** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

EFL Cup 1st Round Predictions > Aug 14th - 16th

efl1.jpg

efl2.jpg

The EFL Cup 1st Round draw will be on us before we know it. Here are the odds available. I'll update the dates when the matches are changed for television and what not. For the time being, feel free to post any thoughts on which sets of odds look appealing. As we all know, this round of the competition is where we can see a large number of upsets so it's often worth contemplating the underdog.

• 3 weeks later...

Cambridge vs Newport County

The EFL Cup 1st Round is always a minefield but to limit the damage risk I've gone for a game between two League Two sides when Cambridge United meet Newport County in a 7:45pm kick-off on Tuesday night at the Abbey Stadium. Very little to call between these clubs positioned 15th and 16th in the bottom division of the Football League.

It's been a mixed start to the season so far for both of these teams. Joe Dunne's side started the season with a poor 3-0 defeat away to Port Vale. However, the U's bounced back at home with a 3-2 win over Notts County with Barry Corr grabbing the winner in injury time. Absolute scenes at the Abbey!

Mike Flynn is hoping to continue is fine work at County. The Exiles also started their league campaign with a 3-0 loss away to Mansfield Town. Their second game also produced a return to winning ways with a narrow 1-0 victory against Crewe Alexandra. Padraig Amond supplying the only goal of the game for the three points.

Due to both sides being in very similar positions and likely to adopt a near identical approach to this game I've had to back Cambridge at the odds being offered. Newport proved themselves as a cup side last season with that magnificent run in the FA Cup but in the EFL Cup here I think Cambridge will have enough to get the win but it'll be a close one.

Cambridge to Win @ 2.10 with BetVictor

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.91 with Betfred

@Mindfulness, @Pep004, @MaliMisko12, @betcatalog, @sajtion, @godofhorses, @Tiffy, @waynecoyne, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @Duke_Tm, @dogmeister, @Arkadi Manucharov, @derbent, @fat, @allyhibs, @6avin24, @discipline, @the bastardian, @Bronxie, @Bett@KikoCy, @teddybear3011, @markus808, @allthethings, @Kenton Schweppes, @vasilli07, @Dylan Lynch, @neilovan, @JKos, @zemo91, @jamiedavies02, @kulikTS, @mrclubbie, @Judeksi, @Henind666, @Dave1X2, and @AndreBR, will any of you guys be betting on this first round of EFL Cup action?

• StevieDay1983 changed the title to EFL Cup 1st Round Predictions > Aug 14th - 16th

Swindon Town v Forest Green

Swindon Town: Marc Richards (0/0 f), Kaiyne Woolery (0/0 f), Chris Robertson (0/0 d)

Forest Green: no absences

Southend Utd v Brentford FC

Southend Utd: Luke Hyam (1/0 m), Sam Barratt (1/0 f)(both probably out), Harry Lennon (1/0 d), Dru Yearwood (0/0 m), Rob Kiernan (0/0 d)

Brentford FC: Ryan Woods (0/0 m, doubtful)

Wycombe v Northampton 

Wycombe: Darius Charles (0/0 d), Scott Kashket (0/0 f), Nathan Tyson (0/0 f)(all doubtful)

Northampton: Junior Morias (0/0 f), Shay Facey (0/0 d)(both doubtful), Shaun McWilliams (1/0 d, probably out)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

11 hours ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

I'd avoid out right betting in these games, it's got to be over 2.5 goals. Which ones? Take your pick, probably the higher league teams over the lower league ones.

i'd forgotten about this -cheers

anybody know of managers who traditionally field weakened teams in this competition (like Warnock, McCarthy)

i'm wondering what steve bruce's attitude will be

9 minutes ago, waynecoyne said:

i'd forgotten about this -cheers

anybody know of managers who traditionally field weakened teams in this competition (like Warnock, McCarthy)

i'm wondering what steve bruce's attitude will be

I'd imagine most managers will be making significant changes, although Warnock's Cardiff won't be in it at this stage and Mick McCarthy doesn't have a job at the minute, so that rules them two out. I would imagine Bruce will make changes though to his Villa side.

36 minutes ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

I'd imagine most managers will be making significant changes, although Warnock's Cardiff won't be in it at this stage and Mick McCarthy doesn't have a job at the minute, so that rules them two out. I would imagine Bruce will make changes though to his Villa side.

i was just using them as examples Kenton.

