** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Donald Trump - Kim Jong Un meeting

PlayerX

Hello everyone. Could I ask you for advice?

I placed a bet on "Where will Donald Trump meet Kim Jong-Un?" market, and possible selections were:

• South Korea
  • North Korea
  • China
  • United States
  • Switzerland
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Australia
  • Sweden
  • Ireland
  • United Kingdom
  • and Any Other Country

After careful consideration I placed a wager on the "Any Other Country".

But now Donald Trump said that Singapore and a so called Peace House in Demilitarized Zone that divides the Korean peninsula are under consideration as sites for his summit with Kim Jong Un. 

Inter-Korean Demilitarized Zone is classified as a "buffer zone" in the Korean War Armistice Agreement 1953.

Online Collins Dictionary definition for buffer zone is: "an area created to separate opposing forces or groups which belongs to neither of them."

and also South Korean website explained that "It is now beyond the jurisdiction of both the North and South".

So can I legally ask bookie to void my bet and get my money back if summit will take place in Korean Demilitarized Zone?

There wasn't even that selection to choose from all wagers.

By the way it's Great forum with lot of useful info.

Thank you all in advance for wise answers.

Untitled.png

Pretty sure it's PP. I'd guess they'd have to either pay it as a winner (classed as any other country) or void it (not offered as an option). Or, I suppose, they could pay out on both NK and SK using dead heat rules! :)

What happens if they don't meet? Bets void I assume.

You can either wait and see what happens and, if applicable, how they settle it or just email them now and ask how they would settle the bet if the DMZ was the location.

Thank you for all answers.

1 hour ago, harry_rag said:

Or, I suppose, they could pay out on both NK and SK using dead heat rules! :)

The thing is that the Korean Demilitarized Zone is not really (in respect of international law) under command of South Korean army and South Korean government, because the Korean War Armistice Agreement 1953 which established the Demilitarized Zone was agreed under agreement between the United Nations Command represented by US Army General, on the one hand, and the North Korean People's Army General and the Commander of the Chinese People's volunteers.

Basically Korean Demilitarized Zone is under control of United Nations Command, North Korea and China, so presumably dead heat rule is questionable in this case?

If we look closer for the South Koreans who serve in the Demilitarized Zone, we can even see that they wear United Nations badges, but not a South Korean army emblems:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/InsideTheJointSecurityArea1.jpg