** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Tips - June 18 - June 24

Filip Horansky to beat Daniel Munoz-De La Nava at 1.99 with Pinnacle

Kevin King to beat Norbert Gombos at 1.90 with Bet365

I don't really fancy any bets from the main ATP tournaments right now, so going for two Challenger picks instead. Filip Horansky has been improving recently and he has enough talent to make it to the main tour at some point, it's just that he's struggling with the mental side of things here and there. He's definitely better skill-wise than Munoz and he's still going up, which - coupled with the home conditions factor - leads me to believe that there's some value in backing him here. Meanwhile, I don't exactly fancy Gombos on grass, King's game seems to be better suited for that surface and he's already played a couple of matches on it as well, so I'd have him as a slightly bigger fav than the bookies.

Petra Kvitova to beat Johanna Konta at 1.66 with Marathonbet

Konta did really well in Nottingham, but Kvitova is likely to be too big of a challenge given how strong she tends to be mentally on surfaces that she likes. Tiredness might play a certain factor on Konta's side and there's also the detail of her not having any real form before Nottingham, so I'm not sure that the fact that she did well in one event should overturn everything so suddenly. I'd have Kvitova at 1.40.

Kontaveit A. - Maria T. correct score 2-0

Boulter K. - Osaka N.  correct score 0-2

a straightforward double from me where the favourites should have far too much for their opponents.

Double @ 2.59 with Unibet

good luck all.

:ok

Osaka does the business but what happened to Kontaveit? breezed the first set, 4-2 up in the second and lost the match!!!

Edited by yogg

On 6/17/2018 at 1:38 PM, CzechPunter said:

I don't really fancy any bets from the main ATP tournaments right now, so going for two Challenger picks instead. Filip Horansky has been improving recently and he has enough talent to make it to the main tour at some point, it's just that he's struggling with the mental side of things here and there. He's definitely better skill-wise than Munoz and he's still going up, which - coupled with the home conditions factor - leads me to believe that there's some value in backing him here. Meanwhile, I don't exactly fancy Gombos on grass, King's game seems to be better suited for that surface and he's already played a couple of matches on it as well, so I'd have him as a slightly bigger fav than the bookies.

Konta did really well in Nottingham, but Kvitova is likely to be too big of a challenge given how strong she tends to be mentally on surfaces that she likes. Tiredness might play a certain factor on Konta's side and there's also the detail of her not having any real form before Nottingham, so I'm not sure that the fact that she did well in one event should overturn everything so suddenly. I'd have Kvitova at 1.40.

You seem to be expecting too much from Kvitova considering that this would be her first game on grass to a home player that she has already lost to the only time they played on this surface. Moreover Konta would seem to be in some sort of a groove that can only be described as form regardless of how much you want to convince yourself that it is not. Form always starts somewhere and i really think Kvitova will have her hands full. I think considering Kvitova too big of a challenge even without grass play this year is a bit myopic in my opinion. This game is 50/50 from here with a good chance of Kvitova crumbling.

Babos T. - Buzarnescu M.

Babos starts her grass season today. Last season she didn't win a single match on grass. She ended this clay season with the figures won 2 lost 5. This season against top 50 players she's won 1 lost 8 yet today she's the favourite!

In contrast Buzarnescu is having a great season and has had three matches on grass recently, winning two.

Buzarnescu to win @ 2.20 with WilliamHill

damn, just noticed Babos won a doubles match yesterday in Birmingham (against Barty/Vandeweghe no less) so I've lost a little confidence in my tip which I've already backed.

:cheers

Edited by yogg

10 hours ago, liquidglass said:

You seem to be expecting too much from Kvitova considering that this would be her first game on grass to a home player that she has already lost to the only time they played on this surface. Moreover Konta would seem to be in some sort of a groove that can only be described as form regardless of how much you want to convince yourself that it is not. Form always starts somewhere and i really think Kvitova will have her hands full. I think considering Kvitova too big of a challenge even without grass play this year is a bit myopic in my opinion. This game is 50/50 from here with a good chance of Kvitova crumbling.

Good chance for a 3 setter in my opinion. Kvitova tends to play decisive sets no matter who´s on the other side of the net. 

1 hour ago, yogg said:

Babos T. - Buzarnescu M.

Babos starts her grass season today. Last season she didn't win a single match on grass. She ended this clay season with the figures won 2 lost 5. This season against top 50 players she's won 1 lost 8 yet today she's the favourite!

In contrast Buzarnescu is having a great season and has had three matches on grass (winning two) recently.

