** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

EXTRA PLACE RACES

Does anybody use any methods that take advantage of bookmakers who offer extra places on certain races?

I have made some money on these over the last year or so.

The basic logic is to take those races with a relatively small number of runners that offer 4 or more places. It works better where the favourite is a relatively short price and where the over-round is not too high.

It has to be the best price offered on odds-checker. Odds 3/1 to 15/2.

Today's selections are :-

UTTOXETER 2.50 CHASE ME 9/2 (LADBROKES). 12 runners, OR 108%, favourite at evens.

WOLVERHAMPTON 8.35 REFRAIN 6/1 (CORAL). 12 runners, OR 108%, favourite at 9/4.

1 winner, 1 2nd and a loser yesterday.

Results to date.

1 win, 6 places, 4 losers. £0.15 LSP (1% ROI).

4 today.

GOODWOOD

2.25 PRECIOUS RAMOTSWE 6/1 4 places.

4.10 BARRISTAN THE BOLD 4/1 5 places.

5.20 COWBOY THE SOLDIER 7/2 4 places.

GALWAY 2.50 TONY THE GENT 7/2 4 places.

On 03/08/2018 at 12:27 PM, corky said:

Would you consider doing place bets only.

This, if the bookie has not given awful place odds because they have given extra places.

My betting records shows an awful strike rate, yes even worse than my overall strike rate, in races where bookies are giving an extra 1, 2, 3 places.  Now I paper bet these races and I am now starting to believe that these races are more unpredictable to gauge if the favourite, or close to favourite, is not chosen. 

The bookies win the money.  Hopefully we getting a buzz in return.

I think that is a misconception with each way betting. I am not looking at making a profit on each bet but an overall profit over a series of bets. So if for example in a sequence of 5 bets at 7/2 I have 1 winner, 3 places and a loser I will still make a profit of 13%. I am really looking at the horse winning, the place part of the selection is really a saver bet, at 7/2 if it places I only lose 15% of my stake rather than 100%.

In my bets so far I am down because I have only had 1 winner out of 19 bets when at the odds I would have expected 3 or 4 winners.

On 05/08/2018 at 12:10 PM, BillyHills said:

You can bet place only at quite a few bookies but not many would allow the extra place.:ok

Paddy generally lets you choose the number of places for Place Only (especially extra places in the big field Saturday Heritage Handicaps). Of course the odds decline with increasing number of places.

[My late father, ex bookie used to say it amazed him how in an apparantly impossible handicap that come SP time, the punters had figured it out and the fav won.]

I have concluded that my E/W and PO betting is less successful than my win bets.

It always feels like you've backed a loser, if you bet PO and it wins.

As a result, I now tend to keep PO bets for when I want to back more than one horse in a race.

Suggest you quote the bookie, PO odds and number of places in PO selections.

In the hunt for value, I try to avoid accepting worse than ~ 1/5 the win odds on PO3, or worse than 1/6 the win odds on PO4, 1/7 the win odds on PO5.

Occasionally you find an anomaly where E/W terms are 1/5 E/W3, yet PO3 is higher than 1/5 win. In those cases if you want to bet E/W, then do separate win and place bets.

Last one managed 4th place at 5/1 so turned a loss in to break even.

3 today, all 4 places.

CATT 7.10 ROBBEN RAINBOW @ 7/2.

CATT 8.15 CROSSE FIRE @ 100/30.

DUND 7.15 THE KID BOBBY B @ 6/1.

No selections for a couple of weeks as I am off on a Baltic cruise.