** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Championship Predictions > Aug 24th - 26th

Middlesbrough vs West Brom

There is a Friday night kick-off in the Championship this weekend and it's between two sides that have been switching between the Premier League and the Championship on a number of occasions over the past decade or so. Middlesbrough welcome West Brom to the Riverside for this 7:45pm match tomorrow.

This season is all about building on the positive previous campaign. Tony Pulis will have been gutted to lose Adama Traore, Ben Gibson, Fabio, and Patrick Bamford for a total of at least £45 million. The money has been partially re-invested into the team with the likes of Jordan Hugill, Aden Flint, Mohamed Besic, and Paddy McNair coming in. Pulis has led his side to 2nd place in the Championship but you feel he would still want to strengthen further.

West Brom had an uncertain start to life in the second tier after their relegation from the Premier League. Many felt Darren Moore's side had under-estimated their opposition as they lost at home to Bolton and drew away to Nottingham Forest in their first two matches. It seems the Baggies have woken up in their last two encounters with back-to-back wins against Norwich away and QPR at home. Moore's side have scored 11 goals in those two games including 7 against the Hoops at the Hawthorns.

A number of expected departures hit West Brom over the summer. The sale of Jonny Evans to Leicester for just £3.5 million left a sour taste in the mouth and the exits of Gareth McAuley, Allan Nyom, Salomon Rondon, James McClean, Ben Foster, and Claudio Yacob saw a wealth of experience leave the club. However, the arrival of new faces such as Harvey Barnes, Dwight Gayle, Sam Johnstone, and Kyle Bartley has softened the blow of the departures and arguably made the squad stronger than last season.

I'm expecting a tense encounter here. West Brom appear to have finally arrived in the Championship. Their fans are buzzing after the midweek annihilation of QPR. Let's try not to get carried away by that score. Steve McClaren is managing a sinking ship without any financial backing, a poor talent pool, and limited managerial capabilities.

On that basis, I think we could see Middlesbrough either sneak this or be denied by their own profligacy. They have won 9 of their last 10 home games in the Championship so it will be a tough challenge for the travelling Baggies. Still, West Brom are in lethal form in front of goal so Middlesbrough will be very brave to rely on shutting the visitors out. I think backing a draw and both teams to score could be a wise option. Although going outright is a huge risk I fancy being more whimsical this week!

Draw @ 3.30 with BetStars

BTTS @ 1.80 with Betfair

@waynecoyne, @sajtion, @arvee, @canaries91, @Mindfulness, @betcatalog, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @CloughandTaylor, @Tiffy, @PokerWolf1, @teddybear3011, @skyblues88, @allyhibs, @Icongene, @KikoCy, @willie82, @Neubs, @Papa Lazarou, @kulikTS, @Valkovets, @harry_rag, @Pipoca, @padman, @Marek76, @silver fox, @neilovan, @HastGill1, @jazzman02, @andypaps28, @Kenton Schweppes, @Xcout, @Wanderer89, @four-leaf, and @the bastardian, let us know your thoughts on these upcoming matches. Plenty to talk about carrying on from the midweek matches.

Middlesbrough v West Bromwich

Middlesbrough: Daniel Ayala (0/0 d), Jordan Hugill (0/0 f)(both doubtful), Rudy Gestede (0/0 f), Harry Chapman (0/0 f)

West Bromwich: Craig Dawson (0/0 d, doubtful)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich

This week it was tough to pick out a game to preview because there's so many finely balanced fixtures this weekend. Yes, it's the Championship so it's like that every season but it's still hard work to find the value in this division. I eventually decided to go with Sheffield Wednesday hosting Ipswich at Hillsborough for this 3pm kick-off on Saturday afternoon.

One post stood out in my mind by our resident Owls fan @waynecoyne and that was how Jos Luhukay changed his tactics for the midweek game against Millwall and it delivered a win. Now, it appears Millwall are struggling to get wins so far this season but that loss was their only league defeat so far. Not a bad result for Wednesday. So is this a turning point?

Paul Hurst has been fighting a losing battle to get his ideas working at Ipswich. The problem with the Tractor Boys is that they still have a board that are afraid to invest. It appears they are happy to just tread water in the Championship. The only problem is that sooner or later they're going to run out of energy and sink. The summer transfer business was underwhelming to say the least and the departures of Adam Webster and David McGoldrick haven't been dealt with by new signings of any real prestige.

Basically, I think unless something radical happens at Portman Road I think Ipswich could fast become a side that are staring at a possible relegation battle this season. They just about stayed above it under the experienced stewardship of Mick McCarthy so the inexperienced Hurst is likely to face an uphill battle early in his managerial career.

In this game, I think Wednesday have to be backed at this price. I was tempted by a draw but I think if Luhukay continues with this change in strategy then it could be effective against the teams around their level in the table. It might not be pretty but sometimes you have to win ugly. I'll be interested to hear Wayne's thoughts but a home win and both teams to score could be a worthwhile bet because I still don't trust that Owls back-line to keep a clean sheet.

