** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Group E Predictions (Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia)

34 minutes ago, kingaz said:

If swiss loses to serbia, serbia has 6 points, and swiss can reach max 4 points with win againts costa rica. Swiss can afford draw with serbs...

Yes, sorry, miscalculated that one. That's what I meant! :lol

Kingaz, stick around, I might need you to double check other stuff I post later in this tournament! :)

3 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I wonder how our Serbian contingent are feeling after that win. As I said before, I still think the game with Switzerland is the big one but at least they've got the win in that opening game which is crucial. The trouble now is that due to getting the draw with Brazil, Switzerland can afford to lose to Serbia and still qualify ahead of Serbia if Serbia lose to Brazil and Switzerland beat Costa Rica.

Very happy! Congrats on your predictions, you were spot-on with your bets on this game!

It was nice to finally see a cohesive midfield on our team and I personally am glad to see Sergej Milinković-Savić put a solid performance and work well with Matić and Milivojević, being a very late addition to this squad (due to the issues with the former manager, unfortunately). It's been a long time since we've had a solid midfield lineup, and our defense seems solid as well, though not ideal. Overall, people here are very happy with our first performance, though most of us have been preparing for a much worse outcome, so there's also that. The biggest problem in my opinion (which I mentioned in my first post) still remains an issue, however - our striker isn't the brightest fish in the sea, and he needs plenty of chances to make one count, and there won't be plenty versus the much tougher Brazil and Swiss squads. For this reason, one of the guys behind him will need to step up and shine in those two games if we're to hope to get something out of them. Some of them definitely have the potential to do so, and it will definitely be interesting to see if they will.

However, that draw between Brazil and the Switzerland was a rain on our parade.

It all comes down to the Friday clash with Switzerland now which, from what we've seen so far, could be anyone's game, and will likely be a tight contest with only a few opportunities to make a difference.

I am undecided on what to bet on at the moment. However, for those interested in doing so, it is worth noting that this will be an emotional match for both sides. This is because of the well-known Kosovo dispute. As some of you may have noticed, plenty of players on the Swiss team were born in, or originate from Kosovo (and some from Albania), and will surely be extra motivated for this game. On the other hand, Kosovo is, obviously, a very emotional topic for the Serbs as well, so any good result in clashes versus any team related to Albania or Kosovo always counts as a double.

I am certain that this will be almost as big motivator for both sides as points and the prospects of advancing to the next round for those who snatch a win. The atmosphere in the stands could likely be heated and not short of provocation from both sides. We are likely to see plenty of Kosovo and some greater Albania flags among the Swiss fans (as was the case in quite a few events in the past, probably the most famous one being the drone incident in the Euro 2016 qualifiers). Serbs, on the other hand, will likely respond with some well-known chants, backed by the local Russian fans with whom we have brotherly relations.

Our first-choice striker Aleksandar Mitrović has a reputation for being hot-headed and being prone to doing something stupid out of nowhere, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he allows some attempts at provocation to get to his head. I haven't checked the odds yet, but having a small stake on a red card in this game might be a worthwhile consideration, with him being the first choice.

Other than that, I'll let the things settle some more before deciding on any serious bets on this game. I'm inclined towards a low-scoring game, but that could be risky if our team decides to risk and go all in instead of hoping for a result from a game vs Brazil, which I'm sure will try to step up their game in the next two fixtures. So, perhaps a goalless first half instead.

I'll post my picks at a later date, should I find anything worthwhile.

20 hours ago, AlexD said:

I am undecided on what to bet on at the moment. However, for those interested in doing so, it is worth noting that this will be an emotional match for both sides. This is because of the well-known Kosovo dispute. As some of you may have noticed, plenty of players on the Swiss team were born in, or originate from Kosovo (and some from Albania), and will surely be extra motivated for this game. On the other hand, Kosovo is, obviously, a very emotional topic for the Serbs as well, so any good result in clashes versus any team related to Albania or Kosovo always counts as a double.

