** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

French Open 2018

I can´t believe she did this. It is not fair to the other players on circuit and it is a shame that such a champion does not have the proper respect for the game. You cannot say you are not able to serve when you played single/doubles every day at the french open. Personally, I believe she lied and she know she´s not ready to compete against Maria at this level. I hope to see her back so she can get a taste of the cirucit´s strength at the moment. 

Edited by mihaiv93
Typo

Fognini with some injury by the looks of things. In any case, I'm hoping for Halep on the WTA side once again due to my pre-season bet on her to win a Grand Slam. She was SO close in the Australian Open and last year here, it certainly could happen.

@CzechPunter  Interesting pick with Halep. What price have you received ?

I cannot see her loosing another final so I believe her "finals" will be Kerber and Sharapova/Muguruza. I see her playing Stephens or Kasatkina in the final and I can´t imagine she will let it slip after last year´s shock. 

The bet is in the off-season thread.

On 24. 12. 2017 at 1:45 PM, CzechPunter said:

Simona Halep to win a Grand Slam in 2018 at 4.50 with Paddy Power

Probably the most outrageous outright I'm going to take, but I have a feeling that she could finally break the streak of bad GS luck. She didn't self-destruct after becoming the world's number one, she's just played two good exhibition matches against very strong players in Thailand, and she's competitive on all surfaces. It'd be a shame to see her end as Radwanska/Wozniacki.

Nice how it worked out to have Halep and Woz in the AO final, just a couple of weeks after your bet. Tremendous match there. Halep should have won it ny spending less time on court until the final. The dane was really lucky with her side of the draw. Same situation here, but she failed to Kasatkina who played amazing. All the best for your bet mate. 

1 hour ago, mihaiv93 said:

I can´t believe she did this. It is not fair to the other players on circuit and it is a shame that such a champion does not have the proper respect for the game. You cannot say you are not able to serve when you played single/doubles every day at the french open. Personally, I believe she lied and she know she´s not ready to compete against Maria at this level. I hope to see her back so she can get a taste of the cirucit´s strength at the moment. 

I am finding it difficult to digest the point you are trying to make. How have you arrived at the conclusion that Serena does not have the respect for the game? Did you watch the Serena/Venus doubles match and see how Serena could not even serve at all? Or was that part of the plan to fool the public? a grand slam is not a normal event that people default from everyday, and I would want to believe that she had more to gain from chasing the slam than from defaulting from a player that she currently had a record of 19-2 against. Serena has nothing to fear from Maria whose game will never match up to hers, certainly not in the dying embers of her career. Finally there is nothing spectacular about the current strength of the circuit as already proven by Serena in the first couple of rounds. unless Halep Wozniaci and a waning muguruza possibly embody this current strength being referred to. Let us call a spade a spade. Sharapova now or in the past has never, and will never be regarded as the kind of danger that will cause the Most successful tennis player that has ever existed to default a Grand Slam. It should be more a case of people having respect for the game and giving credit where credit is due.

19 minutes ago, liquidglass said:

I am finding it difficult to digest the point you are trying to make. How have you arrived at the conclusion that Serena does not have the respect for the game? Did you watch the Serena/Venus doubles match and see how Serena could not even serve at all? Or was that part of the plan to fool the public? a grand slam is not a normal event that people default from everyday, and I would want to believe that she had more to gain from chasing the slam than from defaulting from a player that she currently had a record of 19-2 against. Serena has nothing to fear from Maria whose game will never match up to hers, certainly not in the dying embers of her career. Finally there is nothing spectacular about the current strength of the circuit as already proven by Serena in the first couple of rounds. unless Halep Wozniaci and a waning muguruza possibly embody this current strength being referred to. Let us call a spade a spade. Sharapova now or in the past has never, and will never be regarded as the kind of danger that will cause the Most successful tennis player that has ever existed to default a Grand Slam. It should be more a case of people having respect for the game and giving credit where credit is due.