What i'm looking for is overachieving underdogs-i'm considering peterboro and luton

i have picked wigan and peterborough.

Peterborough are in good scoring form (won 4-1 away to rochdale at weekend) and qpr out of form. Steve evans is also the sort of character who will love beating a higher rated opponent.

Paul Warne has said he is not setting out not to win but will make changes. Wigan had a good run last year and have a top manager imo.

Bets: sell time of second peterborough goal @ 78 (sporting index/spreadex)

sell time of second wigan goal @ 77 (same firms)

double wigan and peterborough at 2/1 and 13/5 (bet 365) 

Sunderland vs Sheffield Wednesday

It's a strangely scheduled game coming up this Thursday night in a 7:45pm kick-off at the Stadium of Light between League One side Sunderland and Championship club Sheffield Wednesday. Presumably, this is a Thursday game for television purposes because it seems strange that this isn't being played on Wednesday night.

Anyway, it's been a tricky EFL Cup 1st Round so far. A lot of shocks and a lot of unexpected results coming in. This one is a potential banana skin as well. Jack Ross and his side have started their league campaign positively with a win and a draw from their first two games.

Things have not been quite so rosy for Jos Luhukay and his Owls team who have started the season with one draw and one defeat in their first two league games. The fans have also expressed discontent at the lack of financial investment in the side over the summer with no new signings coming in and a number of players such as Glenn Loovens, Jordan Rhodes, Ross Wallace, Jack Hunt, and Jake Kean leaving the club.

To sum it up, this game is primed for the lower placed league side to cause an upset. Ross will want to keep his side's momentum so could well pick a strong side. It could be argued that under the right manager, even the fringe Sunderland players could give the Sheffield Wednesday side a run for their money. I would back a home win and over 2.5 goals scored.

Sunderland To Win @ 2.53 with MarathonBet

Over 2.5 Goals Scored @ 1.91 with Coral

I agree Stevie we are a shambles. The owner has peed off the fans with any number of own goals.

He says we will be in big trouble if we don't get promoted. This illustrates the delusion of the man.

We have more chance of going down. We have breached ffp rules and are probably around 10m over so the only solution is to sell our best players but everyone will know we are desperate and offer low fees.

21 hours ago, waynecoyne said:

I agree Stevie we are a shambles. The owner has peed off the fans with any number of own goals.

He says we will be in big trouble if we don't get promoted. This illustrates the delusion of the man.

We have more chance of going down. We have breached ffp rules and are probably around 10m over so the only solution is to sell our best players but everyone will know we are desperate and offer low fees.

How come the club let Rhodes go out on loan rather than opt for a sale? I'm sure someone would have come in with a decent offer before the transfer deadline day? How come he's not really hit it off? Used to be a dead cert for goals.

I don't think we played to his strengths, but he does seem to have dropped off-he didn't play much whilst at boro, and his game is pretty one dimensional-if hes not scoring he doesn't offer much else.

I think at boro and Wednesday the owner bought him and neither karanka nor carvahal wanted him which doesn't help.

Edited by waynecoyne

On 8/16/2018 at 9:10 PM, waynecoyne said:

matt penney on at left back

its his debut he has a sweet left foot and a penchant for long range goals

I will buy his goal minutes at 2

probably restricted to free kicks

Good win for you lads there. Sunderland will be kicking themselves for not even scoring after 13 shots on goal. Heard the transfer embargo has been lifted with immediate effect as well! Get the chequebook out Jos!

1 hour ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Good win for you lads there. Sunderland will be kicking themselves for not even scoring after 13 shots on goal. Heard the transfer embargo has been lifted with immediate effect as well! Get the chequebook out Jos!

The club has officially announced that the embargo has been lifted-without ever officially admitting (until pressed) that we were under embargo. They knew about this in April but said nothing so as not to affect season ticket sales. They even issued a bizarre survey asking fans if they preferred high prices and continued investment or low prices and the promotion of youth players. Hereby justifying the high prices knowing full well that they couldn't invest in players. I suppose you had the same sort of set up with your owner initially (strange decisions based on ego and lack of empathy). 

Edited by waynecoyne