** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Non-League Predictions > August 18th

Darran

So the mid-week action was superb with 5 out of 6 winners. Obviously it was frustrating to be so close to all 6 winning given Havant were 3-1 up at one stage, but at the end of the day singles are were the day to day money is to be made and anything else is just a very nice bonus. Hopefully the good start to the season can be continued on Saturday and I have 7 bets across 3 of the 7 leagues.

Barnet v Ebbsfleet (National League)

Two teams I put up ante-post and I have been really disappointed with how Barnet have performed so far. They should be doing better than they are and as much as I think John Still will turn it around at some stage, I don't see how they can be odds on to win this game. Ebbslfeet have had a solid start to the season and have been playing better than their results suggest. They have only won one of their first 4 games, but they have been a bit unfortunate not to add to their points tally and they look in better shape than their hosts on Saturday. Marathon have an away win at 147/50 and that looks value to me.

Maidstone v Barrow (National League)

Barrow have had a superb start to the season especially given they were one of the market leaders to go down this season. To beat Chesterfield 3-2 on Tuesday night was a superb result even allowing for the fact Chesterfield went down to 10 men when they were 2-1 up. Their other 3 games have seen them beat Havant 3-0, get a fully deserved 2-2 draw at Leyton Orient and the one blip so far was a defeat at Halifax. Given that form I am not surprised to see they have been backed already for this, but at 13/5 (Marathon) I still think there is plenty of value to be had. I opposed Maidstone on Tuesday night with Orient and although they got 1 back late on to make it nervy, Orient were very comfortable for most of the evening. Barrow have certainly been the better of the two sides so far this season and they should be at least 74-15/8 for this in my view.

Dartford v Wealdstone (National League South)

Wealdstone may have needed a late penalty to see off Woking on Monday night, but they were good value for the victory and I am going to continue backing them at the weekend because they look a big price at Dartford. It will be a tough game, but for me there is noway they should be as big as 14/5 with Marathon as the teams are much closer together than the prices suggest. Dartford have had a tough start to the season fixture list wise and have done well enough to come away with 2 wins, a draw and a defeat. That defeat came on Tuesday night against Concord who have started the season in really good shape, but it showed that Dartford might not be quite up to the heights they achieved last season and with Wealdstone looking stronger I think they are more than up to picking up another 3 points here.

Truro v Welling (National League South)

To be fair to Truro they haven't done quite as badly as I thought they would after their management team left just before they played their 2nd game. They suffered their 2nd defeat of the season on Tuesday against Chippenham and they are yet to win this season, but picking up a couple of points is a fair achievement given all the off the field issues. Welling are favourites for this, but they should be. They did loose 3-0 against Billericay on Tuesday night, but they played better than the result suggests and they were playing the best team in the division. Truro are going to be in a relegation scrap this season and Welling should be looking at the play-offs and they should be up to winning this. Marathon go 131/100 about an away win.

Slough v Torquay (National League South)

Torquay were unbeaten in their first 3 games, but then lost on Tuesday night when losing to Oxford City 1-0. That is not a good result and as I wrote on here last weekend, they had been lucky to beat Bath in their 2nd game of the season. Beating East Thurrock in between those two games doesn't say a great deal given they have lost 4/4 and I think Slough can beat them. Slough made slightly harder work of it than I was hoping for when beating Weston on Tuesday, but crucially once they got 1 they added the 2nd pretty quickly to turn things around. This game will be tougher, but I think Slough have enough to see off a Torquay side who I think might be looking at mid-table obscurity this season.

Hartley Wintney v Frome Town (Southern League South)

The home side have got off to a cracking start in their first ever season at this level and it seems for now they are continuing on their form from last season when winning promotion. They have already beaten Poole and Gosport and this would look an easier game on paper. Frome drew with Hendon on the opening day and then lost to Tiverton on Tuesday. They were in all sorts of issues at the back end of last season and although they aren't as bad as that I certainly don't expect them to be in the top half of the table. The home side might drop away as the season progresses, but at the moment they are looking strong and Marathon's 27/20 is well worth taking.

Kings Langley v Taunton (Southern League South)

Taunton were only beaten late on by Weymouth on Tuesday night and that is a good effort against the favourites for promotion. As I wrote in my ante-post preview Taunton were really impressive when winning the league last season and they should be up there this time around as well. Kings Langley struggled badly last season and I fully expect them to be near the relegation zone this time around. Taunton at 11/8 with Marathon looks worth taking.

Ebbsfleet 1pt @ 147/50 with Marathon

Barrow 1pt @ 13/5 with Marathon

Wealdstone 1pt @14/5 with Marathon

Welling 2pts @ 131/100 with Marathon

Slough 1pt @ 29/20 with Marathon

Hartley Wintney 1pt @27/20 with Marathon

Taunton 1pt @ 11/8 with Marathon

Just a general update for anyone considering AFC Fylde or Solihull Moors this weekend. I watched them play each other in midweek. Was very impressed with Fylde's ability to change the play when necessary. A very versatile unit and having kept Danny Rowe must be a very good shout for at least a play off spot. Solihull are a big, direct and efficient side. That's it. They are good at what they do but will more often than not be beaten by the Division's better sides.

Not seen the odds but would strongly favour Fylde over Dover tomorrow. Intriguing game at Solihull where I would take Sutton on a plus.

In Vanarama South I think stuttering St. Albans will have enough over Oxford City.

I'm off to Bath City v Dulwich Hamlet where I expect the Romans to sneak a win.

Hey Darran, any tips regarding the Isthmian Prem? Whitehawk's amazing revival that was unfortunately in vain doesn't seem to have transferred over this season. Haven't seen you tip up anything this season yet! Just wondering if you still had your finger on the pulse?

2 hours ago, Johnmccain said:

Hey Darran, any tips regarding the Isthmian Prem? Whitehawk's amazing revival that was unfortunately in vain doesn't seem to have transferred over this season. Haven't seen you tip up anything this season yet! Just wondering if you still had your finger on the pulse?

Put my ante-post stuff up for the league, and put up Dorking to beat Bishops Stortford last Saturday. Steve King leaving Whitehawk was their main issue. If he had stayed I more than likely would have backed them for the league

Edited by Darran

4 hours ago, Johnmccain said:

Not Darran...but I watched Wingate/Hornchurch on Tuesday. A draw was fair as both sides had chances to win the match.

Enfield look the bet tomorrow to beat the Urns - I'm on Worthing as a solid single away to Harlow - the down side is I don't think they've ever beaten them in a competitive match.

Not seen enough as yet - Wingate missing 3 key players and may be worth opposing in their forthcoming matches.

Looking forward to today's action, maybe we have been pulled into a sense of euphoria over the midweek successes. 

Anyway taken Slough, Welling, Taunton, Hartley and Wealdstone in a five fold.

Gone a bit left field though on the my 4 fold, Ebbsfleet, Barrow, Gateshead and Hartlepool. Maidenhead travel up to Hartlepool and they look to be struggling quite badly, fair enough Hartlepool are no great shakes but they were priced over evens so thought it was worth it. Long trip for the strugglers with little or no travelling support to back them. Equally Gateshead tipped to struggle were priced at  12/5 today at Bromley, again, should they be priced so highly given there start and Bromley's rather indifferent start? We'll see how we go.

Some heavy weight clashes at non league level today, namely Salford v Chesterfield and Chorley v Hereford, be interesting to see how these two pan out.