** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Championship Predictions > Aug 7th - 11th

champodds.jpg

The next round of Championship fixtures are up next weekend but we have a couple of cheeky games being thrown in tomorrow night. Does anybody know why these games have been moved to the Tuesday when they've all played on Saturday and are due to play this weekend too? Let us know your tips for this next batch of matches! :ok

Based on the opening game performances leeds look big at 10/3 (marathonbet) to win at derby keogh is an accident waiting to happen. If hes trying to play from the back , i can see him in trouble against the nippy leeds players like saiz.

Hull were 3/1 to win at sheffield wednesday but this has shortened to 5/2. It will be an interesting week for wednesday as westwood was left out on saturday-looks like the club are trying to move him on and forestieri may be on his way too. Whilst the likes of van aken and palmer are in wednesdays defence we will be vulnerable. 

Edited by waynecoyne

I wasn't that impressed with Derby to be honest, so how Leeds are pushing 3/1 (4.00) considering how well they played at the weekend is puzzling. They look setup to attack home or away. Only 1 game but Leeds looked a side that could trouble anyone on that performance. I'd have Leeds around 2.70 ish based on both performances.

2 hours ago, Sir Puntalot said:

I wasn't that impressed with Derby to be honest, so how Leeds are pushing 3/1 (4.00) considering how well they played at the weekend is puzzling. They look setup to attack home or away. Only 1 game but Leeds looked a side that could trouble anyone on that performance. I'd have Leeds around 2.70 ish based on both performances.

Yeah, I think Derby could be a slow burner under Frank Lampard. Think they'll need to ride some tough times before. I think Leeds could be the opposite under Marcelo Bielsa. I'm given to understand he's making the players train three times a day to increase their fitness. Yes, that will work short term but over the course of a 46-game season they'll suffer burn out. His approach reminds me of that ex-Fulham manager Felix Magath. I can totally see Leeds setting the pace before Christmas but potentially falling off in the New Year. Still, that means they should be backed for the time being in my opinion.

ENGLAND CHAMPIONSHIP – INJURIES & SUSPENSIONS

Middlesbrough v Sheffield Utd

Middlesbrough: Paddy McNair (0/0 d), Daniel Ayala (0/0 d), Rudy Gestede (0/0 f), Adama Traoré (0/0 m)(all doubtful)

Sheffield Utd: Jake Wright (0/0 d), Paul Coutts (0/0 m)(both doubtful)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Looking at tonight's fixtures I quiet like the Middlesbrough v Sheff United game to go over 2.5 goals for the following reasons;

'Boro have not had a 0-0 first half in 9 regular home games in the league. The simple facts are these ... early goals lead to more goals, and about 90% of the teams have more 2nd half goals than first.

Both teams have high 1st half goal numbers.

A Decent price for the over 2.5 goal bet (2.2).

6 minutes ago, waynecoyne said:

you've collected already well done

Quite sweet to have it won inside 30 minutes. I have a funny feeling that Sheff United will fall off a lot this season. I think they were promoted in 2016 and after a decent start, struggled towards the end of the season last.

The Forest game is also going to plan. WBA conceded just 2 1st half goals in 9 away games in EPL last season. They were NO to btts 6 of 7 away games, not scoring more than 1 goal in any of 9 away games.

A good start never hurts :beer

Edited by neilovan

34 minutes ago, neilovan said:

Quite sweet to have it won inside 30 minutes. I have a funny feeling that Sheff United will fall off a lot this season. I think they were promoted in 2016 and after a decent start, struggled towards the end of the season last.

The Forest game is also going to plan. WBA conceded just 2 1st half goals in 9 away games in EPL last season. They were NO to btts 6 of 7 away games, not scoring more than 1 goal in any of 9 away games.

A good start never hurts :beer

I thought united would do well . they have a canny if obnoxious manager.

however last year they had a high functioning midfield: coutts, duffy, fleck.

when coutts broke his leg things fell apart- he is not yet fit.

duffy is a classy player but was left on the bench for the pedestrian lundstram. this mistake was compounded with the same 11 picked for this game. their strikers overachieved and they look weak in this department with ageing enigmatic players with little pace: Clarke, sharp and mcgoldrick. the model is to buy league 1 players but some work and some don't. mid table finish for me.

Edited by waynecoyne

Aston Villa vs Wigan

The first preview I have picked this week in the Championship is an intriguing one indeed. Losing play-off finalists from last season Aston Villa host Championship new boys Wigan at Villa Park in a 3pm kick-off on Saturday afternoon. Both teams started their campaign with a win and both teams scored three goals in their victories.