I am certain that this will be almost as big motivator for both sides as points and the prospects of advancing to the next round for those who snatch a win. The atmosphere in the stands could likely be heated and not short of provocation from both sides. We are likely to see plenty of Kosovo and some greater Albania flags among the Swiss fans (as was the case in quite a few events in the past, probably the most famous one being the drone incident in the Euro 2016 qualifiers). Serbs, on the other hand, will likely respond with some well-known chants, backed by the local Russian fans with whom we have brotherly relations.

Our first-choice striker Aleksandar Mitrović has a reputation for being hot-headed and being prone to doing something stupid out of nowhere, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he allows some attempts at provocation to get to his head. I haven't checked the odds yet, but having a small stake on a red card in this game might be a worthwhile consideration, with him being the first choice.

Serbia V Switzerland

Red Card given: Yes @ 5.5 Unibet

I was already considering an anytime red card play here but was completely unaware of the political background to this fixture until I read @AlexD's post. The Kosovo / Serbia context may well be an added inflammatory factor but the game will already be on a knife edge as the outcome should go some way to deciding who qualifies from the group. I think the most important thing to consider is that both these teams have players who are card magnets and I'm always half expecting a sending off when I see either of them play. So to have them playing each other along with all the other factors mentioned...

The total cards markets look to be priced correctly for this game and offer no added value in my view. However, 'Red Card given: Yes' looks generous @ 5.5 with Unibet so I will get involved.

1 hour ago, Mindfulness said:

I think the most important thing to consider is that both these teams have players who are card magnets and I'm always half expecting a sending off when I see either of them play. So to have them playing each other along with all the other factors mentioned...

This is true. In fact, We have grown to expect either a red card or a penalty eventually. Some of us are even joking that it is unfortunate that there wasn't a red card or a penalty in the match vs Costa Rica, as we're now statistically due for one vs either Switzerland or Brazil, either being a much worse scenario.

The reason for this is our past World Cup performances:

World Cup 2010

1st game (vs Ghana) - 1 red card for Serbia, 1 penalty for Ghana (not directly related)

2nd game (vs Germany) - 1 red card (for Germany, but worth mentioning), 1 penalty for Germany

World Cup 2006 (as Serbia and Montenegro)

2nd game (vs Argentina) - 1 red card for Serbia and Montenegro (direct)

3rd game (vs Ivory Coast) - 1 red card for Serbia and Montenegro, 1 red card for Ivory Coast, 2 penalties for Ivory Coast

While past performances are not necessarily an insight into the future events, it should definitely be noted.

As already mentioned, this will be an emotional and high-stakes match, with plenty of players who are card magnets, solid defenses and plenty of fouls. This, combined with the past performances and the penalties galore trend so far in this year's World Cup thanks to the implementation of VAR tech, along with the surprising (to me) fact that this is one of the longest runs without a red card in a World Cup in history, almost screams for at least a small stake on either a red card or a penalty in this game (or both, for the brave).

2 hours ago, AlexD said:

...and the penalties galore trend so far in this year's World Cup thanks to the implementation of VAR tech, along with the surprising (to me) fact that this is one of the longest runs without a red card in a World Cup in history...

The fact that this happened right after I mentioned it perfectly sums up my betting experience in this World Cup so far...

Brazil vs Costa Rica

Group E gets its second round of games underway on Friday afternoon at 1pm BST when tournament favourites with the bookies Brazil play Costa Rica at the Krestovsky Stadium in St Petersburg. Bizarrely, Tite's side know anything but a win would seriously jeopardise their hopes of qualifying for the last 16. It's unthinkable right?

The opening game 1-1 draw with Switzerland was not expected by many Brazilian fans. It was the first time since 1978 that Brazil had failed to win their first game at a World Cup. In fact, the lack of penetration Brazil showed against a stubborn Swiss defence asked a lot of questions regarding how Neymar et al might handle defensive teams throughout the competition.

Costa Rica will be disappointed that they didn't take anything from their game with Serbia. Los Ticos reached the Quarter-Finals in 2014 against all odds and even though they matched Serbia in terms of their stats they looked well short of the quality possessed four years ago.

