** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

French Open 2018

10 minutes ago, mihaiv93 said:

Going over both matches again I will be skipping Nadal - Del Potro and my only pick for tomorrow will be Cecchinatto +2.5 sets. I expect even odds. I´ll make my case tomorrow after getting a bit more insight from RG. 

sorry but that doesn't make sense. rolleyes.gif

I actually had a deeper look into Cecchinato as a player and there is an interesting story about him being involved with betting which I believe everyone knows. I´ve watched the final tie-break against Nole again and I was impressed by how well this guy kept his nerve. He won a tournament on the road to Roland Garros and to be honest, I believe the price for this guy to get through is too high given the circumstances and I think it would be a good bet backing him and then cashing out when the price drops to 3.50 or under if it does. However, this would have been better when the market first set the prices. I saw it started trading at odds 8.00.

All of this taken into account, my pick will be the following : 

D. Thiem - M. Cecchinato 

Over 3,5 sets at odds 2.10

The +2.5 sets handicap on the italian was trading at 1.91 and as I don´t see any chance of this going 3-0 for the underdog, I am going to play Over 3,5 sets at very appealing odds.

My main points on this are 

• Marco is playing the best tennis of his life knocking out two top 10 players, even if Nole is not really at his best. 
  • He showed some nerve by recovering break handicaps and when the points got more important, he performed.
  • The pressure is on Thiem as he is the big favourite here. Marco already overachieved for his status. 
  • As it happens very often with these players, they don´t get to live more than once an experience like this. Coming after the big scandal he went through I see Cecchinato realising this is an opportunity that comes once in a lifetime (Slim Shady :cigar)
  • H2H 1-1 The italian won once on clay in a much lower ranked tournament. However, it does set the bar for him in terms of having the mental advantage of winning against Thiem. The time Cecchinato lost, he still got a set out of Thiem.
  • The austrian tends to drop his level after getting ahead. He did it almost on every occasion in Lyon and he did it here in Paris. 

This is my bet for tomorrow and I will be backing Cecchinato tomorrow in-live betting if he drops the first set, aiming to cash out in the second or third. Basically I will wait for the odds to reach 12.00-13.00 and get a position then, after which I will try to cash it in if the odds get around 3.50 - 4.00. 

All the best guys. 

4 hours ago, mihaiv93 said:

I actually had a deeper look into Cecchinato as a player and there is an interesting story about him being involved with betting which I believe everyone knows. I´ve watched the final tie-break against Nole again and I was impressed by how well this guy kept his nerve. He won a tournament on the road to Roland Garros and to be honest, I believe the price for this guy to get through is too high given the circumstances and I think it would be a good bet backing him and then cashing out when the price drops to 3.50 or under if it does. However, this would have been better when the market first set the prices. I saw it started trading at odds 8.00.

All of this taken into account, my pick will be the following : 

D. Thiem - M. Cecchinato 

Over 3,5 sets at odds 2.10

The +2.5 sets handicap on the italian was trading at 1.91 and as I don´t see any chance of this going 3-0 for the underdog, I am going to play Over 3,5 sets at very appealing odds.

My main points on this are 

• Marco is playing the best tennis of his life knocking out two top 10 players, even if Nole is not really at his best. 
  • He showed some nerve by recovering break handicaps and when the points got more important, he performed.
  • The pressure is on Thiem as he is the big favourite here. Marco already overachieved for his status. 
  • As it happens very often with these players, they don´t get to live more than once an experience like this. Coming after the big scandal he went through I see Cecchinato realising this is an opportunity that comes once in a lifetime (Slim Shady :cigar)
  • H2H 1-1 The italian won once on clay in a much lower ranked tournament. However, it does set the bar for him in terms of having the mental advantage of winning against Thiem. The time Cecchinato lost, he still got a set out of Thiem.
  • The austrian tends to drop his level after getting ahead. He did it almost on every occasion in Lyon and he did it here in Paris. 

This is my bet for tomorrow and I will be backing Cecchinato tomorrow in-live betting if he drops the first set, aiming to cash out in the second or third. Basically I will wait for the odds to reach 12.00-13.00 and get a position then, after which I will try to cash it in if the odds get around 3.50 - 4.00. 

All the best guys. 

Do you think that Cecchinato to might be a bit tired mentally and emotionally after that epic match against Djokovic. And that match must have  taken a lot out of him as Thiem has had plenty of rest and is playing great tennis 

My selections are

Marco Cecchinato vs Dominic Thiem

Over 31.5 games 8/11 paddy power

I can't believe this bet exists as i was expecting that Thiem would have a tougher match. But it seems that the bookies think that it will be easier match for the favourite even though he has just beaten two top players in the previous rounds. I think that there will be at least one tie break in the match as the first set he will he just play his own game. But the next two won't be as close 

Rafael Nadal vs Juan Martin Del Potro

Over 33.5 games 4/5 paddy power

Why is going on with the bookies, they don't think this match will be close. But his opponent is playing well and is capable of winning a set 

On 2018-06-06 at 5:18 PM, yogg said:

just back from Surbiton after watching the Challenger series there.

saw Jurgen Melzer, Dan Evans and De Minaur all win.