Steve Bruce defied the odds by guiding his team to a convincing 3-1 win away to Hull last weekend. His former stomping ground delivered much needed relief from a turbulent summer. The news that highly-rated midfielder Jack Grealish is set to stay at the club for the time being was also a welcome boost. A return to home turf now has them down as favourites but will it be an easy three points?

In Paul Cook, I believe Wigan have one of the most talented managers in the Football League. He's added experience to what was already a capable side over the summer. Their opening day 3-2 win over Sheffield Wednesday at home took some by surprise but it showed how they could be play-off dark horses this season.

The Villains will provide stern opposition for the Latics here. Villa have only lost 3 of their last 25 league matches at home. It was the foundation for their play-off push last season. Yes, they've not been able to bring in any players to strengthen the squad but I think John Terry leaving will allow Tommy Elphick to shine and if Bruce can keep things settled behind the scenes then Villa could emerge as promotion contenders.

For this game, I think Wigan will give it a good go but Villa will likely have too much. Both teams showed they have attacking prowess and I think we could see goals once again here. If I had to take a punt on correct score then I'd go for a 2-1 win for Villa in what could be an enthralling Championship match.

Aston Villa to Win @ 2.10 with BetVictor

BTTS @ 1.90 with SportingBet

@waynecoyne, @sajtion, @arvee, @canaries91, @Mindfulness, @betcatalog, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @CloughandTaylor, @Tiffy, @PokerWolf1, @teddybear3011, @skyblues88, @allyhibs, @Icongene, @KikoCy, @willie82, @Neubs, @Papa Lazarou, @kulikTS, @Valkovets, @harry_rag, @Pipoca, @padman, @Marek76, @silver fox, @neilovan, @HastGill1, @jazzman02, @andypaps28, @Kenton Schweppes, @Xcout, @Wanderer89, and @the bastardian, what bets are you guys lining up for this weekend?

Middlesbrough vs Birmingham

Two clubs that have enjoyed Premier League football quite recently go up against each other in this 3pm kick-off tomorrow afternoon when Middlesbrough welcome Birmingham to the Riverside. How will this game go with the home team having already played in midweek?

Tony Pulis almost guided his team to the Premier League last season but suffered heartbreak in the play-offs. Over the summer, he's added quality in Aden Flint, Paddy McNair, and Jordan Hugill. Unfortunately, the club has also seen a number of high-profile exits from the club such as Adama Traore, Fabio, Ben Gibson, and Patrick Bamford.

It was a fortunate start to the season with a 2-2 draw away to Millwall scoring two goals in the 87th minute and 97th minute (yes, 7th minute of injury time!) but the 3-0 destruction of Sheffield United on Tuesday night showed the potential power this Boro side can yield. There is still a feeling that the club needs to buy players before the transfer window closes but Pulis knows this team well enough now to make them difficult to beat.

Garry Monk saw moments of positive play in his Birmingham side last season. They clung onto their Championship status by the skin of their teeth. The former Swansea and Leeds manager has managed to prevent any players from leaving. David Davis being the key player staying on at St Andrew's. The additions of Kristian Pedersen, Gary Gardner, Omar Bogle, and Connor Mahoney will improve the squad so they can hopefully look up rather than down.

The Blues drew 2-2 with Norwich at home in their opening game. Viv Solomon-Otabor appeared to have grabbed a late winner for Monk's side in the 89th minute but the Canaries bagged a 94th minute equaliser through Onel Hernandez. It will be a gut-wrenching blow that will be tricky for the players to shake. It also begs questions about the mental strength of Birmingham again this season.

These are two teams that have capable managers at the helm but the squads themselves need improving before the end of August. I think Middlesbrough seem in a slightly better place and with players such as Flint, Shotton, Clayton, Howson, Assombalonga, and Braithwaite they have the stronger squad. Birmingham will be tougher to beat this season than last though. I can see a classic Pulis one goal smash and grab victory here.

Middlesbrough to Win @ 1.80 with Blacktype

Middlesbrough to Score First @ 1.57 with BetStars

On 8/6/2018 at 6:51 PM, StevieDay1983 said:

Yeah, I think Derby could be a slow burner under Frank Lampard. Think they'll need to ride some tough times before. I think Leeds could be the opposite under Marcelo Bielsa. I'm given to understand he's making the players train three times a day to increase their fitness. Yes, that will work short term but over the course of a 46-game season they'll suffer burn out. His approach reminds me of that ex-Fulham manager Felix Magath. I can totally see Leeds setting the pace before Christmas but potentially falling off in the New Year. Still, that means they should be backed for the time being in my opinion.