Brazil looked slightly short on ideas on the weekend but we shouldn't take anything away from Switzerland. The European side performed very well. It wasn't pretty but it was effective. It was also managed in a way that Costa Rica are unlikely to replicate so expect the likes of Neymar, Gabriel Jesus, and Philippe Coutinho to get a bit more space and more opportunities to score.

There is a feeling that Costa Rica won't boast the defensive stability that Switzerland had in their opening game. Brazil will not only be keen to make amends for the draw on Sunday night but they should have more openings to exploits against this Costa Rica side. I'm predicting Brazil to stick 2 or 3 on their opponents and Costa Rica will do well to carve out any real openings.

Brazil -1 @ 1.75 with SunBets

Brazil HT/FT @ 1.83 with Ladbrokes

On 6/18/2018 at 11:37 AM, AlexD said:

Very happy! Congrats on your predictions, you were spot-on with your bets on this game!

It was nice to finally see a cohesive midfield on our team and I personally am glad to see Sergej Milinković-Savić put a solid performance and work well with Matić and Milivojević, being a very late addition to this squad (due to the issues with the former manager, unfortunately). It's been a long time since we've had a solid midfield lineup, and our defense seems solid as well, though not ideal. Overall, people here are very happy with our first performance, though most of us have been preparing for a much worse outcome, so there's also that. The biggest problem in my opinion (which I mentioned in my first post) still remains an issue, however - our striker isn't the brightest fish in the sea, and he needs plenty of chances to make one count, and there won't be plenty versus the much tougher Brazil and Swiss squads. For this reason, one of the guys behind him will need to step up and shine in those two games if we're to hope to get something out of them. Some of them definitely have the potential to do so, and it will definitely be interesting to see if they will.

However, that draw between Brazil and the Switzerland was a rain on our parade.

It all comes down to the Friday clash with Switzerland now which, from what we've seen so far, could be anyone's game, and will likely be a tight contest with only a few opportunities to make a difference.

Other than that, I'll let the things settle some more before deciding on any serious bets on this game. I'm inclined towards a low-scoring game, but that could be risky if our team decides to risk and go all in instead of hoping for a result from a game vs Brazil, which I'm sure will try to step up their game in the next two fixtures. So, perhaps a goalless first half instead.

I'll post my picks at a later date, should I find anything worthwhile.

mitrovic is 22/1 to be sent off with b365

Serbia vs Switzerland

If there was one game at this tournament where I really couldn't separate the two sides based upon what I had seen in their opening group game then it is this one. Serbia versus Switzerland in a 7pm BST kick-off this Friday night at the Kaliningrad Stadium in Kaliningrad.

Serbia secured a tight 1-0 win over Costa Rica in their opening game but it was deserved. The opposition might have been lacking but, as I suspected, Serbia got the job done with another solid defensive display. The midfield shut the creative game for Costa Rica down and it allowed them to sneak the win with Aleksandar Kolarov's superb free-kick.

Switzerland showed little attacking intent against Brazil but managed to get an unexpected 1-1 draw. It was a display that didn't really tell us a lot about how Vladimir Petkovic's men will handle a team on their level but it did show they know how to shut up shop when needed so Serbia had better hope they don't go a goal down in this match.

A lot of chat in this thread about backing a red card in this game. @waynecoyne, that's a great shout on Aleksandar Mitrovic to be sent off. Surely worth a small punt. I think suggesting the red card bet sums up how many of us think this game could be. It'll be progressive, it'll be dour, it'll be a battle, and it's more likely than not going to end in a draw.

Mladen Krstajic's side come into the game as narrow favourites but I feel that's not warranted. It's almost impossible to pick a superior side after one game. If anything, I still feel that Switzerland might just have a bit more about them. I am just finding it very hard to pick an outright winner so I'll have to recommend a draw. If I had to pick a correct score I'd say 1-1 or maybe a single goal deciding it. Don't expect anything thrilling here.

