** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Daily Spread

Roma v Liverpool: Buy cross corners for 1 point at 28 (SPIN or SX)

Basically home corners multiplied by away corners so will need at least 11 (e.g. 5 x 6) to show a profit. I just think that's a low enough quote to get involved at; Roma have to go for it and Liverpool favour attack as the best form of defence. Anything can happen, including a nilling, but decent enough prospect of a high total.

I've also bought the hotshots for 1 point at 42 with SPIN (Dzeko, Schick, Salah and Firmino). 47 to buy elsewhere which is closer to my valuation of the true price. I know this is supposedly a 1 bet per day thread but I've previously bought two sets of hotshots in the same rugby game so this is a buy of cross corners and hotshots at a combined price of 70! :eek

2 losers last night, 7 points on corners and 17 on hotshots, but absolutely no regrets as I think both were sound bets. One more Liverpool corner would have seen the spread covered and, if you'd assured me in advance the game would have 6 goals, I'd have probably doubled my stake on the hotshots!

1904 points risked and 1673 returned, -231 points with an ROI of -12.13%

RB Salzburg v Marseille: Buy Marseille goal rush for 1 point at 13 with SPIN

It was either that or cross corners at 22 in the other semi final tonight, with this bet narrowly favoured. I fully recognise the risk of a total loss if the hosts keep a clean sheet but I think the chance of them failing to do so is quite high. Should the visitors score then you're looking at a 3 point loss at worst. After that, the more the merrier!

15 to buy elsewhere, which is only 2 points more on the one hand, but to me it makes a big difference. 5 points loss for 1 goal and 5 points profit for 2 goals is a lot less appealing than the 3 point loss v 7 point profit scenario I'm looking at.

Munster v Edinburgh: Buy Edinburgh hotshots for 1 point at 21 with SX (VD Merwe, Bennett, Fife, Kinghron)

Back on "no regrets" territory here; 1 try enough for a modest profit, price lower than I think it should be, risk spread across 4 players one of whom (VD Merwe) strikes me as a value anytime bet (see "Outside Chance" thread).

12 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

risk spread across 4 players one of whom (VD Merwe) strikes me as a value anytime bet (see "Outside Chance" thread).

Or don't! Sorry, I am on him anytime at 3.7 but it doesn't quite qualify as a pick for my other thread.

Swansea v Southampton: Buy bookings for 1 point at 50 with SPIN

Usual "anything can happen" stuff applies but, with everything at stake here, I can see 5 or more yellow cards as quite a likely outcome. Hopefully this "goes off big style", if you'll pardon the use of technical terminology! :)

Last night didn't pan out as hoped, back on slightly more secure footing tonight (risk spread across four players and more objective that subjective) with a hotshots buy.

Barcelona v Villareal: Buy hotshots for 1 point at 45 with SPIN (Messi, Coutinho, Bacca, Cheryshev)

A little light for me, 49-53 elsewhere with Paulinho instead of Coutinho, which should make much difference to the price.

West Ham v Man U: Buy Man U bookings for 1 point at 16 with SPIN

Averages just over 20 away from home this season, you'd have made a profit in 12 of their 18 games buying at this price (3 nillings, 3 x 6 point losses, 5 x 4 point profits and 7 profits of 14 or more points).

Leigh v Salford: Buy Leigh hotshots for 1 point at 43 with either firm (Hall, Dawson, Mata'utia, Owens)

I make these just short of 48 so perceived edge of over 10%; rare to get anything like that when both firms agree on a price. These are the classic "value" bets for me, with no ego or opinion involved, just simple number crunching. 4 players onside and a double digit edge. Some win, some lose, but I suspect I'd do better if I stuck more to these entirely objective bets.

Having said that, looking at the player stats does support the view that it's a decent bet.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:28 PM, harry_rag said:

Bulls v Sharks: Buy Lowe try minutes for 1 point at 14 with SX

Not sure what happened there but I managed to type the wrong player's name (there was no Lowe playing for either team). I was actually on Kotze at 14 who scored in the 54th minute. In the circumstances I'm taking the following view which seems the only sensible option. I'm not recording the bet as I can't claim the winner when I didn't post the right name but it can't be classed as a loser when there was no such player who could've been backed.

That means just one bet since the last update, the nilling on Leigh hotshots!

2131 points risked and 1822 returned, -309 points with an ROI of -14.5%

Fulham v Derby: Buy Derby corners squared for 1 point at 15 with SPIN

I approached this game with Fulham corners in mind given their need to come from behind in the tie but that seems to have been excessively factored into the prices. As a result, I think that the prices about Derby corners are a little generous. They may start the game not needing to attack too much but anything can happen over 90 minutes. Willing to take a chance on a bet that edges in front after the 4th away corner.

Marseille v A Madrid: Buy cross corners for 1 point at 22 with SX

Essentially one team's corners multiplied by the other's. Atletico could rack up loads if the game stays goalless till late on but I'll take a chance, one way or another, on the dynamics of the game being such that both teams gain enough corners to cover the spread.

Exeter v Lincoln: Buy Taylor's goal minutes for 1 point at 6 with SX

6-9 elsewhere so effectively a spread-free trade, SX go 6/1 anytime which, in itself, is a standout price but a buy at 6 is better than that. They're out on their own with their opinion on his value and I think they may be slightly wrong.

Montpellier v Lyon: Buy Lyon hotshots for 2.5 points at 16 with SX (Palisson, Regard, Mignot, Arnold)

You'd have to pay 20 elsewhere and there's no way I can get these 4 to be worth as little as 16. More than acceptable risk/reward here with 1 try showing an 9 point gain.

Change of approach in the staking here, I'm posting to stakes that match my real world actual stakes on the bets. (So far they've almost all been staked as 1 point with the occasional 2 pointer on a low risk bets or 10 points on total goals to reflect the lower volatility in that market). From now on, the stake reflects my actual bet, as simple as that.

Going to start using "TWW" as an ironic acronym for "that went well". Only one Lyon try and not from one of the shots.

2214 points risked and 1864 returned, -350 points with an ROI of -15.81%

For today's entertainment, another hotshots buy.

Racing 92 v Castres: Buying Racing hotshots for 2 points at 28 with SPIN (Imhoff, Vakatawa, Thomas, Dupichot)

32 to buy elsewhere which is closer to my valuation.