** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

FA Community Shield Predictions > Aug 5th

communityshield.jpg

The 2018/19 FA Community Shield will be contested between FA Cup winners Chelsea and Premier League title holders Manchester City. One team has undergone a managerial change this summer with Antonio Conte being replaced by Maurizio Sarri at Stamford Bridge. There is more stability at the Etihad Stadium with Pep Guardiola remaining in charge and keeping his transfer activity to a minimum.

This game is only just over a week away. What tips and bets do you guys have lined up for the season curtain raiser?

Chelsea vs Manchester City

The FA Community Shield is the traditional curtain-raiser for the English football season but, let's be honest, nobody really gives two hoots about it. So that's why betting on it becomes almost a necessity. In this year's game, Chelsea will play Manchester City in a 3pm kick-off at Wembley this Sunday.

Maurizio Sarri has taken charge at Stamford Bridge after the expected departure of Antonio Conte. In my opinion, this is a poor appointment and the Blues have lost one of the best young managers around. The former Napoli boss has already stolen talent from his old club with midfielder Jorginho moving to London for the handsome fee of £51.3 million. The signing of goalkeeper Robert Green was less exciting.

However, it's the alleged departures that will cause more concern for Sarri. The key trio of Thibaut Courtois, Eden Hazard, and Willian are all wanted and Chelsea will have to work miracles to keep all three at the club this season. In a worst case scenario, all three could leave and unless Chelsea make suitable replacements it could severely damage their hopes for this campaign. It'll be interesting to see if these three start on Sunday.

Things are slightly more settled at Manchester City. Pep Guardiola has room to wiggle with his side finishing so far clear ahead of the competition last season. His focus is to strengthen and already dominant machine. European success remains the ultimate aim. Paying £60 million for Riyad Mahrez remains a mystery to me but who am I to question Pep?

Interestingly, the club has recouped over £30 million of that transfer fee through the sales of Angelino, Pablo Maffeo, Angus Gunn, Olarenwaju Kayode, Bersant Celina, and Rodney Kongolo. Don't forget the huge wages freed up by the release of Yaya Toure. Little business was needed and the City squad still boasts a host of players capable of building on last season.

In this game, as usual, I'll expect a laidback affair. I'd be surprised if any players from the World Cup play. This could result in both sides playing weakened teams. Chelsea could potentially leave out their transfer speculation trio plus the likes of Cesar Azpilicueta, N'Golo Kante, and Olivier Giroud. City could be without a large portion of their squad with younger players such as Leroy Sane, Phil Foden, and Brahim Diaz being given the chance to show more of their talent.

It's always tough to call games like this when the starting line-ups are unpredictable. Ideally, I'd wait until as close to kick-off as possible before putting a bet on but for the purpose of these previews I have to make the calls now. I have a feeling City will win but both teams will leave out influential players. It's a chance for fringe players knocking on the door to impress so it could still be action-packed. I'd back both teams to score and I think Gabriel Jesus could be keen to make an early point after a lacklustre World Cup where he was given little chance to impress.

BTTS @ 1.65 with SportingBet

Anytime Scorer: Gabriel Jesus @ 2.75 with Unibet

@Mindfulness, @Pep004, @MaliMisko12, @betcatalog, @sajtion, @godofhorses, @Tiffy, @waynecoyne, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @Duke_Tm, @dogmeister, @Arkadi Manucharov, @derbent, @fat, @allyhibs, @6avin24, @discipline, @the bastardian, @Bronxie, @Bett@KikoCy, @teddybear3011, @markus808, @allthethings, @Kenton Schweppes, @vasilli07, @Dylan Lynch, @neilovan, @JKos, @zemo91, @jamiedavies02, @kulikTS, @mrclubbie, @Judeksi, @Henind666, @Dave1X2, @Bayern and @AndreBR, what are you guys thinking ahead of this game?

11 hours ago, jazzman02 said:

Betfair are a standout 4/5 about over 2.5 goals, this looks a rock solid wager to me

Yeah, that's a good spot, @jazzman02. If you were forced, who would you be backing to win? I'm thinking it would be madness to bet against City but this is the sort of scenario where Chelsea would win and then have a dreadful season.

1 hour ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Yeah, that's a good spot, @jazzman02. If you were forced, who would you be backing to win? I'm thinking it would be madness to bet against City but this is the sort of scenario where Chelsea would win and then have a dreadful season.

It's difficult to predict a winner for this without team news; assuming both teams field their strongest available XI I'd be tempted to back Chelsea +0.25 but not with any degree of confidence. Yes they had a poor season last year results wise but on my 32-match ratings they rank a respectable 3rd (Man City 1st) and I'm sure Sarri will be keen to get off to a positive start by putting some silverware in the trophy cabinet. For a speculative punt, again team news dependant, if anybody prices up the man of the match market I'd take a punt on Callum Hudson-Odoi if he was 16/1 or bigger. The youngster has impressed pre-season and with speculation around Eden Hazard and Willians future his performance will surely be under the microscope.