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.53 with SunBets

Total Corners Under 9.5 @ 2.05 with BetStars

Football Facts and Streaks regarding FIFA World Cup

There have been under 2.5 goals scored in 83% of Iceland's last 6 games in FIFA World Cup.
Brazil are undefeated in their last 18 matches in FIFA World Cup.
Switzerland are undefeated in 93% of their last 15 matches in FIFA World Cup.
Serbia are undefeated in 93% of their last 14 matches in FIFA World Cup.
Brazil are undefeated in their last 5 matches against Costa Rica in all competitions.

You can find interesting 27 Football Betting Streaks for 22.06.2018 on this link ... http://eurofootballrumours.com/football-facts-and-streaks-22-06-2018-10034

Very important match for the two teams, especially for Switzerland, which if lost will not have substantial hopes of qualification. The two teams are very tough, defensive, I expect a very closed match with a few goals, the luck is the half time tie
SERBIA vs SWITZERLAND @@ 1ο Half Draw, odds 1.85

There is a difference in capacity between the two teams, but the Brazilians are required to be serious and to prove on the court that they are a favorite. Costa Rica, will try to close the spaces and with its defense to get the result
BRAZIL vs COSTA RICA @@ +2.50 Under, odds 2.02

Brazil vs Costa Rica

As the favorites to lift the World Cup, Brazil's quality is beyond all doubts. However, they are held by Switzerland in the 1st match, which is a big surprise. So Brazil cannot afford any mistake in the 2nd game.

Costa Rica are the poorest side in Group E, and Brazil are absolutely superior in terms of skills and tactics.

The AH line changes from -1.75 to -2.00 for Brazil in this clash, which is in favor of Tite's team.

In conclusion, 7M Sports expect Brazil to win this game as well as in AH payout.

Serbia vs Switzerland

Serbia's players not only have both skill and strength, but also have a high technical and tactical literacy.

On the other hand, Switzerland have a strong style of playing, and in recent years a number of highly skilled players have emerged.

Given both sides' performance in their first games, Serbia's ability of grabbing points needs to be improved, while Switzerland are superior to Serbia in overall quality and experience. 

So 7M Sports expect Switzerland to keep unbeaten in this game.

Excuse the lack of write-ups, it's been a manic week on my end. Incoming research with some potential value picks as I have yet to throw any money on them yet.

Serbia - Switzerland

I find value in Switzerland win simply due to their organization and resistance to conceding goals.

fivethirtyeight have Switzerland at 42% chance of winning and the odds of 3.1 indicate value in backing Switzerland. Of course, this is football and the stats don't always explain the performances (Croatia, Iceland and many more 'upsets'). This is simply sniping for value.

I reckon this game can go either way and it will be a midfield battle. Serbia's midfield edges Switzerland's, personally, and it would be interesting to see how they match up.

Behrami (MOTM for Switzerland vs Brazil) might be out due to a knock vs Brazil. Zakaria is a capable player of filling that role but starting Behrami is a no-brainer. Should he get a yellow card and the Swiss pick up a result here, he will be available for the second round.

Lots of value in the cards here. I personally took Shaqiri @ 3.4 and Kolarov @ 3.6 to be carded any time. Shaqiri can be petulant and of course, we have the historical tension between both teams. Furthermore, both teams attack predominantly on the right (42% for Switzerland vs Brazil) as Xherdan is their talisman and playmaker.

Tadic vs Rodriguez will be a good battle too but unfortunately Tadic has been erratic over the past two seasons. He came into form during the end of the season and I can see him linking up with SMS in midfield nicely. He also is an excellent distributor of the ball into the box but alas, Mitrovic needs to find his scoring boots again.

Lichsteiner made me some money vs Brazil but I think he might be a bit more careful here.

Matic, Dzemaili and Xhaka also candidates to get booked. Dzemaili had the 'destroyer' role vs Brazil, looking to disrupt passing lanes and get into the players. I can see him getting carded again should he be trusted with this role again. Xhaka has made me a decent penny in EPL, with his yellow cards and another booking tonight would not surprise me, @ 2.6 anytime card.