I think that me saying she does not have respect for the game seemed a bit too rough for you. I believe she is the greatest champion of all time n this sport and it is why I am so surprised that retired just one hour before the game and the way she did it was certainly a very odd one for a slam. A champion like her should respect this game by performing when you have to perform and making sure you are able to perform at your highest level. I am saying that on this occasion she did not respect the game. She entered the tournament not physically fit, she also played doubles which is a choice I don´t really understand giving her situatuion but I do admire her determination. However, to put the blame of an injury caused by the doubles match is a bit ridiculous. She has way too much experience to know how to manage Grand Slam tournaments in terms of injuries and effort. Remember when she was sick before the RG final so she was prescribed medication that was not normall approved in the circuit and she played and won it. All credit to her, but I remember Sharapova not being 100% and always starting the matches against big rivals if she entered a tournament. See Halep´s run at the AO with an injury since the eearly stages.

Quoting the american champion "I will not lose again to that b***h". 

When you feel you are not 100%, 90%, 80%, 70, 60 or whatever, you do not compete. You just can´t be 60% fit and only play the early rounds so you can win some games and then retire once the big games come along. For me it´s a strategic / tactical retirement. 

Edited by mihaiv93

Tsurenko retired after just two games against Muguruza because of a muscular problem. The second void for today. Back tomorrow with more action. 

Sharapova and Garbiñe move on to the next round without breaking a sweat. 

Edited by mihaiv93
Additional info.

2 hours ago, mihaiv93 said:

I think that me saying she does not have respect for the game seemed a bit too rough for you. I believe she is the greatest champion of all time n this sport and it is why I am so surprised that retired just one hour before the game and the way she did it was certainly a very odd one for a slam. A champion like her should respect this game by performing when you have to perform and making sure you are able to perform at your highest level. I am saying that on this occasion she did not respect the game. She entered the tournament not physically fit, she also played doubles which is a choice I don´t really understand giving her situatuion but I do admire her determination. However, to put the blame of an injury caused by the doubles match is a bit ridiculous. She has way too much experience to know how to manage Grand Slam tournaments in terms of injuries and effort. Remember when she was sick before the RG final so she was prescribed medication that was not normall approved in the circuit and she played and won it. All credit to her, but I remember Sharapova not being 100% and always starting the matches against big rivals if she entered a tournament. See Halep´s run at the AO with an injury since the eearly stages.

Quoting the american champion "I will not lose again to that b***h". 

When you feel you are not 100%, 90%, 80%, 70, 60 or whatever, you do not compete. You just can´t be 60% fit and only play the early rounds so you can win some games and then retire once the big games come along. For me it´s a strategic / tactical retirement. 

I respect your point of view for all you have said. Firstly I do not see anything wrong in retiring one hour before a slam . Infact it would tend to suggest that she probably had spent time weighing up her options before finally realising that she had no other option. Your point would be more tenable if she claims to get injured during the match and retires. The right and humble thing then will be to complete the match injured as would be expected of a player of her calibre. It would be utterly prepostrous and silly for her to play a match when she knows that she is truly injured and handicapped all in the name of political correctness.

We all saw her serve limply in the third set of that doubles match where they lost that set 6-0, a scoreline unprecedented. If all that was an act to avoid an opponent who has always been your whipping boy, then I think too much credit is given to the person of Sharapova. It is certainly not worth managing an injury to give the chance of such a monumental victory to a bitter rival such as Sharapova.

The statement of performing when you have to perform and making sure you are able to perform at your highest level can only be considered loose talk with the aim of butressing your point when we consider that that itself is dependent on so many other factors. You might similarly want to argue that in the Champions League Salah's case was different. However according to your statement he should have made sure he was able to perform at the highest level regardless of injury.

Serena entered the tournament not physically fit which is why she played doubles - to gain some more fitness and practice time. Any arguments to the contrary can only be deemed negligible. In the end we can call it whatever we like based on opinion. A tactical retirement as you have called it does not bring the game into disrepute unless the requirement of a slam is different.

When you are on a mission of chasing breaking and setting records like she is, you do everything possible to compete unless it is absolutely beyond you. Afterall, she entered the tournament on the strength of her confidence and self-belief knowing that with fitness at 70% and above she could beat the rest of the field.

25 minutes ago, liquidglass said:

I respect your point of view for all you have said. Firstly I do not see anything wrong in retiring one hour before a slam . Infact it would tend to suggest that she probably had spent time weighing up her options before finally realising that she had no other option. Your point would be more tenable if she claims to get injured during the match and retires. The right and humble thing then will be to complete the match injured as would be expected of a player of her calibre. It would be utterly prepostrous and silly for her to play a match when she knows that she is truly injured and handicapped all in the name of political correctness.

