** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Tips - July 16 - July 22

• 3 weeks later...

Radu Albot to beat Pedro Sousa at 2.07 with Pinnacle

Albot is being underestimated once again imo. He didn't do much damage against Isner, but I still liked his Wimbledon run and he's universal enough to go back to clay and beat someone like Sousa. The man from Portugal has lost to many much weaker players recently, so having him as the favourite here looks a bit wrong to me.

Vasek Pospisil to beat Donald Young at 1.68 with Pinnacle

Young has always been prone to losing streaks and he's in such a bad form at the moment that I'm actually willing to trust Pospisil for once. He's not a great singles player right now, but he's still a level above Young imo, both game-wise and mental-wise.

Sergiy Stakhovsky to beat Jason Jung at 1.53 with Marathonbet

Stakhovsky did surprisingly well during the European grass court swing and he should be able to convert that into at least one win in Newport. Jung has jumped back to hard courts in the meantime and I'm not sure that he has what it takes to beat someone this strong on a surface that he hasn't done anything great on so far.

Laslo Djere to beat Pablo Cuevas at 2.50 with bet365

Pablo is in freefall, the uruguayan is going down and has been all season long. Saw him play this week against Jozef Kovalik in the Braunschweig quarterfinals and he was plain awful. Really the worst I've seen from him in a long time. Laslo won a challenger title on clay the week before Wimbledon and should be able to handle this. It's as close as he can get to home playing in Umag so he should be full of motivation to do good in Umag and he has the quality to win this match.

Benoit Paire to beat Marton Fucsovics at 1.83 with bet365

Benoit was 2.20 to beat Marton in Pune earlier this season and I had a bet on him then and will have another bet on him now. I still say Benoit is better than Marton which explains why he has a 2-0 record in this matchup. Benoit should reach the Umag quarters at least where he probably will face Damir Dzumhur.

Alex de Minaur to beat Ivo Karlovic at 1.72 with bet365

This youngster can do big things in the future and knocking out dr. Ivo should be no problems. Ivo at 39 years old finally has started to slow down while Alex at 19 years old only has begun to pick up speed.

David Ferrer (-3.5) to beat Zdenek Kolar at 1.72 with Bet365

I understand that Ferrer has been very poor in recent months, but we are talking about Zdenek Kolar here and I honestly think that he doesn't have the mental resilience to compete with Ferrer if the Spaniard is at least somewhat average. It also seems that this will be the Czech's debut on the ATP tour, so there's also that pressure to deal with. Ferrer enjoyed this tournament in the past - and this is arguably the softest R1 draw he could've wished for.

Gerald Melzer to beat Corentin Moutet at 1.96 with Pinnacle

I am simply going against Moutet here due to a lot of matches played in last few days. This will be his eight match in eight days. He played in Finals of Bastad Challenger on Saturday and he had to play in qualifications on Sunday and Monday. Last 6 matches all took around 2 hours. Even tough I rate Moutet as bigger talent, I think Melzer has better chances here.

Sramkova R. - Martic P.

this looks to me like a good opportunity for Sramkova to advance her career against a clearly out of form Martic who seems to prefer hard courts as opposed to Sramkova who's won two lower level tournaments and been runner up in two others on clay so far this year.

Sramkova to win 2-0 @ 4.60 with WilliamHill

with a saver on Sramkova to win @ 2.90 with Betfair

good luck all :ok

Edited by yogg

Mihaela Buzarnescu (-4.5) to beat Tamara Zidansek at 2.00 with Paddy Power

2-2 so far this week (unless Ferrer does something mental) and I'll be hoping for Buzarnescu to take me to the black numbers. She's already crushed Zidansek twice, is playing in the form of her life, and has the home conditions on her side as well. At 2.00, I'm more than happy to chance this, as Zidansek isn't playing against WTA-level opponents regularly.

Laslo Djere to beat Maximilian Marterer at 2.10 with Bet365

Marterer is unstable player, and clay is not he's favourite surface. He lost very easily on clay in previous 2-3 months to Maden, Martin and Carballes Baena, similar level players like Djere. In first round, Djere was very solid and eliminated Cuevas, while German had problems with Serdarusic, local mediocre player. I think it will be a close match, and Djere could win it.

Irina Maria Bara to beat Polona Hercog at 2.55 with betfair

Bara is a typical clay courter, has home crowd support on her side, and a few nice wins in qualies and round 1 (Zavatska, Cadantu, Tomova). Hercog is not an easy opponent, but can be prone to unforced errors, she had some trouble with Ruse in round 1. They played one match so far, last year also on clay, and Bara won in two sets. I think it's worth a try.