The U2.5 is 1.53 with some of my mates calling it a 'banker' and I would agree. Both teams have solid defenses and poor attacking strengths. I would prefer waiting for the first goal and then playing the U2.5, provided it comes in the first half which is also unlikely.

The average height of the Serbs could very well see them score from a set piece and negate Switzerland.

I like the look of HT X @ 1.83 and @betcatalog's footballing nous speaks for itself; tailing this.

This game can go either way and I will be scrutinizing it mainly due to the score predictor game I am playing where I am currently top 500 in the world and it's games like these that separate the boys from men.

Brazil - Costa Rica

Not a lot of value in this game for me so this write up will be short.

I am secretly hoping Neymar doesn't play as predicted due to injury, allowing Coutinho to slot into his role on LW where he thrives for me. He can draw quite a few fouls here and Gamboa and Acosta will have a handful to deal with. Acosta anytime booking @ 2.9 is decent. Looking at the odds, Watson @ 1.8 to be booked is one of the lowest prices I've come across. Finally, Casemiro to be booked is 2.5. This came through last game and he might pick up a card to miss the final game as Brazil should wrap this up in a tidy fashion. Casemiro also made me a lot of money in CL with his tendency to pick up cards but this would depend on Costa Rica possession and as such I may abstain from this.

For me, Brazil are winning this 2-0 with Neymar and perhaps more without him. Their sheer reliance on him is annoying as it's one dimensional and they don't move the ball quick enough. Belgium have the same problem with Hazard. 

No value in EH markets, HT markets or even the over/under as anything could happen but I see Costa Rica parking the bus and Brazil killing off the game between 45-60th minute.

Serbia vs Switzerland

As expected, this is the most important game of our WC campaign.
It's needless to say that I'm super stoked for this one, and can't wait for the kick-off.

The game will most likely be a bloodshed and lack excitement in terms of beautiful plays. The weather in Kaliningrad is rainy since this morning, and with both teams already being expected to commit a lot of fouls and bookings, Felix Brych being picked as the referee doesn't help on this plan at all, as he is prone to frequently calling fouls, which will interrupt the play even more. This game is bound to be a nail-biter for the fans of both teams from start to finish, and likely a dull encounter for unbiased enthusiasts tuning in.

Red card given has already been discussed a lot on this thread so I won't go further into that topic, but looking for value in yellow card bets should be a good place to start when looking for profits in this one.

As for picking the winner, this is anyone's game, with the Swiss having the luxury of being able to afford a draw, while such an outcome for the Serbian team puts them in a highly unfavorable position of needing to get point(s) in their final game against Brazil, which is a hard task for any team, even more so after a draw in their first game vs Switzerland.

Given my unfortunate circumstances which led to being forced to bet locally for the remainder of this World Cup, my betting strategy needs to constantly adapt to looking for value in the ever-changing odds at the local bookies. The odds on this game have switched places compared to before the WC started, with now Serbia being labeled favorites @ 2.6, draw being valued @ 3.0, and the Swiss being slight underdogs @ 3.0. I, therefore, see no value in betting on Serbia, given that the Swiss team is better ranked, has a batter match/result form prior to this WC, and (at least on paper) a draw against Brazil is a bigger achievement than beating Costa Rica. This leads me to think that there is value in double chance on Switzerland, combined with total goals scored under 2.5, given a likely rigid and careful start to the game from both sides, at least until a goal happens.

Disclaimer: Please note that I am biased for this game and am prepared to lose this bet in exchange for seeing our team play in the playoffs.

We should expect a hard-fought battle in the midfield from both sides, as well as strong, disciplined and committed defenses.
On the defensive end, while both sides have given good performances in their opening games, the credit has to go to the Swiss team as their defensive effort was very impressive against Brazil. If they can repeat that in tonight's game, and Serbia doesn't find a way to improve on their inspiration from the game vs Costa Rica, they could easily and up with a clean sheet. 

