** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Tips - 2018 Off-Season

• 3 weeks later...

Another season comes to an end, so let me now sum things up a bit.

Last year, I had a fairly tough time writing the summary, as the results were simply awful - in fact, the worst ever. This time around, they are much better, with picks posted by me finishing with a very juicy ROI of 108.62%. There were exactly 391 picks in total, so slightly more than one per day, and I'm really not sure what to be critical of this time around. The start of the season was fairly average, then it went down a bit and I was hovering with a small profit only, but, since the tournament that Basilashvili won came around, it was a fairly uphill climb with a marvelous finish that led to such a good ROI in the end. The pre-season picks did well too, but that was pretty much locked in as soon as Simona Halep won the French Open at the end of the first half of the season.

As far as 2019 is concerned, I don't even know what to think just yet. Novak Djokovic should be the main star if he remains healthy and at least somewhat motivated, but it's hard to guess beyond that, as there are massive questions around Nadal/Federer/Murray that even they might not be able to answer right now. It would be nice for all of them to get at least one bonus year, but that's probably not likely to happen without some lucky breaks. I'm also looking forward to what Raonic is going to attempt after a poor year, while the likes of Thiem and Zverev should only climb honestly. Fingers crossed that at least one "youngster" gets a Grand Slam title in the next season, as those tournaments have been a bit boring for a while winner-wise.

The WTA should be crazier and I'm really looking forward to that - not only because of all the different changes to the tournament structure below the WTA circuit, but also because it's essentially guaranteed that there isn't going to be any sort of a dominance anywhere. Simona Halep is going coach-less for a while, which is something I don't see working out well in all honesty, but who knows. Plenty of young players can shine, including Garcia, Ostapenko, Osaka, Kasatkina, and Sabalenka. I'm probably going to dive into some pre-season bets again at some point, but there's plenty of time for that.

Finally, I would also like to say a few words about the tennis forums, which were surprisingly active throughout the entire season - and that is something I'm very thankful for. I'm not even going to try to tag all you great guys in this post, as I'm sure that I would miss some and that wouldn't be fair. I only hope that we'll all be able to come together again for the next season - and that perhaps some new faces are going to join in as well.

With that, let me wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year - and stay safe. See you in 2019!

ITF Women Hua Hin

Supapitch Kuearum vs. Himeno Sakatsume

Both are very young, Kuearum born 2002 (16 yrs) and Sakatsume born 2001 (17 yrs). Both also very solid at junior level. Kuearum career high #89 and Sakatsume career high #113 so they might be talented. I think the difference is only small between them as the junior rankings are showing. Kuearum has some really solid results like a tight loss to indian top talent Zeel Desai or a won set vs. Nudnia Luangnam. She also beat Yadlapalli who is ranked #283 in the world right now. Here she is playing at home and Sakatsume has solid results too but can't see such a huge difference there. I wached some video material of both and i doubt there is a huge gap between them right now. Odds are looking really good.

Supapitch Kuearum @ 4.59 Pinnacle 2/10

Turkey F38

Maciej Rajski vs. Gabriel Donev

Rajski is a solid player with good serve and powerful groundgame, i saw him several times and i think he should have a decent chance to beat Donev who is nothing special to be honest. Donev is 22 years old and never played above ITF level in his career, he never won a ITF tournament also, Rajski is far more experienced and has won sets or matches vs. well known names like Auger-Aliassime, Paul, Giustino, Blancaneaux, Mukund, Basso, Marti, Riba, Gojo, Koepfer, Kolar, Zapata Miralles, Brkic, Nagal or Hassan. As you guys can see very solid opposition. I know his form isn't as strong as it should be but he should be the better player here. Odds are looking definitely a way too high.

Maciej Rajski @ 2.78 Sbobet 3/10

Dominican Republic F1

Joao Hinsching vs. Maksim Tikhorimov

Hinsching is solid, he has a huge serve and can make easy points on faster surfaces like in Santo Domingo. He had a couple of decent results vs. solid opposition recently (Joao Souza, Nicolas Santos) and for example was able to beat Oscar Jose Gutierrez on hardcourt who is ranked #390 in the world right now. He also beat top prospect Aaron Schmid from Switzerland twice this year. I think he should hang with Tikhorimov here, his serve should be enough to make it a close affair. Tikhorimov is nothing special, 27 years old and never ranked higher than #729.