Good luck to everyone :)

1 pick for ATP Challenger San Benedetto

QUINZI-4 games over GUTIERREZ-FERROL @ 1.6 pinnacle
Gap in class between the two players. Quinzi is in very good form lately - finals in Challenger event last week and 6:0, 6:0 win in a first round of San Benedetto. Quinzi was a no. 1 junior in the world and has a lot of potential, if stays healthy.

I know the week after a slam can really be difficult with so many decoy players.  it really has to surprise me why Vogele left her house this monrning considering she had to play last match at home in a prime slot. Well, I forgot she could have bet against herself to make it look authentic. That is why i guess she is so below average!

On 17/07/2018 at 6:29 PM, CzechPunter said:

Mihaela Buzarnescu (-4.5) to beat Tamara Zidansek at 2.00 with Paddy Power

2-2 so far this week (unless Ferrer does something mental) and I'll be hoping for Buzarnescu to take me to the black numbers. She's already crushed Zidansek twice, is playing in the form of her life, and has the home conditions on her side as well. At 2.00, I'm more than happy to chance this, as Zidansek isn't playing against WTA-level opponents regularly.

are you now a member of the Buzarnescu fan club CP? 

9 hours ago, Urosito said:

Laslo Djere to beat Maximilian Marterer at 2.10 with Bet365

Marterer is unstable player, and clay is not he's favourite surface. He lost very easily on clay in previous 2-3 months to Maden, Martin and Carballes Baena, similar level players like Djere. In first round, Djere was very solid and eliminated Cuevas, while German had problems with Serdarusic, local mediocre player. I think it will be a close match, and Djere could win it.

Irina Maria Bara to beat Polona Hercog at 2.55 with betfair

Bara is a typical clay courter, has home crowd support on her side, and a few nice wins in qualies and round 1 (Zavatska, Cadantu, Tomova). Hercog is not an easy opponent, but can be prone to unforced errors, she had some trouble with Ruse in round 1. They played one match so far, last year also on clay, and Bara won in two sets. I think it's worth a try.

Good luck to everyone :)

Routine win for Djere, but also for Hercog, Bara was bad. Hope tomorrow will be more luck :)

Andrey Rublev to beat Felix Auger Aliassime at 2.00 with William Hill

Rublev is defending champion in Umag, likes clay, conditions suit him, and he'll be motivated to repeat good result here. Fitness level is questionable, though, he hasn't played since Monte Carlo, but I think he's just too solid for Felix at this moment. Although Felix is a great talent, he's too inconsistent, lost to players like Londero, De Bakker and Griespoor in past month, so Rublev should have the advantage here.

Vera Zvonareva to beat Ons Jabeur at 2.23 with Unibet

Ons is a strange player, she can play really great tennis at times, but also can look like a recreational player if she's not in the right mood. Vera is in a good rhythm, played very good in London, and demolished Alexandrova in first round here 6-2 6-1. That same Alexandrova routinely won against Jabeur in Budapest a few days ago, so... Maybe not the wisest logic, but I think it's worth a try.

Jason Jung to beat Tim Smyczek at 1.91 with William Hill

Jung is playing some really good tennis this year. He's already beaten Stakhovsky and Mahut here, two very solid grass-courters. I never trusted Smyczek, moody and mediocre player, so I'll go for Jung here. Year ago, at Ilkey challenger on grass, Jung won in two sets 6-2 6-4. Let's repeat that result, Jason.

Good luck, my friends. :)

Edited by Urosito

4 hours ago, Urosito said:

Vera Zvonareva to beat Ons Jabeur at 2.23 with Unibet

Ons is a strange player, she can play really great tennis at times, but also can look like a recreational player if she's not in the right mood. Vera is in a good rhythm, played very good in London, and demolished Alexandrova in first round here 6-2 6-1. That same Alexandrova routinely won against Jabeur in Budapest a few days ago, so... Maybe not the wisest logic, but I think it's worth a try.

The logic is fine. It's called collateral form - something I look at from time to time as I think it can be informative.

5 hours ago, Urosito said:

I have nothing against your pick but more about your reasoning that led to the conclusion. Her demolision of Alexandrova should have been stated as a opinion and not a fact. I really believe Alexandrova did not bother to compete after being tired from the Budapest ITF final. I think Zvonareva can win, but it is a very dodgy pick that is now becoming too popular for comfort. That game will come but not without some drama. I am thinking retirement at some stage. Dont know why!