Both teams have some solid individuals in the middle of the pitch, with Serbia maybe having slightly more potential in their passing game, if Matić, Milinković-Savić and Milivojević put on another solid performance. There's also news that Ajax have completed a record signing of Tadić, so I wonder if that should motivate him to give a great performance, or if his mind will be elsewhere.

Serbia's team is one of the tallest in this World Cup, so they should have advantage in aerial duels, and pose a threat from set pieces, should they be given a chance to do so. This could work in our favor, given that the weather in Kaliningrad is rainy today, which, combined with likely-frequent calls by the ref could lead to a lot of long balls and headers rather than playing the ball to the feet, which I think both sides prefer to do. After that banger in the first round, Kolarov should be expected to cause trouble for the Swiss if there happens to be a set piece.

The outcome of this game could well come down to who performs better in corner kicks or set pieces.

I expect the biggest threats to Serbian goal to come from the shots from outside or mixups in the area after corner kicks or set pieces. Unfortunately, there are no markets here for such bets, but having a small stake on Swiss to score from outside the box might be a fun yet quite plausible bet.

I see no value on HT draw at given odds, as an early goal from a set piece could open up this game, making anything possible, depending on which side scores that goal. Perhaps a goalless half time yet again, keeping up with the trend so far.

Finally, if any of you have access to some crazy offers like game is going to be interrupted or such, do not be surprised if they hit. Local bookies have withdrawn such offers for this game, which is curious. One never knows what to expect from crazy Serbian fans on one side, and Albanians cheering for Switzerland on the other (this topic was covered in one of my previous posts).

To conclude - this game could go either way, so I might as well go for a win-win and pick the outcomes that do not favor the chances of my team advancing to the playoffs, while staying in the domain of plausible, of course (at least in such scenario I'll have a budget to drown my sorrow). While Serbia is expected to push more for a goal and has the individual potential to do so, the Swiss are more than capable to holding them off, and they'll certainly try to bag one or two in given the chance.

Singles:

Serbia not to win (double chance - Switzerland) combined with total goals scored under 2.5 @ 2.00 (local)
Switzerland to score 1 or 2 goals @ 1.75 (local)
Over 3.5 bookings (yellow+red) @ 1.7 (local)

Red Card given: Yes @ 5.5 (Unibet) - courtesy of @Mindfulness
Aleksandar Mitrovic to be sent off @ 23.00 (B365) - courtesy of @waynecoyne
CS 0:0 @ 6.75 (local) [aren't we due for one in this WC anyway?]

Accumulator bets:

Brazil to win and total goals scored over 1.5
Switzerland X2 and total goals scored under 2.5

Total odds @ 3.00 (local)

Brazil HT/FT + total goals scored 3-5
Iceland DNB
Switzerland to score 1 or 2 goals

Total odds @ 7.75 (local)

PS - Sorry for the long rant again, it's a product of pregame anxiety!

• StevieDay1983 changed the title to Group E Predictions (Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia)

Serbia vs Brazil

Group E comes to a dramatic close at 7pm BST this Wednesday evening when Serbia play Brazil at the Otkritie Arena in Moscow. Both teams can still qualify for the last 16 but everything is hanging in the balance with Switzerland also firmly in the mix. The winners here would seal their spot in the second round, a draw would leave things open depending on the other game, and a loss would leave hopes hanging by a thread relying on a Costa Rica result.

Serbia have played exactly as I expected heading into this tournament. They have tightened up and it worked against Costa Rica but they were unravelled against Switzerland. That result could be the one that will hurt them. I'm not sure they will fend off a Brazil side that hasn't quite got going yet but remains a threat going forward.

Brazil were controversially held to a 1-1 draw in their opening game with Switzerland. They then needed two goals in injury time to see off Costa Rica. The important fact here was that they didn't stop. Even in the dying embers of the game they stayed strong and kept going. That mentality will serve them well. Particularly in this game. If they need a goal in the dying minutes they have shown they have it in their locker.