We all saw her serve limply in the third set of that doubles match where they lost that set 6-0, a scoreline unprecedented. If all that was an act to avoid an opponent who has always been your whipping boy, then I think too much credit is given to the person of Sharapova. It is certainly not worth managing an injury to give the chance of such a monumental victory to a bitter rival such as Sharapova.

The statement of performing when you have to perform and making sure you are able to perform at your highest level can only be considered loose talk with the aim of butressing your point when we consider that that itself is dependent on so many other factors. You might similarly want to argue that in the Champions League Salah's case was different. However according to your statement he should have made sure he was able to perform at the highest level regardless of injury.

Serena entered the tournament not physically fit which is why she played doubles - to gain some more fitness and practice time. Any arguments to the contrary can only be deemed negligible. In the end we can call it whatever we like based on opinion. A tactical retirement as you have called it does not bring the game into disrepute unless the requirement of a slam is different.

When you are on a mission of chasing breaking and setting records like she is, you do everything possible to compete unless it is absolutely beyond you. Afterall, she entered the tournament on the strength of her confidence and self-belief knowing that with fitness at 70% and above she could beat the rest of the field.

Thanks for one of the most consistent replies. Your judgement is sound and it does make sense when you look at it from the angle you presented. It is obvious you have more in depth knowledge about Serena´s game and her way of performing.

I can only say that it´s a strange retirement at this stage and if the injury is the real motive here, I hope she gets better soon. The sport would benefit from her return at 100%. 

Edited by mihaiv93

6 hours ago, mihaiv93 said:

Thanks for one of the most consistent replies. Your judgement is sound and it does make sense when you look at it from the angle you presented. It is obvious you have more in depth knowledge about Serena´s game and her way of performing.

I can only say that it´s a strange retirement at this stage and if the injury is the real motive here, I hope she gets better soon. The sport would benefit from her return at 100%. 

Thanks. You are a perfect gentleman. Good luck!

Dominic Thiem vs Alexander Zverev

Over 38.5 games 4/5 paddy power

Well im looking forward to this match as we will see which player has the best chance of winning the French Open as these two are capable of winning a Grand slam. We have Thiem who has all the talent in the world. But in the big matches he struggles on the crucial points. And then you have his opponent who is also talented but never seems to win it the easy way. So i'm expect a four or five set match as both players will win a set  

Edited by owenclass

Sloane Stephens vs Daria Kasatkina 

Sloane Stephens to win: 2/1.

While Kasatkina's win over Wozniacki was impressive, I think the bookies are over-valuing her in this instance. This is her first QF Grand Slam appearance, which might result in a bit of nerves. Sloane Stephens has been impressive so far, especially her demolition of an in-form Kontaveit. She has also more experience of the "big stage" than Kasatkina.

Did anyone get to see Sloane's match against Anett? Was she playing remarkably well or did Anett just crumble? 

I saw the Kasatkina match, she broke very first game and then when on her game gave three BPs by 3 consecutive Dfs.Tthat was put down to her playing for the first time on that particular court. Through out the match anypowerful returner could have smashed the first & second serves being put up by Kasatkina. While the young russian has all the talent in the world, this will be uncharted territory for her. All remaining players will be highly motivated as this title is there for anyone to win.

Really feel value lies with Sloane.

6 hours ago, owenclass said:

Dominic Thiem vs Alexander Zverev

Over 38.5 games 4/5 paddy power

Well im looking forward to this match as we will see which player has the best chance of winning the French Open as these two are capable of winning a Grand slam. We have Thiem who has all the talent in the world. But in the big matches he struggles on the crucial points. And then you have his opponent who is also talented but never seems to win it the easy way. So i'm expect a four or five set match as both players will win a set  

I Hope Zverev has left sind power after man's 5-set-matches.

Thiem could and should advance to Thors time half final in a row. 

I think the best Bet will be more than 40 Points, because it has better odds than +3.5 sets which is a reasonable Bet.

