** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Group A Predictions (Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay)

Egypt vs Uruguay

One of the most intriguing early games in the tournament comes on Friday lunch-time when Egypt play Uruguay in a 1pm BST kick-off at Central Stadium in Yekaterinburg. Can Mo Salah recover from his shoulder injury to inspire his team against a side spear headed by Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani?

I'm going to put it out there early. Uruguay are my pick as dark horses. I've gone through the predictions and they repeatedly reach at least the quarter-finals. Having seen how they play against Wales in the China Cup earlier this year I really think they are a very solid international team now.

Egypt qualified with relative ease for the World Cup. It is their first tournament since 1990. Hector Cuper's men qualified with a game to spare in their African section group that included Uganda, Ghana, and Congo. However, since then it has not been so good with their five pre-tournament friendlies only producing 2 draws and 3 losses. The concern over Salah's injury is also a potential issue.

Uruguay qualified with ease from the CONMEBOL section of qualification. Oscar Tabarez's side finished in 2nd place behind just Brazil and finished ahead of the likes of Argentina, Colombia, and Chile. They haven't conceded a goal in their last three friendly games and they will be hoping the solid defence plus their attacking threat can deliver a first World Cup win since 1950.

I really think Uruguay will start this tournament with a business-like win. My prediction is a 1-0 or 2-0 win. I don't think Salah will quite be fit enough to make a major impact here and Uruguay will take full advantage of that.

Uruguay AH -1 @ 2.10 with 888Sport

Uruguay HT/FT @ 2.62 with Coral

22 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Will mull it over a bit more tomorrow but I've sold the time of 1st Saudi Arabia tournament goal at 138 with SPIN.

Bear in mind they play Uruguay after Russia and you're into losing territory if they haven't scored 48 minutes into their second game.

Yes, that's what I am thinking.

i have bought the Saudi performance & mini performance with SX

If they can avoid a thrashing, and maybe sneak a win or draw then profit looks pretty good

On 6/12/2018 at 8:25 PM, Sir Puntalot said:

Saudi Arabia Win @ 9/1 (10.00) Bet365

I have Russia currently under performing by 67%

Whilst Saudi Arabia playing just above average @ 3%

image.png.b965ea4dda59fe6abd61b14deb176a42.png

Under 2.5 goals looks good either way @ 1.57 most books

or Saudi win & under 2.5 goals @ 12.00 Hills

or a dutched double on the pair for 38% roi if under 2.5 or 177% roi if they both come in :ok

Edited by Valiant Thor

Of course Russia to win has the better probability and also under 2.5 seems to be very attractive but I will play neither better probability nor something attractive.    Probably I am wrong but will see on Grand Total at the end of the tournament.

Just imagine what the big pressure is on Russia today. They are playing  on the opening game at home and any wrong step is almost fatal because will have to deal with Egypt (nothing to lose with 0 points after probably will lose against Uruguay tomorrow) and Uruguay (probably qualified but interested to meet more convenient opponent next game – hard to say what is better to play against  Spain or Portugal ).  Hard to see Russia going further…

Today I see a game where the Russians will try to score on the first minutes but their defense is week in my opinion and very probably will received the first goal of the World Cup on the counter attack in the first half then I cannot see Russia to win. Maybe other few goals from both sides but, as I mentioned,  very complicated opening game for Russia today.   

Two for today:

1.       1. Saudi Arabia AH+0.5@ 2.93  Pinnacle

2.       2. Considering  the WC opening games history, Under 2.5 is a big favorite (very big price to take it) but Over 2.5 @ 2.43 Pinnacle is far better to play today.   

Edited by giraldi
correct

2 hours ago, Valiant Thor said:

Dont think many saw that coming :loon

Not too many winning selections posted! Smolov got the hook to land 1 bet for me and the late (and cheap) Russian yellow minimised my card loss but that sell of time of 1st Saudi tournament goal looks not too clever now.

@Tiffy why did you have to bring that market to my attention! :lol

Egypt v Uruguay: My first bet here is another "not to play the whole match" bet, this time at bigger odds. I've gone for Suarez at 6/1. 

Having looked at the opening 8 games I did 5 of those bets as singles and covered the trebles and fourfolds. After Smolov and Suarez the others are 6/5 Griezmann, 4/1 Moses and 5/2 Farfan.

Criteria being how often the player is subbed off in competitive games.

1 hour ago, harry_rag said:

Not too many winning selections posted! Smolov got the hook to land 1 bet for me and the late (and cheap) Russian yellow minimised my card loss but that sell of time of 1st Saudi tournament goal looks not too clever now.

