Both matchups are looking more like 50/50 even matchups instead of giving those teams an advantage. Bambridge/O'Mara finished the year strong but let's see if they can confirm their good results in the 2019 season. Those indian doubles teams always very tough to beat at home.

ATP Doha

Tomas Berdych @ 1.943 Pinnacle 6/10

Berdych has a very good record in Doha: Semifinal in 2017 and 2016, Final in 2015. Usually Berdych always starts strong into a new season as he is very strong physical and in good shape.

On the other side Kohli had a slight injury over christmas. He had to wear a plaster on his right hand because of a tendonitis. He should be fit enough to play but not near 100% and lacking some practice sessions too. 

H2H 9-2 in favor of Berdych is also a strong argument.

Tomas Berdych to win ATP Doha @ 66.16 Pinnacle 1/10

First thing is Berdych avoiding Djokovic till the possible final.

His half is not that hard imo.

Thiem, Goffin, Cecchinato, Verdasco are beatable opponents.

Odds are looking reat. As i wrote he has a good history there.

6 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

Good luck with that, but I'm really skeptical. After all, he was considering quitting altogether at some point last year and he didn't play in the off-season either, even though he had plenty of chances.

He finished season early because of back problems and was focusing on the new season instead of playing some unimportant show matches & tournaments in the off season or czech league matches. A smart decision imo. He had a very good and long pre season in Monte Carlo and was doing all the stuff without problems / pain so i am pretty confident he will look good at the beginning of the season. We'll see how the body/back reacts to a long season and maybe the pain will come back after some time but he should be ready for the start. I read an interview with his new fitness coach Marek Vseticek and he said Berdych will be at 100% physical in Doha but obviously lacking some match/tournament experience.

Edited by opole

ATP Brisbane

Grigor Dimitrov x John Millman @2.02 5dimes 4/10

Not quite a fan of short odds and parlays but i have a good feeling with this one. 

Dimitrov had a very weak 2018 season dropping out of the Top 15 and nearly Top 20. He has to defend a Semifinal in Brisbane and USUALLY plays very strong in Australia. His results in Brisbane are good: Final 2013, Semifinal 2015, Quarterfinal 2016, Won 2017 and Semifinal 2018. So i do expect him beataing Nishioka. Nishioka is a weaponless grinder, Dimitrob should have too much.

Millman is playing his home tournament in Brisbane as it's his home town. He as a couple of very decent results vs. elite opposition like 64 67(8) 36 vs. Dimitrov, 64 46 36 vs. Federer or 16 75 36 vs. Murray. I expect a very strong performance this night and Sandgren is one of those players i expect to drop massively this year, he had a few good runs last year but overall i do not see him as a regular Top 60/70 player, should lose tons of points after Oz Open.

@opole That's what I'm hoping for as well for his sake, but I'm a bit scared that he's fallen into some sort of a Murray-like scenario now with the pain not being manageable long-term. His match against Kohli will reveal a lot obviously and he might be slight value for that given the German's own problems if he's indeed completely fit, so let's see. I was expecting him to play one or two matches in the Czech league though for some stress-free practice, especially since he did go to the Czech Republic for a quick advertising cash-grab not that long ago :lol.

@opole .. have u taken a look at any wta underdogs for todays matches.. I see something , and wanted ask if you had any chances before i mentioned my pick.. Also i'm not recording results again until january first atleast.  So I don't tip you off .. I am looking at matches Down under or in Shengzen with odds between 2.5 and 5.. I have found only one thing i feel comfortable with. 

Actually I will give a better hint .. The match is played at Shengzen

Edited by money44

2 hours ago, money44 said:

@opole .. have u taken a look at any wta underdogs for todays matches.. I see something , and wanted ask if you had any chances before i mentioned my pick.. Also i'm not recording results again until january first atleast.  So I don't tip you off .. I am looking at matches Down under or in Shengzen with odds between 2.5 and 5.. I have found only one thing i feel comfortable with. 

Actually I will give a better hint .. The match is played at Shengzen

So far i have nothing in my mind. What's your thought?

She won alot of matches at the beginning of last season, and has steadily increased her ranking over the past 4-5 years. I've seen footage on her, and she has a really good backhand.. forehand and second serve are issues, but she had 11 aces in her last match.. 8 double faults.. but she only had one double fault in her opening round match.  I've also read some info that Wang had some trouble with her ribs a couple months ago, and I know she has some other injuries in her arms that she was dealing with at some point.. Regardless, I am not hugely impressed with Xinyu Wang at this point, and I don't see her as a favorite in the match.  Xun came thru qualifying, and beat Lin Zhu in her last match who played some tough matches in this tournament last year. 

14 minutes ago, money44 said:

She won alot of matches at the beginning of last season, and has steadily increased her ranking over the past 4-5 years. I've seen footage on her, and she has a really good backhand.. forehand and second serve are issues, but she had 11 aces in her last match.. 8 double faults.. but she only had one double fault in her opening round match.  I've also read some info that Wang had some trouble with her ribs a couple months ago, and I know she has some other injuries in her arms that she was dealing with at some point.. Regardless, I am not hugely impressed with Xinyu Wang at this point, and I don't see her as a favorite in the match.  Xun came thru qualifying, and beat Lin Zhu in her last match who played some tough matches in this tournament last year. 

+ she beat Xin Yu wang already in 2017 63 63 on hardcourt...

I like your bet.

Still Xin YU wang is one of the best juniors in the world, ranked #2 in the world...but still very inconsistent

I like the theory but in reality it probably play out like books suggests. The super junior talent will beat the journeywomen in a close and competitive match.

Let's see..maybe it's worth a inplay bet...

Edited by opole