Sheffield Wednesday to Win @ 2.50 with Bet365

BTTS @ 1.95 with BetStars

Swansea vs Bristol City

Ah, what a beautiful sight. The two biggest rivals of Cardiff facing each other in the division below! I'm not one to gloat but... :lol. In all seriousness, I've chosen Swansea versus Bristol City in a 3pm kick-off this Saturday afternoon at the Liberty Stadium to preview because the home team's value is too tempting to avoid.

Swansea have had an encouraging start to the season. Graham Potter has dealt with a fair amount of criticism over the club's lack of movement in the transfer market. Brentford midfielder Ryan Woods signing for Stoke has riled fans who all felt the Swans should have sealed his signature a long time ago. However, one has to question how much of that lack of activity was Potter's decision and not the board clipping his wings?

Bristol City are another side that have been mysteriously negative with their transfers. The sales of Aden Flint, Bobby Reid, and Joe Bryan is hardly the act of an ambitious club. Especially when you consider a fraction of the incoming funds have been spent on replacement players who really don't look like they fill the boots of those that have left.

I've said repeatedly on here that Swansea's lack of transfer activity will only become an issue as the season wears on. For the time being, they have a more than competent match day squad. It's easy to forget that Potter has still brought in the likes of Barrie McKay, Bersant Celina, and Declan John. This is a Swans side that also almost took all three points against a rampant Leeds side.

My opinion is that Swansea have the better squad, the more competent manager, and the home advantage here. The odds being offered mean it's a calculated risk to back them for a win. I understand why Swans supporters are frustrated but they are only 2-3 additions away from having a side that could challenge for the Championship title. Most teams in this division would give anything to be in that position.

Swansea to Win @ 2.38 with BetVictor

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.88 with Blacktype

Aston Villa v Reading FC

Aston Villa: Alan Hutton (4/1 d, probably in), Keinan Davis (0/0 m), Scott Hogan (0/0 f)

Reading FC: Chris Gunter (0/0 d), Dave Edwards (0/0 m), Garath McCleary (0/0 f), Jordan Obita (0/0 m)

Norwich City v Leeds United

Norwich City: Kenny McLean (2/0 m), Carlton Morris (0/0 f), Matt Jarvis (0/0 m), Mario Vrančić (0/0 m)

Leeds United: Pontus Jansson (1/0 d), Stuart Dallas (1/0 m)(both doubtful), Liam Cooper (3/1 d, captain), Adam Forshaw (0/0 m)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Football Facts and Streaks regarding Championship

Aston Villa has over 2.5 goals in their last 3 home games in Championship.
Leeds United has over 2.5 goals in their last 3 away games in Championship.
Norwich City won their last 4 games in Championship.
Aston Villa scored in last 14 home games in Championship.
Birmingham City has under 2.5 goals in their last 4 away games in Championship.

You can find interesting 101 Football Betting Streaks for 25.08.2018 on this link ... http://eurofootballrumours.com/football-facts-and-streaks-25-08-2018-10982

18 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich

This week it was tough to pick out a game to preview because there's so many finely balanced fixtures this weekend. Yes, it's the Championship so it's like that every season but it's still hard work to find the value in this division. I eventually decided to go with Sheffield Wednesday hosting Ipswich at Hillsborough for this 3pm kick-off on Saturday afternoon.

One post stood out in my mind by our resident Owls fan @waynecoyne and that was how Jos Luhukay changed his tactics for the midweek game against Millwall and it delivered a win. Now, it appears Millwall are struggling to get wins so far this season but that loss was their only league defeat so far. Not a bad result for Wednesday. So is this a turning point?

Paul Hurst has been fighting a losing battle to get his ideas working at Ipswich. The problem with the Tractor Boys is that they still have a board that are afraid to invest. It appears they are happy to just tread water in the Championship. The only problem is that sooner or later they're going to run out of energy and sink. The summer transfer business was underwhelming to say the least and the departures of Adam Webster and David McGoldrick haven't been dealt with by new signings of any real prestige.

Basically, I think unless something radical happens at Portman Road I think Ipswich could fast become a side that are staring at a possible relegation battle this season. They just about stayed above it under the experienced stewardship of Mick McCarthy so the inexperienced Hurst is likely to face an uphill battle early in his managerial career.

In this game, I think Wednesday have to be backed at this price. I was tempted by a draw but I think if Luhukay continues with this change in strategy then it could be effective against the teams around their level in the table. It might not be pretty but sometimes you have to win ugly. I'll be interested to hear Wayne's thoughts but a home win and both teams to score could be a worthwhile bet because I still don't trust that Owls back-line to keep a clean sheet.

Sheffield Wednesday to Win @ 2.50 with Bet365

BTTS @ 1.95 with BetStars

hi stevie-i like the btts bet but am unsure about the outcome. I have already backed Ipswich at 3/1 and will stick with that but the result is difficult to call and it will be interesting to see the line up for Wednesday as forestieri was left on the bench in midweek. Most people would stick with the same line up but Jos does seem to like to tinker.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, waynecoyne said:

hi stevie-i like the btts bet but am unsure about the outcome. I have already backed Ipswich at 3/1 and will stick with that but the result is difficult to call and it will be interesting to see the line up for Wednesday as forestieri was left on the bench in midweek. Most people would stick with the same line up but Jos does seem to like to tinker.

Never in doubt, pal! :lol

Sending Lucas Joao his cut of my winnings as we speak!