** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

£20 Daily Challenge - All Welcome

5 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

Resuming Lay bets for this comp.  This is now based upon significant shortening prices from the overnight position.  i.e. going against the crowd.  I had to look at 28 races to find this one!  B/Fwd -28.64

4.20 Km Downtown Getaway 15.15 Lay at 2.32 = 14.85 profit v £20 liability

Haha the market got it right today so a £20 loss = -£20 MTD & YTD -£48.64

It will be interesting to see what happens during the month of May 

12 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

2.50 Hunt Malina Jamila 27.40 @ 1.73 = £26.85 profit v £20 liability.  The horse was 6/4 last night and I don't see why a 16/1 shot being withdrawn should make its odds so short.  I am laying this turkey

It was a pity that the Skelton horse was withdrawn and that the Doc's horse blundered at the last hurdle.  - 20 = MTD -40 YTD -68.64

8 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

I'd much rather be backing odds on horses than backing against them.

I do avoid odds on selections, however, the horse in question was stated as 6/4 the previous night and that was after a 16/1 shot non-runner.  I trust the 10 pm prices as a good guide to the probability of a horse's chances of success.  Therefore, if the market goes mad on a selection and its price shortens significantly then I will "lay" the horse.  For the comp I have to adjust the liability to £20.  However, in practice, if I lay an odds on horse I adjust the profit to say £20 so that my liability is less than £20.  On the other hand if the odds are evens or higher I adjust the liability to say £20 

1 hour ago, The Equaliser said:

I do avoid odds on selections, however, the horse in question was stated as 6/4 the previous night and that was after a 16/1 shot non-runner.  I trust the 10 pm prices as a good guide to the probability of a horse's chances of success.  Therefore, if the market goes mad on a selection and its price shortens significantly then I will "lay" the horse.  For the comp I have to adjust the liability to £20.  However, in practice, if I lay an odds on horse I adjust the profit to say £20 so that my liability is less than £20.  On the other hand if the odds are evens or higher I adjust the liability to say £20 

The non runner was the trainers other horse, and the horse Malina Jamila was a non runner the day before so of the 2 entries this looked best for them, as it proved. I wouldn't stop you from laying short ones but handicap 'good things' rather than non handicaps may be better.

I rarely bet in maidens, as they are all trying to do something that they have never done before - Win. There can be many plots and sub plots in there.

Edited by Bang on

2 minutes ago, Bang on said:

The non runner was the trainers other horse, and the horse Malina Jamila was a non runner the day before so of the 2 entries this looked best for them, as it proved. I would stop you from laying short ones but handicap 'good things' rather than non handicaps may be better.

I rarely bet in maidens, as they are all trying to do something that they have never done before - Win. There can be many plots and sub plots in there.

Many thanks; I may well look at handicap short priced selections in the future

11 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

6.10 Nott Chimed Lay 23.26 @ 1.86 = £22.79 poss profit v £20 Liability.  This horse was showing up as 13/8 last night with Franz Strauss at 15/8.  The money has poured onto this one. There are at least two live contenders so worth a "lay" bet imo

Chimed ran badly in the race.  They said it ran to Freely.  I saw the same comment about Pride Of Priory yesterday.  Doe this mean that the horse takes off on its own and the jockey can do nothing about its running.  All very confusing.  At least I collected 22.79.  This gives me a MTD of -17.21 & YTD OF -45.85

I will look for a handicap selection tomorrow as per @Bang on's advice.  Gone are the days when we could all look for 7/2 plus favourites in many races.  They are quite often much shorter than those odds these days

7.50 War Oceans Red 19.61 @ 2.02  = 19.22 v £20 liability

This horse was 7/4 last night.  It has 3 live contenders so I will go with laying this one

I had to work through a lot of races to find a handicap with such a significant shortening in price.

I realise that @Bang onwould not recommend laying in non-handicaps but would like his view that if I chose some non-handicap races to consider what would he recommend? a lot of listed race hot pots seem to fail at short odds, I think

1 hour ago, The Equaliser said:

This horse was 7/4 last night.  It has 3 live contenders so I will go with laying this one

I had to work through a lot of races to find a handicap with such a significant shortening in price.

I realise that @Bang onwould not recommend laying in non-handicaps but would like his view that if I chose some non-handicap races to consider what would he recommend? a lot of listed race hot pots seem to fail at short odds, I think

Another race type that I rarely bet in, I treat them similar to handicaps so go ahead.

The reason IMO is, that you can get the craved for (by breeders) 'black type' in a listed race. BUT, listed races are not as hot as Group races, and sometimes a top handicapper can win. As you say, "a lot of listed hot pots seem to fail at short odds". The only advice I would give is to look closely at jockey bookings and trainers in form before deciding to lay a runner (of any race type). Maiden races are full of horses trying to do something they haven't done before - win, so could be a possible non handicap lay, but again, take a look at trainers course form, recent form, jockey bookings etc. 

Good luck.

12 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

RESULTS UPDATE

I didn't expect Oceans Red to run that bad.  Anyway a profit of £19.22 = MTD +£2.01 and YTD - 26.63