The fact a draw would do for Brazil here means Serbia need to come out firing and that could be a problem. They have been at their best playing a patient game. They aren't afforded that luxury here. They can't do what Switzerland did in that opening game. Unless Switzerland lose to Costa Rica then a draw won't be good enough for Mladen Krstajic's side. Playing a more expansive game that is needed will leave them exposed. I fear Serbia could be torn apart over the course of 90 minutes. Couldn't ignore Neymar as anytime scorer either. 1.65 with some bookies so at that price with Betway he has to be snapped up.

Brazil -1 @ 2.50 with Bet365

Neymar Anytime Scorer @ 2.05 with Betway

Switzerland vs Costa Rica

The second game in the final round of Group E matches is Switzerland versus Costa Rica in a 7pm BST kick-off at Nizhny Novgorod Stadium in Nizhny Novgorod tomorrow evening. Costa Rica are already eliminated but they could poop on Switzerland's parade with a win here.

Switzerland are in an excellent position after their 1-1 draw with Brazil and 2-1 win over closest rivals Serbia. I think Vladimir Petkovic's side have already done enough to qualify because I am struggling to see Serbia take anything against Brazil. However, can they finish off with a win against an under-performing Costa Rica.

Oscar Ramirez will be hoping his team can end on a high after a disappointing World Cup. Four years on from the 2014 edition and their Quarter-Final run seems like a lifetime ago. The 1-0 loss to Serbia followed by the late 2-0 defeat to Brazil leaves them on zero points and no goals scored. Their fans expect better.

I've been impressed by Switzerland so far. I am backing them to reach the last 16 now. I think they will win this game and I also think they'll be a match for whoever they face in the last 16. My predictions suggests they will most likely play Mexico in the 2nd Round. That's certainly a game they will feel they can win. Are the Swiss starting to dream of the impossible?

Switzerland to win @ 1.89 with MarathonBet

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.70 with BetVictor

While I agree with most of the predictions by @StevieDay1983, in the light of the events which took place in this group in the last round, I'll refrain from analyzing performances of the teams involved, as well as the games that take place tomorrow.

Game 1

Switzerland to win @ 1.85
Switzerland to win to nil @ 2.58
Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.72

Game 2

Brazil to win and BTTS @ 3.65

Best of luck!

13 minutes ago, AlexD said:

While I agree with most of the predictions by @StevieDay1983, in the light of the events which took place in this group in the last round, I'll refrain from analyzing performances of the teams involved, as well as the games that take place tomorrow.

Game 1

Switzerland to win @ 1.85
Switzerland to win to nil @ 2.58
Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.72

Game 2

Brazil to win and BTTS @ 3.65

Best of luck!

Yes, I particularly like that Switzerland to win to nil tip! :ok

Football Facts and Streaks regarding FIFA World Cup

Germany have won 92% of their last 12 matches in FIFA World Cup.
Costa Rica have lost their last 3 matches in FIFA World Cup.
Brazil have kept a clean sheet in 75% of their last 12 matches in FIFA World Cup.
Germany are undefeated in 97% of their last 30 matches in FIFA World Cup.
Brazil are undefeated in their last 19 matches in FIFA World Cup.
Sweden have kept a clean sheet in their last 4 matches against Mexico in all competitions.
Mexico are undefeated in 94% of their last 18 matches in FIFA World Cup.
Switzerland are undefeated in 94% of their last 16 matches in FIFA World Cup.

You can find interesting 34 Football Betting Streaks for 27.06.2018 on this link ... http://eurofootballrumours.com/football-facts-and-streaks-27-06-2018-10073

Qualification match, whichever team loses, I expect the two teams to be rather cautious and not to take any special risks, but both teams have not shown stability in the two games of the group. I'm expecting a game of patience with few phases and goals
SERBIA vs BRAZIL @@ +2.50 Under, odds 2.02

I think and important variable is missing, as this group matches will be played after Group F matches have finish, which might deliver a key component to the teams, as they might try to avoid Germany (if they qualify!) which lets says end in second place of group F, then Brazil might be content with the draw against Serbia, meanwhile Switzerland beats Costa Rica, to take second place and take on Mexico or Sweden, but all is supossion until Group F is not settle!

