** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Non-League Predictions > November 13th

Darran

Not too many Non-League games this mid-week but a couple of matches have caught my eye from a betting point of view.

Hereford v Southport (National League North)

The knives are out for Marc Richards from the Hereford fans already. The fans weren't happy in the first place that he was the new manager and given they are yet to win under him they are getting angrier by the match. Opposing them on Saturday was a very profitable decision as FCUM ran out 3-1 winners having scored their goals in the space of 4 1st half minutes. They are now in the relegation zone and if Ricco doesn't turn it around soon then he will probably regret moving from Gloucester last month and taking up the role here. Usually I would want to oppose a team who are coming off the back of a big FA Cup win as Southport are doing, but there are strong signs that they are turning their season around. They put in a very impressive performance to win 4-1 against Kidderminster in their last league game and then followed that up with a 2-0 win against Boreham Wood on Saturday which was a good effort as Wood always make themselves hard to beat. I hope that those performances mean they now have the momentum and instead of being distracted by the Cup they use it as an incentive to start climbing the table especially as they face a team who are going to be under huge pressure in front of their own fans. At 89/50 with Marathon I think Southport are a decent bet.

Dartford v Oxford City (National League South)

After watching my 7th game of the season in this division on Saturday I feel strongly that their is little between the sides in this division this season and games are generally being won via small margins rather than teams being superior. That means taking short odds is going to generally be a bit of a risky proposition, however I am going to back Dartford here because I think there is a very strong case to do so. Dartford have only lost once in their last 7 games and are finally getting going after a slow start to the season. At home they have only lost once so far and given the tightness of the division they will be one of many teams eyeing up a play-off spot. They didn't have a game on Saturday so will have had extra rest ahead of this one which is something Oxford certainly didn't have. Fair play to City because I didn't think they would be in the hat for the 2nd Round draw, but they put in a hell of a performance to draw 3-3 with Tranmere on Saturday. That game is surely going to have left it's mark and it would be easy to think they will be having their minds on the replay which must have a high chance of being on TV. Prior to winning at Hampton last time out they had only picked up 1 away point all season and that came at Weston. The home side are basically even money with Marathon and for me there are very sound reasons to think that is too big.

Southport 2pts @ 89/50 with Marathon

Dartford 3pts @ 99/100 with Marathon

@Darran @StevieDay1983

As I have now moved to Devon, I went to watch my local side on Tuesday, Torquay (against St Albans). I have to say how refreshing it was to go to a good old fashioned game like this. . £12 to get in, we stood on the terrace, and had 2 pints with 2x burger & chips for £11. A pie and a pint at Brighton is £9! 

The atmosphere in the "Popside" was terrific, with most of the 1500 camped down the side terrace. I was suitably impressed with the Gulls, as they should be playing L2 at least playing like this. St Albans came into this match 4th in the league, with the best attack, but they looked anything like playoff contenders. Torquay had tons of pace and a creative midfield. If it was 8 or 9  to Torquay, no one would have argued. St Albans tired in the 2nd half, and Torquay took full advantage with wave after wave of attacks.

i'd feel confident backing them to win most weeks, and also scoring goals, especially if Jamie "Reeeedy" Reid is playing.

GJ is obviously loving it, and quite rightly milked the applause at the end. The fans love him, and there is a real feel good factor at the club at the moment.

Get on the Gulls this season is my motto!

14 hours ago, Tiffy said:

@Darran @StevieDay1983

As I have now moved to Devon, I went to watch my local side on Tuesday, Torquay (against St Albans). I have to say how refreshing it was to go to a good old fashioned game like this. . £12 to get in, we stood on the terrace, and had 2 pints with 2x burger & chips for £11. A pie and a pint at Brighton is £9! 

The atmosphere in the "Popside" was terrific, with most of the 1500 camped down the side terrace. I was suitably impressed with the Gulls, as they should be playing L2 at least playing like this. St Albans came into this match 4th in the league, with the best attack, but they looked anything like playoff contenders. Torquay had tons of pace and a creative midfield. If it was 8 or 9  to Torquay, no one would have argued. St Albans tired in the 2nd half, and Torquay took full advantage with wave after wave of attacks.

i'd feel confident backing them to win most weeks, and also scoring goals, especially if Jamie "Reeeedy" Reid is playing.

GJ is obviously loving it, and quite rightly milked the applause at the end. The fans love him, and there is a real feel good factor at the club at the moment.

Get on the Gulls this season is my motto!

I was big on them a couple of weeks ago and they drew with the bottom side Weston! As I mention above the league is very tight and I don't think there is much between the teams at all and most are capable of beating each other. Torquay have improved massively for Gary though. St Albans score a lot and concede a lot already been over 60 goals in their matches now and I would be a little surprised if they end up in the play-offs.

3 hours ago, Darran said:

I was big on them a couple of weeks ago and they drew with the bottom side Weston! As I mention above the league is very tight and I don't think there is much between the teams at all and most are capable of beating each other. Torquay have improved massively for Gary though. St Albans score a lot and concede a lot already been over 60 goals in their matches now and I would be a little surprised if they end up in the play-offs.

Yes, I think St Albans are a busted flush now. They didn't have the legs on Tuesday, and against full time sides who are fitter, playing on on heavy pitches, they will find it difficult.

Glad to hear things are looking up for Torquay, @Tiffy. Our university football team had a random cluster of Gulls fans in our team. I think there were four of them? So I've always been keen to see them do well. Johnson was an inspirational appointment and could they be worth an outside punt to go up this season through the play-offs?