@Tiffy why did you have to bring that market to my attention! :lol

FCUK! What happened there! No one saw that coming did they? Don't think there has been an opening game like that has there. Fair play to Russia, they did the business when it mattered.

SA now need to come out and play/score early in the next game, so hopefully you won't suffer any damage.

i had a nightmare today!

Both team played extremely weak in my opinion. Too many unforced errors for this level. I think I did not see many  times more than 5 passes.in a row. 

If had not been host nation Russia would have been out in preliminary almost sure. Also, good to have exotic teams there but when I think that Italy, Holland...etc are home......

Finally,  of course I am very happy with +20% after the first day. 

Egypt v Uruguay Prediction

Friday, 1:00 pm
15-06-2018
Central Stadium (Yekaterinburg)

The second match of Group A will see Egypt and Uruguay go head to head at the Central Stadium in Yekaterinburg.

The Egyptians approach this game on the back of six consecutive games without a win. They suffered a (3-0) defeat against Belgium at the King Baudouin Stadium in Brusel last week.

The Sky Blue's on the other hand enjoyed a (3-0) win against Uzbekistan in their last outing.

Players to Watch

Mo Salah is unlikely to feature in this game following the shoulder injury he sustained in the final of the UEFA Champions League against Real Madrid.

If he does start or play some part of the game, he will definitely be a boost for the The Pharaohs.

PSG's Edinson Cavani and Barcelona's Luis Suarez will be joining forces in attack for Uruguay. While Atletico Madrid's Deigo Godin will be at the heart of defense for the La Celeste.

Head to Head

These sides have met once in a 2006 International Friendly, were Uruguay won 0-2.

Facts

Egypt lost to Uruguay in their last encounter.

Uruguay have played four straight games without a draw.

Uruguay have won each of their last three games.

Prediction: Uruguay to win | 2

Edited by Sir Puntalot
Link disallowed, post in correct threads please.

2 hours ago, mcsilks said:

Having watched Saudi Arabia last night, I like the look of their total group points of 0 @ 10/11 quite appealing. I cannot see them picking up points against Egypt or Uruguay.

I will also take Russia's total group points of 3 @ 11/2.

And Panama's total group points of 0 @ 11/4.

who is the 11/4 with for 0 points?

1. Egypt - Uruguay

Of course Uruguay has much more experience at WC, a much better team and do not think that will have problems today. The only problem is what to bet because the prices are too high. 

Finally,  my selection is  AH -1.5 Uruguay @ 2.67 Pinnacle

2. Morocco - Iran.

Probably at this moment Morocco has a better team but considering there is the first game and more experience for Iran at WC... Also I remember 2014 when they received ony one goal after first 2 games with Nigeria and Argentina (91 minute Messi).  It is not a easy team at all.

My selection is    Iran  @ 3.92 Pinnacle

3. Portugal - Spain

I do not think Morocco or Iran will create problems on the next games so I do not see any reason to force something today.  Just thinking about the next opponent Russia or Uruguay...but to early to choose.  

My selection is   Draw  @ 3.32 Pinnacle

Edited by giraldi
correct

This looks a good spot mcsilks, the general price is around 2/1.

Panama are meant to be the worst team in the tournament and on the evidence of saudi arabia they must be bad if they are worse than them. They will probably defend in depth and try to keep it tight looking at their results which are mainly low scoring affairs (excluding a 6-0 reverse to switzerland). You would hope england and belgium would have too much and if so it comes down to the game with tunisia who against spain looked half decent-spain won 1-0 with a late goal. 

Looking forward to the opening game but, so far, it's not looking like a serious betting heat for me. As well as the 6/1 Suarez not to play the whole match, I've had singles on him and Cavani to score in both halves at 20/1 with 888

Egypt may look to keep it tight for a while but I think those prices are generous enough for an interest bet. Half that elsewhere.

On 5/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, StevieDay1983 said:

Interesting call there, @Dalan Quaice! I'm not convinced by Russia at all. Their low-key display at last summer's Confederations Cup has only substantiated what I felt. I can see Uruguay going through as group winners and Egypt pipping Russia to second place. Saudi Arabia just being there to make up the numbers.

In hindsight, I think I was being too complimentary there. It turns out Saudi Arabia have qualified simply for some comic relief!

Last one for me on the opener, Warda anytime at 15 on BF. Not sure they'll pose that much goal threat but he may be slightly underestimated at that price.

Oh, and forgot one I placed last night; bought Cavani's headed goal minutes at 4 with SPIN. Up to 5 now but also ok at double digit anytime prices that are knocking around.

Edited by harry_rag
Added a selection