Buzarnescu to win @ 2.20 with WilliamHill

damn, just noticed Babos won a doubles match yesterday in Birmingham (against Barty/Vandeweghe no less) so I've lost a little confidence in my tip which I've already bet.

I was looking at this yesterday but still did not back it. I think I will however. Mihaela should be at least even odds in my opinion. 

Aldin Setkic (+3.5) to beat Duck Hee Lee at 1.78 with Pinnacle

This looks like a fairly big line to me, as Duck Hee Lee has been struggling big time so far in this season. Yes, he did well in the French Open qualifiers for some reason, but he returned to his poor performances right after that, being shaky even against Takahashi today. Setkic beat him in similar conditions last year and I fancy him to keep the scoreline tight here as well.

Kyle Edmund to beat Nick Kyrgios at 2.41 with Marathonbet

Preferably with a one-set bookie, Kyrgios couldn't be too bothered yesterday and the hip is definitely bothering him. If he plays like he did against Murray, Edmund is going to crush him - and I reckon that he has a fair chance even if Kyrgios improves.

Sara Sorribes Tormo to beat Lauren Davis at 1.70 with Unibet

SST was quite good last week, losing only against Jabeur in the finals in Manchester. Meanwhile, Davis hasn't played since April, so who knows where she's at.

• CzechPunter changed the title to Tennis Tips - June 18 - June 24

Thiem D. - Sugita Y.

Sugita is a dangerous opponent on grass having won the Surbiton Challenger & the ATP Antalya last year but Thiem's win against an in form Youzhny (who'd already played 6 matches on grass) was a great performance considering it was Thiem's first on the green stuff this season.

Class is class and I'm hoping he can cover the -4 handicap.

Thiem -4 games @ 2.16 with MarathonBet

good luck all :ok

On 17/06/2018 at 1:38 PM, CzechPunter said:

brilliant treble CP :notworthy

Edited by yogg

14 hours ago, yogg said:

Thiem D. - Sugita Y.

Sugita is a dangerous opponent on grass having won the Surbiton Challenger & the ATP Antalya last year but Thiem's win against an in form Youzhny (who'd already played 6 matches on grass) was a great performance considering it was Thiem's first on the green stuff this season.

Class is class and I'm hoping he can cover the -4 handicap.

Thiem -4 games @ 2.16 with MarathonBet

good luck all :ok

I knew Sugita was dangerous on grass but not that bloody dangerous rolleyes.gif

and Buzarnescu continues to defy the bookies!

well done to both of them.

Goerges J. - Barty A.

Barty's on a great run at the moment but this is her 8th match, including one doubles match, in ten days and that could prove too much against her strong German opponent today.

Barty's 1st round opponent, Dodin, gifted her 31 unforced errors and she won't get that today!

She also made 16 unforced errors of her own.

Goerges beat Sakkari easily in her 1st round match, not even facing a break point.

She's also the ace queen.

All things considered I think Goerges will have too much for Barty today.

Goerges to win @ 2.80 with BetVictor

Edited by yogg

Lottner Antonia vs Sevastova, Anastasija

I know Sevastova is previous year champion, and needs to defend points. On the other hand, Lottner is in crazy form, and to keep in mind - Sevastova isnt heavy hitter, big server etc. Her offense is very limited, thats why i back up Lottner.

Lottner to W  @2.98 with marathonbet

3 hours ago, yogg said:

Goerges J. - Barty A.

Barty's on a great run at the moment but this is her 8th match, including one doubles match, in ten days and that could prove too much against her strong German opponent today.

Barty's 1st round opponent, Dodin, gifted her 31 unforced errors and she won't get that today!

She also made 16 unforced errors of her own.

Goerges beat Sakkari easily in her 1st round match, not even facing a break point.

She's also the ace queen.

All things considered I think Goerges will have too much for Barty today.

Goerges to win @ 2.80 with BetVictor

Beat me to it Yogg. I am backing Goerges based on Barty's win last week and how she got a bit fortunate against Dodin in that first set. There were signs of fatigue against Dodin and Goerges is a step up on Dodin, even if she can be a bit inconsistent. But if she gets it right especially on serve she can win

Tailing. Good luck :ok

Edited by KennyDelight

Nika Kukharchuk (+1.5 sets) to beat Cori Gauff at 2.66 with Marathonbet

Much has been said about Gauff on this forum already and I do now believe that she has a bright future ahead of herself, but she's not Djokovic just yet. So far in this event, she's played three three-setters against players worse than Kukharchuk, so I find these odds a bit too juicy.