I hear what you are saying regarding Leeds, but...

If they really have a terrific start to the season, and put a decent run together, it has a subtle effect on the team. Belief grows, confidence grows, and trust in what they are doing grows. It would be a little like the crazy season when Leicester won the Premier League. Every week you kept on thinking "are the wheels coming off this weekend?" . But somehow they got over the line.

The one failing Leeds had last season was conceding goals on the road. In 7 of their last 8 away games, they conceded 2 or more goals. Has this problem been rectified ? Probably not, but they may just be a team that outscores quite a few opponents on the road this season. I think they will score plenty, especially before January. Thus the over 2.5 goals looks appealing to me here, at odds around even money.

Swansea City v Preston NE

Swansea City: Kyle Naughton (0/0 d, probably in), Wilfried Bony (0/0 f, doubtful), Leroy Fer (0/0 m)

Preston NE: Billy Bodin (0/0 m), Sean Maguire (0/0 f, last season top scorer)

Norwich City v West Bromwich

Norwich City: Ivo Pinto (0/0 d), Jordan Rhodes (1/0 f)(both doubtful), Jamal Lewis (0/0 m), Carlton Morris (0/0 f), Matt Jarvis (0/0 m)

West Bromwich: Craig Dawson (0/0 d, doubtful)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Nottingham Forest vs Reading

The final preview from this round of Championship matches is the 3pm kick-off from the City Ground where Nottingham Forest play Reading. Neither side managed a win in their first matches of the season so this is a huge opportunity to get their first three points of the campaign.

Aitor Karanka's side played in midweek and despite dominating the game were held to a 1-1 draw against West Brom after the away side scored their equaliser in the 87th minute. It was a disappointing result and compounded by the fact the Tricky Trees failed to beat Bristol City in their opening game last weekend. Four points dropped after just two games is not an ideal start for a side that are aiming for bigger and better things this season.

Paul Clement's reign as Reading continued in an underwhelming manner with their opening day loss to Derby. Yes, it can be argued they didn't deserve to lose but the lack of cutting edge quality in the final third remains an issue for the Royals. That could be a problem in this game. Forest have lost only one of their last eight home matches. Form at the City Ground is building.

I'm not saying alarm bells will start ringing for either side with a defeat here but there is already an element of awareness entering into the minds of their fans and that will remain until the first win. I really like the look of this Forest side. If new signing Michael Hefele can be half as good as he was for Huddersfield in the Championship then he could be a game changer. His presence at the back could help to shut out those sloppy goals they're conceding.

In my opinion, this is a game where Forest possess the stronger squad, the better manager, and home advantage. I can't see anything other than a home win. I think Forest will make amends for the missed chances in midweek and will be more deadly in front of goal here. Lewis Grabban and Daryl Murphy are born finishers at this level and I feel this could be another game where one, or both, of them score. I'm going to gamble here and push for a Forest win by at least two goals. I know, I've gone mad. I just fancy taking a big of a risk here.

Nottingham Forest -1 @ 3.00 with Betfair

Total Goals Scored Over 2.5 @ 2.10 with William Hill

3 hours ago, four-leaf said:

@StevieDay1983 what do you think of Swansea today? I've got them to win in a double with Aston Villa to win. What are my chances?

Sorry mate, just seeing this. Been absorbed by the build-up to Cardiff's return to the Premier League. They have brought in youngster Joe Rodon as second centre back today after selling the rest. He's inexperienced but highly rated by those within the Welsh football set-up. Tipped as a future regular international. The Swans will still be play-off contenders with the squad and manager they have. Even if they fail to add greatly before the transfer window closes. Think you've done well to back them.

6 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Sorry mate, just seeing this. Been absorbed by the build-up to Cardiff's return to the Premier League. They have brought in youngster Joe Rodon as second centre back today after selling the rest. He's inexperienced but highly rated by those within the Welsh football set-up. Tipped as a future regular international. The Swans will still be play-off contenders with the squad and manager they have. Even if they fail to add greatly before the transfer window closes. Think you've done well to back them.

I surely did well to back them and Aston Villa.. Proved to be a nice double coming in.