2 hours ago, Xcout said:

I think and important variable is missing, as this group matches will be played after Group F matches have finish, which might deliver a key component to the teams, as they might try to avoid Germany (if they qualify!) which lets says end in second place of group F, then Brazil might be content with the draw against Serbia, meanwhile Switzerland beats Costa Rica, to take second place and take on Mexico or Sweden, but all is supossion until Group F is not settle!

While this is true, playing for a draw against a team who has nothing to lose and can only go through by pulling an unlikely upset win (which would most likely eliminate Brazil, or at least put their fate in the hands of Switzerland and Costa Rica) could turn out to be a dangerous gamble. Besides, anything short of a win for Brazil would cause further pressure on their team because, well, they're Brazil. I don't think their public will take kindly to them going through a group with two (potential) draws and a win against Costa Rica snatched in the stoppage time. While they have a different team and a new manager now (who has an impressive record so far), WC 2014 performance (even before getting humiliated by the Germans) is a wound that still hasn't fully healed yet, even after winning the tournament in the Olympics in Rio in 2016. Grinding their way though the group stages in a non-comfortable manner would be a painful reminder and a likely cause for panic or pressure.

On the other hand, in the press conference, Miranda declared that "Brazil are playing to top the group, not pick their next opponent", dismissing any ideas that they could be playing with playoff tree in mind.

There's that old saying that a rich man does not go yelling around that he's rich. Therefore, anytime I hear such "obvious" statements from the players, I put a small asterisk in my books, which means "don't be surprised if things go the other way".

So far, Brazil have been heading in the right direction in this tournament, improving their performance as time went by. What's different in their game against Serbia is that they're finally playing a team which will attack them rather than playing conservatively, a setting in which Brazil is supposed to shine and play their best game. It is for this reason that they're relishing the prospect of playing Serbia tonight. Also, the Serbian team is yet to demonstrate that their fitness level is appropriate for more than 70 minutes of play. Brazil has shown that they can get the job done in 10 inspired minutes, should it come to that.

I know I promised not to go into analyzing for these two games, but I thought you might find these points useful in your own analysis.

I've never understood the "let's play to get 2nd place" strategy. So you get 2nd place, and a theoretically easier match in the last 16, but you're still going to have to beat the best teams at some point to win it, so what's the point? It's a poor mentality for teams that do this as Denmark did.

Try to win every match is my attitude, and I don't see either of Belgium or England letting up in their final match and rightly so.

6 hours ago, Sir Puntalot said:

I've never understood the "let's play to get 2nd place" strategy. So you get 2nd place, and a theoretically easier match in the last 16, but you're still going to have to beat the best teams at some point to win it, so what's the point? It's a poor mentality for teams that do this as Denmark did.

Try to win every match is my attitude, and I don't see either of Belgium or England letting up in their final match and rightly so.

Agreed with SirPaul! Indeed is a poor mentality, if you want to win titles, you have to perform not matter what teams is infront!

Also I completely agree with @AlexD to speculate is a very dangerous gamble. And meanwhile I think in the same way that Brazil needs to perform at an excellent level, I also consider that there is nothing wrong with advancing in second place, the objective is to get through the group stage and from there go stage after stage.

Now besides that, I also think Brazil have the perfect scenario with a Serbia in need of the victory and the open spaces will be something Brazil strikers will take advantage of.  And now with things settle in group F, the first place looks like a great position in order to face Mexico in next stage (which might look simple, but might be a level match!).

Thanks to @AlexD for those useful thoughts!

I also will avoid this encounters.

My two cents with regards to Switzerland vs Costa Rica, altought Costa Rica have not even score a single goal, their defense has hold for most of the matches with GK Keylor Navas showing why he is Real Madrid keeper. Therefore that match could end with a under 2.5 due to that.