** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

FA Trophy Final - Brackley v Bromley

We finally get to the final game of the Non-League season and having thought last weeks play-off final was going to be the last bet of the season I actually think there is a decent bet to be had in the Wembley final. Bromley had a really good season in the National League this term and were a shade unfortunate not to reach the play-offs as they missed out on 7th place by just 3 points. They probably just ran out of steam slightly in the final week of the season as they could only draw against Barrow and ended up losing to Maidenhead, although by then I am sure the players pretty much knew they weren't going to make the play-offs and were beginning to think about the FA Trophy Final. They had actually had a pretty good April having only lost one of their 7 matches up until the final day of the season. You could argue that the fact they haven't played a competitive game for 3 weeks is a negative and they might be a bit rusty, but I think the break will be a plus. Like I say they had a busy April and a chance to recharge the batteries ahead of the biggest game in the clubs history should work in their favour.

Brackley have also had a cracking season finishing 3rd to the two promoted sides in the National League North as well as of course making this final. They didn't exactly go into the play-offs in the best of form having won 4 and lost 4 in their last 8 games of the season. I can't help, but think they benefited from playing Bradford Park Avenue who were the weakest team going into the play-offs and they edged past them 1-0. The final was just too much for them though as Harrogate comfortably beat them 3-0. Now as mentioned above you could argue that the fact they have played a couple of competitive games in the last 2 weeks might mean they are more on it and maybe losing so heavily might make them want to make sure they don't end the season with nothing. I think it will have a negative effect though as they players are going to take some boosting even to play in a Wembley final after the loss to Harrogate. Also this has only been the focus for them since Monday whereas Bromley have been able to prepare solely on this game. Brackley manager Kevin Wilkin doesn't have a great experience of an FA Trophy Final either having managed Wrexham when they lost on penalties to North Ferriby in 2015. 

The final thing to note is the fact Bromley are a much better side than Brackley. If Brackley had won promotion they would have struggled next season in the National League and we are talking about a side who could easily have made the play-offs to the Football League. I just don't think the class difference has been factored into the price here and I would make Bromley a shade of odds on to win this. Last weeks final looked a game too far Brackley and this is likely to be two games to far. I actually think it could be a fairly comfortable afternoon for Bromley and I think they are solid bet at 27/20 with Marathon.

Bromley 2.5pts @ 27/20 with Marathon

• 1 month later...
On 2018-05-20 at 7:30 PM, Darran said:

A bit of a killer to end the season, but Brackley fully deserved the equaliser in all fairness.

Darran, is there any website that updates all the non-league transfers during the summer?

On 22/06/2018 at 11:47 AM, dawwe92 said:

Darran, is there any website that updates all the non-league transfers during the summer?

The National League website is pretty good for their 3 divisions and Non League Daily is good as well. It is pretty hard to keep an eye on it all though