** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Grex's SAM System - 124 bets -1% yield

Grex

I have been around on this Forum for a long time – and have published various systems with varying degrees of success :\

Previously, I have usually tried to develop my own statistical system for predicting the results of matches. However, this system is different in that it “piggy-backs” on the predictions of SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) – developed by Ian McHale, a professor at the University of Liverpool. The predictions apply only to the English Premier League. As SAM’s predictions are published on the BBC website, I hope that I am not infringing any copyright rules by using them.

Basically, my system takes SAM’s predictions for 1-X-2 and compares the projected probability with published odds on Bet365 in order to calculate odds “value”. Then, by applying cut-off limits to the “value” and to the odds themselves, the system selects games on which to bet 1-X-2.

SAM also predicts the most likely score-lines, and I have included these in the system as a test.

I have followed the system for a very limited number of games in the EPL this season – there are gaps in the coverage, when I failed to get access to SAM’s predictions. The performance is good, but obviously with limited data.

The table below shows the results to date, and the selections for Saturday’s games. I stress that this is still very much in the testing phase, and I recommend that nobody risks their hard cash until the system demonstrates profit (if any) over a longer period.

I will update the table after Saturday’s games, and include selections for the games to be played on Sunday and Monday (SAM’s predictions are not yet available).

Wish me luck :hope

XaaOxJu.jpg

Edited by Grex

Thanks, Harry. I recently mentioned the possibility of starting a new system in my old "HOMES" thread, but I have never used SAM's predictions before.

By the way, I apologise for the poor definition of the graphic in my first post - I will have to work on this - possibly, using another image hosting site.

Edited by Grex

A good start for the 1-X-2 selections - 52% ROI. A marginal profit for the "correct score" system - only one winner out of eight. I suppose this is to be expected with odds of 5.5 to 8.5. It will be a roller-coaster ride - but let's see how it goes.

Summary of results in the table below, plus a selection for Sunday. Unfortunately, SAM's predictions for Monday's game are not published yet, so I will post again on Monday morning.

1WUf231.jpg

Edited by Grex
English !!

It doesn't look as if BBC is going to publish the SAM predictions for the Monday game :\

So, I post the update including Sunday's Watford v West Ham game - the correct result, but not the correct score. I have adjusted the font - so, I hope it is easier to read.

The ROI on 1-X-2 system moves up slightly to 62% - but still VERY early days.

c8Y2BJt.jpg

9 hours ago, thecurlyone1 said:

Sam has made predictions for tonight 

You were right, Curly One - but, unfortunately, I was travelling and missed them :\

Hi, Justanotherpunter - you can find the predictions at the bottom of each analysis page on BBC Sport, e.g. for tomorrow's Newcastle v Everton game, the link is http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42247118 

1-X-2 selections for Wednesday evening are few - but they do include the first "X" selection. :hope

hfwaprB.jpg

Haven't got a clue what people are putting their money on (if any).

I did say in my first post "I recommend that nobody risks their hard cash until the system demonstrates profit (if any) over a longer period"......... and this still applies. It is still VERY early days.

1 hour ago, yesitsme said:

Understood. 

I'm toying with it, albeit tiny stakes (1 or 2£)

You have been warned :loon

But, if you are going to go for it, I suggest you bet on the 1-X-2. Although SAM uses unknown algorithms to predict "correct scores", they are still an absolute lottery - OK, it's providing a good ROI at the moment, but with odds of 7.0 - 8.0, there could be very L - O - N - G losing streaks :\

1 hour ago, Grex said:

You have been warned :loon

But, if you are going to go for it, I suggest you bet on the 1-X-2. Although SAM uses unknown algorithms to predict "correct scores", they are still an absolute lottery - OK, it's providing a good ROI at the moment, but with odds of 7.0 - 8.0, there could be very L - O - N - G losing streaks :\

Cheers - don't worry, I won't blame you if I lose money! 

I agree. The correct score looked tempting at first, but hasn't won in several bets. The 1x2 ought to be more consistent. 

4 hours ago, Grex said:

Thanks, Torque.

A losing streak of 40 :loon would kill most bettors.

Presumably this figure is based on random betting. Perhaps SAM's more informed analysis will reduce the risk of having such long losing streaks - but it should still be avoided. 

As I understand it, it's based on any set of bets with around a 15% probability of success which is roughly in the middle of the probabilities of correct scores priced at 6 to 7. The fact you are only betting when there is perceived value in a correct score price relative to SAM's calculations might help to bring down any losing streaks a little, but as an example even if you're betting correct scores priced between 6 and 7 when they should be 5 you will still likely encounter a run of 30 losers or so. From that perspective, it's probably best to be cautious and factor in a losing run of 40 when deciding what bank percentage should be invested in each correct score bet. For correct scores priced 7 to 8, a losing streak of about 50 could occur and again that would need to be taken into account so that the right stake is used.

Edited by Torque