Joao Hinsching @ 4.25 5dimes 1/10

Edited by opole

4 hours ago, opole said:

Dominican Republic F1

Joao Hinsching vs. Maksim Tikhorimov

Hinsching is solid, he has a huge serve and can make easy points on faster surfaces like in Santo Domingo. He had a couple of decent results vs. solid opposition recently (Joao Souza, Nicolas Santos) and for example was able to beat Oscar Jose Gutierrez on hardcourt who is ranked #390 in the world right now. He also beat top prospect Aaron Schmid from Switzerland twice this year. I think he should hang with Tikhorimov here, his serve should be enough to make it a close affair. Tikhorimov is nothing special, 27 years old and never ranked higher than #729.

Joao Hinsching @ 4.25 5dimes 1/10

Did you watch the game ? :lol Hinsching must be the most limited player in the whole tennis world

20 minutes ago, Simeon Borisof said:

Did you watch the game ? :lol Hinsching must be the most limited player in the whole tennis world

Judging a player because of one game is simply the dumbest thing you can do as a punter but obviously he is no world beater.

Hinsching lost 36 63 36 for the record.

Edited by opole

USA F34

J. Brooksby/A. Gautier vs. B. Arias/C. Geens

Both Brooksby and Gautier made it past the first round, won their singles matches yesterday and so they should be motivated and fit for the doubles match today. I doubt there is a huge gap in terms of quality between both teams. Odds should be more equal.

J. Brooksby/A. Gautier @ 3.10 goldenpalace 4/10

Simeon Borisof. If you're going to comment here.. Maybe you should keep your words with information or kindness.. This is a cooperation.. Not making jokes out of elite member recommendations. @Simeon Borisof Maybe you do not understand odds.. But opole is betting for value with prices greater than 3/1.  This man putting money down, and you are laughing, and making a mockery of his suggestions.. 

I hope that you never write comments like this again, and get a clue on how to treat people with respect. 

You could say u watched the match, and were not impressed with a specific player.. then explain why.. That might be a better way to get your point across.. Does he have a flat playing style.. type of racquet. - not a good athlete etc.. Good luck!

Edited by money44

57 minutes ago, money44 said:

Simeon Borisof. If you're going to comment here.. Maybe you should keep your words with information or kindness.. This is a cooperation.. Not making jokes out of elite member recommendations. @Simeon Borisof Maybe you do not understand odds.. But opole is betting for value with prices greater than 3/1.  This man putting money down, and you are laughing, and making a mockery of his suggestions.. 

I hope that you never write comments like this again, and get a clue on how to treat people with respect. 

You could say u watched the match, and were not impressed with a specific player.. then explain why.. That might be a better way to get your point across.. Does he have a flat playing style.. type of racquet. - not a good athlete etc.. Good luck!

What is wrong with you? I was making fun of Joao not of opole or his bet.Get real, kiddo

3 hours ago, opole said:

USA F34

J. Brooksby/A. Gautier vs. B. Arias/C. Geens

Both Brooksby and Gautier made it past the first round, won their singles matches yesterday and so they should be motivated and fit for the doubles match today. I doubt there is a huge gap in terms of quality between both teams. Odds should be more equal.

J. Brooksby/A. Gautier @ 3.10 goldenpalace 4/10

Match was cancelled, there is an Alternate team to play...so void!

35 minutes ago, Simeon Borisof said:

What is wrong with you? I was making fun of Joao not of opole or his bet.Get real, kiddo

And i told you judging a player from one match is dumb, i never read anything of you here so far so feel free to post your picks and your thoughts about players and we'll see.

Your judgement about the guy was a joke as "the most limited player in the world" would not beat names i mentioned or wins sets against players i mentioned. This is Top 500 world level and not a club level from a small town. You clearly have no real knowledge of tennis or you would not write such a stuff like "most limited player in the world"...

Jenson Brooksby is going strong, he knocked out first seed Michael Redlicki yesterday. I think he wins the Waco futures tournament. @opole what's your opinion on Jenson Brooksby? He didn't leave mutch of an impression when I saw him versus John Millman in US open but I think he's got some good chances for a decent career. He could defenitely win the Waco futures.

1 hour ago, four-leaf said:

Jenson Brooksby is going strong, he knocked out first seed Michael Redlicki yesterday. I think he wins the Waco futures tournament. @opole what's your opinion on Jenson Brooksby? He didn't leave mutch of an impression when I saw him versus John Millman in US open but I think he's got some good chances for a decent career. He could defenitely win the Waco futures.

He definitely had a breakthrough year in 2018, winning the Easter Bowl and reaching the sf. of the US Open beating Top 5 Junior Brandon Nakashima twice. His results at the pro level are looking better too. He had a couple of decent results this year at ITF and also Challenger Tour level. I think he definitely has talent and potential but obviously lacking some major weapons in his game. His serve is a bit too inconsistent yet, also lacking power and speed, needs to work on that. His ground game is solid for an 18 yo prospect i think. I probably could name 10 better talents here at his age but Brooksby is the only one who is playing right now at the end of the season and he is winning matches vs. solid opposition.