7:5 (12), 6:3 (9), 5:7 (12), 6:1 (7) for Thiem makes 40 Points

3 hours ago, Sm0k3rZ said:

Did anyone get to see Sloane's match against Anett? Was she playing remarkably well or did Anett just crumble? 

I saw the Kasatkina match, she broke very first game and then when on her game gave three BPs by 3 consecutive Dfs.Tthat was put down to her playing for the first time on that particular court. Through out the match anypowerful returner could have smashed the first & second serves being put up by Kasatkina. While the young russian has all the talent in the world, this will be uncharted territory for her. All remaining players will be highly motivated as this title is there for anyone to win.

Really feel value lies with Sloane.

I saw the Sloane/Anett match and to be honest looked like any other regular match except for the hard to identify match up problem. I would say Anett crumbled double fast. She just was never comfortable out there and sulked throughout. Sloane always seemed to have this ability to change the dynamics of a rally in the twink of an eye by this laid back style of sweet timing and effortless hitting. And guess what? It is that same one ingridient that makes me love the Kasatkina game - full of variety and that colourful blend of shot-making. The real question is how will those short bouncing Kasatkina spins match up to the Stephens more penetrating replies? Anyones guess really. The head to head will suggest that they know themselves enough to produce a thriller. Stephens is a very inconsistent player as we all know but conversely a very big match player. Always a handful at this sort of stage. Kasatkina is also a rugged tough customer, gamically stubborn and mentally sound. This will be a real test for her. I am slightly on the Stephens train even as I witness a further price drop. Good luck!

Hello guys, 

A bit late for the Zverev match, but I´ll post my two picks for today.

D. Thiem - A. Zverev 

Pick : A. Zverev to win first set at odds 2.30 

Zverev meets Thiem in the match that will most likely give us Nadal´s opponent in the final. The german has played 3 matches of 5 sets and the main concercn for him is his physical shape. Thiem comes after winning Lyon ATP tournament, but the last H2H between these two ended up in the favour of the german in a dominant manner. Regarding the H2H, these two are quite used to play each other with Thiem holding the upper hand slightly. 
I believe Zverev will start this match more determined and will aim to win the first set, knowing that as longer this match gets, the worse his physical shape will get. I expect his level of focus in the first set to make the difference. Price a bit higher than what I feel it would have been right. 

D. Kasatkina - S. Stephens

D. Kasatkina to win at odds 2.00

I have backed Kasatkina against Wozniacki and she proved to be up to the task, even with the interruption of the game. I believe she will do the same today against S. Stephens. 

The american won their only meeting on cay in Charleston, but as relevant as this might look, the russian is progressing very fast at this young age so, I see her more mentally fit today to take on Stephens than she was in Charleston a couple of years back. The extra pressure of a Grand Slam will be the engine behind Daria as I have watched her over and over again, playing her best on the big stages. Earlier this year she destroyed Stephens on her home ground in Indian Wells but it is true Sloane was not playing good at that time, and she really improved in Miami and afterwards. However, she is clearly not a clay court player. As well, I think it is worth to mention her 2nd serve which has been very vulnerable in this tournament and I just do not see Kasatkina not taking advantage of that on a day like this. Kasatkina to win, full confidence for me. 

All the luck to everybody.

Diego Schwartzman Total Games - Over 9.00 at 1.90 with Marathonbet

Looks like a good line to me given what I saw yesterday and given how well Diego fought against Nadal in both Madrid and Melbourne. Marterer was able to stay in quite a few rallies with Nadal yesterday and Diego is a step up in that regard, so I reckon that he's going to give his rival a tough time in at least two sets. The fight was real against Anderson, but the serve will now be off the table and that should give him heart. And, most importantly, Diego does have a good enough backhand to absorb Nadal's forehand. I can't see Nadal losing unless it gets really rainy and the match gets affected by delays, but there's every chance that he's going to lose nine games or more.

1 hour ago, hzertin said:

well since mihaiv93 has so far got 2 out of his only 2 wrong and he is going for Sloane then I think I will go for kasatkina lol

Thats the old spirit of the game...always diverting the minds attention to an area of hopelessness in crunch times.

2 hours ago, hzertin said:

well since mihaiv93 has so far got 2 out of his only 2 wrong and he is going for Sloane then I think I will go for kasatkina lol

that was careless of you since mihaiv93 went for Kasatkina.