Melzer's still got it, pure quality unlike Evans who was rubbish today.

some good ladies matches too.

a great day out, makes you appreciate how amazing the top players are.

Tanks to this post I think I'll go for Jurgen Melzer to beat Dan Evans at 2.50 with bet365

37 minutes ago, four-leaf said:

Tanks to this post I think I'll go for Jurgen Melzer to beat Dan Evans at 2.50 with bet365

I started a new topic yesterday on this match as this is the RG thread.

it's a risky bet as it's based on what I saw in just one match on each player in one day but the gulf in quality was very evident especially as Dan's opponent on Wednesday was even more rubbish than Dan!

:hope

55 minutes ago, four-leaf said:

It's good to see both Seb Korda and Cori Gauff in the RG junior semis, both playing today and I think both will reach the junior final.

Fernandez L. A. - Gauff C. (1.52 @ Marathon)

Tseng C. H. - Korda S. (1.81 @ Marathon)

Double @ 2.75 I'll have a piece of that four-leaf as I had a nice touch yesterday (5.10) on the Nadal correct score market (thanks again to CP).

starts in under an hour.

good luck all :ok

Edited by yogg

Sloane Stephens (+1.5 sets) to beat Simona Halep at 1.75 with Marathonbet

This is more about bet management than about trusting Stephens all that much, but, given how she's played so far in this event, she could certainly do some damage against Halep, especially if the latter is confronted by all her Grand Slam demons at some point of the match. That might certainly happen like it did in the last year's French Open and the Aussie Open finals obviously don't help in this regard either, so let's see. On top of that, I'm afraid that this is also the last serious chance for Halep to win a GS in this season, so this bet is also somewhat of a hedge against my pre-season bet on her. Of course, she could lose this match and then go on to win Wimbledon or the US Open, but that would be so mentally challenging that I just don't see it happening. 2-1 Halep please!

1 hour ago, CzechPunter said:

Sloane Stephens (+1.5 sets) to beat Simona Halep at 1.75 with Marathonbet

This is more about bet management than about trusting Stephens all that much, but, given how she's played so far in this event, she could certainly do some damage against Halep, especially if the latter is confronted by all her Grand Slam demons at some point of the match. That might certainly happen like it did in the last year's French Open and the Aussie Open finals obviously don't help in this regard either, so let's see. On top of that, I'm afraid that this is also the last serious chance for Halep to win a GS in this season, so this bet is also somewhat of a hedge against my pre-season bet on her. Of course, she could lose this match and then go on to win Wimbledon or the US Open, but that would be so mentally challenging that I just don't see it happening. 2-1 Halep please!

"Of course, she could lose this match and then go on to win Wimbledon or the US Open, but that would be so mentally challenging that I just don't see it happening" Did you really mean it or it was just loose talk that you hoped will go unnoticed?

Simona Halep vs Sloane Stephens 

Over 21.5 games 10/11 paddy power

Halep to win and Tie break in any set 4/1 paddy power

This is a match where Halep is favourite and deservedly so as she has probably played the best tennis throughout the tournament. But her opponent is a tricky customer who always make it difficult for them to play their own game and is a very smart player. Will we see Halep feel the pressure of trying to win a Grand slam as i can see her getting nervous at the crucial moments. So three sets is a possibility 

Mens Doubles Final

Pierre Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut vs Oliver Marach and Mate Pavic

Herbert and Mahut to win the match 4/5 paddy power

Over 21.5 games 4/5 paddy power

Well the French crowd will get behind Herbert and Mahut and I feel that they will do enough to win as they are very good doubles team and have more experience at this level 

Edited by owenclass

2 hours ago, hzertin said:

hope you had the guts to back up your great selections with cash.....would have cleaned up.....

whatever I post on here I back, in this case a low stake double @ 3.06

however, I lost more on the Dan Evans match than I made here.

21 hours ago, four-leaf said:

It's good to see both Seb Korda and Cori Gauff in the RG junior semis, both playing today and I think both will reach the junior final.

close four-leaf but not to be.

definitely two to watch though, cheers for that :ok

D.Thiem/R.Nadal - Over 3.5 sets at 1.86 with Unibet

I wasn't originally planning to have any bets on the finals, but, with Halep delivering the best possible result today and with Unibet offering very decent odds, I'm going to go for this one. Thiem appears to be the only player that can seriously trouble Nadal with his heavy shots, good serves, and excellent fitness, so I fancy him to do some damage tomorrow. I honestly think that Nadal is a bit overrated right now, as he hasn't really been tested by anyone. Only Diego raised to the occasion and took a set, while the likes of Del Potro and Gasquet just didn't even show up. I realize that Thiem has zero experience with GS finals, but I don't believe that matters too much in respect to this bet, as he's battle-tested against Nadal enough, with the H2H standing at 6-3 (all on clay!).