Nick Chappell to beat Jenson Brooksby at 2.00 with bet365

I think Chappell should win this match. Brooksby has had to many problems for my liking to win this. Nick is decent and I don't think Jenson can beat another top opponent like he did yesterday. I get an unsecure feeling when thinking of Jenson to win. I don't think he's been solid enough to win.

Jenson Brooksby to beat Maxime Cressy at 3.00 with bet365

I got to change my mind on Jenson because the fact is that Jenson is coming strong now. I think he'll be dangerous for players around 400-800 in ranking next year as he is this tournament. Right now I think Jenson is at a level of around 600 in ranking and that's enough to beat players like Nick Chappell and Maxime Cressy. Jensons ranking is 1600+ but he's better than that and sooner or later he'll start racking up the ranking points and climb hundreds of places. This tournament is the sooner tournament. He will already now climb minimum 600 places and it might even be enough to break top 1000 but a title in Waco gives him a ranking of around 750. Maxime is 21 years old and ranked 720 which is close to his his career high 716 which he achieved late this month and he might be pretty good right now and will give Jenson a fight but Jenson can play and keep this match on his own terms and it's gonna be interesting if Jenson starts to hold serve easily again like he did the last four sets he played.

I don't know. Cressy is a very one-dimensional player in my opinion. He is tall, has a huge serve but his ground game is very very limited i think. Very inconsistent from the baseline, he obviously likes faster surfaces but i think Brooksby isn't the best matchup. I would not touch -1.5 sets here and the normal win is too short too. But good luck.

edit:
Saw your post now, i think it's a smart move to go on Brooksby here. He is on a mission this week as it seems. Could easily win the tournament.

Edited by opole

To Finish In Year End ATP Top 10 2019 

Stefanos Tsitsipas at 5.00 with Paddypower

To Finish In Year End WTA Top 10 2019

Jelena Ostapenko at 3.50 with Paddypower

Top Ranked American ATP Player On 31/12/2019

Frances Tiafoe at 6.50 with Paddypower

Top Ranked American WTA Player On 31/12/2019

Sloane Stephens at 3.00 with Paddypower

Top Ranked British ATP Player on 31/12/2019

Kyle Edmund at 2.75 with Paddypower

Top Ranked Rest Of The World ATP Player on 31/12/2019

Kei Nishikori at 5.00 with Paddypower

Daria Kasatkina to reach at least one Grand Slam Singles Final in 2019 at 3.50 with Paddypower

Who Will Be Ranked ATP Singles No.1 on 31/12/2019

Sascha Zverev at 8.00 with Paddypower

41 minutes ago, four-leaf said:

@opole Jack Draper is an interesting player, what's your knowledge of him?

Very very very promising youngster. I would compare him to Denis Shapovalov. Has a similar style and is also a lefty if i remember correctly. Bloody young and already winning futures left and right. I hope he will turn pro fully in 2019 focusing to translate to the challenger circuit. He already is ranked inside Top 500 so he can easily play challenger qualification with being seeded there i think. Also very promising he is an allrounder, can play on all surfaces. 

Tamara Zidansek to beat (-5.0) Karman Thandi at 1.93 with Pinnacle

Tamara is the heavy fav here and rightly so. She is the best player of the tournament and will most likely win this and it's gonna be by more than 5 games I suppose so why not have a bet on this this line. Karman got broken left and right in the semi and it would be surprising if anything but a clear Tamara victory comes in this final.

@four leaf .. I don't like your zidansek pick.. Have not researched it but good luck .. I think its dangerous to lay all those game, but I really do hope you win for both for selfish reason,  so my underdog in usa sports wins instead of those matches :loon

Also I'm not posting matches atleast until tomorrow but probably I will wait until next year.. However does anyone know why Stanek such a big dog coming off an 6-0, 6-0 performance in his home country ... looks super juicy to me.. calling all dogz.. steal the action if you want.. Bark !! :ok

no official plays listed here. 

updated record 28-39 +35.37 units, and I will be rolling stats through next season, and "not" tracking year by year. 

Also i saw opole mention that Draper is a lefty .. have not seen him .. maybe once.. Stanek is a lefty .. maybe someone can watch, and report his talent level.  I have seen young  Czech Vit Kopriva, and is mega talented in my opinion.. He hits the ball flat, with good technique, and control. Maybe he needs some time to recover, because his legs are probably toasted right now.. I seen him running all over the place... probably doing that all year, and then he lost couple matches recently also.. but who knows when he recovers.

Edited by money44