** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Understanding Racing Post

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of questions, hoping someone can help...

In picture RP - 1, I have highlighted where it says "Won last time; more needed off 11lb higher.....", how is he 11lb higher when he is now 11-10 and was 12-0 before ?

in picture RP - 2, i have highlighted where it says "Won well when last seen in May and could take step up in class in his stride.", at the top it says Class 3 and in the list of previous races it says class 3...what am i missing here

Appreciate any help, thank you

RP - 1.png

RP2 - 2.png

@TrueLooser

Hi mate welcome to the PL:

Your first question is regarding the Official rating which is different to the weights carried. The horse carried 12st at Exeter when his BHA rating was 107, he was put up 11lbs for that victory so his new mark is 118.
He is running here in the same class of race (Class 4) but a better one so actually carries less weight in the saddle.

Second question is a similar thing. Vice Et Vertu ran in a 0-125 Class 3 race and now is running in a 0-140 Class 3 race. So has moved up in class but stayed in the same grade. Class 3 races can be anywhere from 120-140

:ok

Thank you Billy,

so would i be right in saying...in RP - 3, Tornado in milan ran of a mark of 131 @ ludlow and was 10-12 but then when up to a mark of 136 in Ffo which wouldve put him up to 11-3 but also has +6 because of the class.

Apologies if this sounds daft but been trying to get my head round it for a while

RP2 - 3.png

Tornado In Milan

As you said ran off 131 at Ludlow, its a bit more complicated as to why he ran off that weight but i will try and explain.

He entered a 0-150 Class 2 chase. The highest weight that can be carried is 11st 12lbs so the highest rated runner in the race Just Cameron who was on 145 carried that weight. If you deduct Tornado In Milans rating from that (145-131= 14lbs) So Tornado In Milan carried 14lbs less than the top weight which gave him 10st 12lbs.

Its not straight forward as IF there had been a horse rated say 148 in the line up then that horse would carry the 11st 12lbs and Tornado In MIlan would have ended up on 10st 9lbs (3 less). So it just depends on the conditions of the race and which horses enter.

He then ran at Ffos Las , his new mark was 136 but they decided to run him in a Claiming Chase which is not based on handicap marks at all so this is very misleading. 

In Claiming races the trainer actually picks the weight for the horse which corresponds to a price that the horse can be claimed for after the race. They often get away with running old horses such as Tornado on weights lower than they should be if it was a handicap as it very rare for anyone to want to buy a 12yo chaser at the end of his career.

Just remember horse can only be entered for handicaps that fit there BHA rating and weights carried depend on who turns up  for these races, the highest rated runner gets top weight and the others are worked out from that and so on.... The weight they carry on the day is totally framed for that race only and has no bearing on its next outing. Its the rating that you need to concentrate on and the Class of the race and how strong that race is for the grade.

A bit complicated but easy when you now how:ok

7 minutes ago, TrueLooser said:

Thank Billy,

I think i'm getting it....

so if a race is rated 0-123 and the top horse is rated 120 and is 11-12, then another horse rated 113 then he would 7lb lower

:ok

BHA Guide to handicapping

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/regulation/guide-to-handicapping/

There are some good threads on the PL if you use the search facility.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Billy, that has made a difference...i was £330 up yesterday thanks to having a better understanding...check out the pic (obviously a couple of losers as well, can't win um all)

the info on those pages together with the way i looked at it before really helps

As a tester if you like...my prediction for 11:30 Lingfield is: Showmethedough

1.png

3 hours ago, TrueLooser said:

We are!!

What about when RP just has a dash (-) in the OR, how do you know if it's gone up or down

Not sure without the example but I'm guessing its a novice race.

All horses need 3 outings before the handicapper will give it a mark, they can give one after 2 starts if placed on both. Sometimes novice chasers will be given their hurdle mark if going straight into a novice handicap chase instead of an ordinary maiden chase.

All horses ratings and changes from last week are on public view at the BHA website
New Ratings are published on Tuesday mornings.

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/regulation/official-ratings/ratings-database/