** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Euro 2020 Outright Ante-Post

• 10 months later...

The performances of Serbia thus far in the World Cup mean quotes of 150/1 are of interest to me at this early stage. Key players such as Milenkovic (22), Milojevic (29), Matcic (31), Kostic (27), Milinkovic-Savic (25), Tadic (31) and Mitrovic (25) should still be around the squad; infact only 5 of the current World Cup squad are currently aged over 30 so the vast majority of the squad will (barring injury) be available for selection in 2 years time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've added two more nations to my portfolio today; Denmark are overpriced at 100/1, they were sent off 125/1 for the World Cup after being drawn in a tough group alongside finalists France, Peru and Australia, they qualified from the group and were knocked out by anotehr finalist in Croatia on penalties. The bulk of their squad will still be around in 2 years time and crucially plenty of them (including star-man Christian Eriksen) will be in their peak playing years. Quotes of 100/1 are insulting to this current crop, I believe they should be no bigger than half of that price. My second addition is one from left field, Albania are interesting at 1,000/1. They have enough players dotted around major European leagues who will be in their peak playing years for me to rate them alot better than their current price suggests. Obviously they'll have to qualify but should they make he tournament finals (don't forget they qualified for Euro 2016) I can't see them being anywhere near the price they are currently, more likely to around the 200/1 mark.

Bet

0.5pts - Denmark to win Euro 2020 @ 100/1 with Bet365

0.25pts - Albania to win Euro 2020 @ 1,000/1 with Bet365

Already advised

0.5pts - Serbia to win Euro 2020 @ 150/1 with Bet365

• 8 months later...

I think Switzerland are overpriced at 50/1. Undefeated in their group at the WC and only went out 1-0 to Sweden in a game which could hardly be described as a classic. Their captain was suspended for it as well.

They’re narrow favourites to win their qualifying group ahead of Denmark, plus the Swiss play them at home first so three points could start some momentum to leave the Danish chasing them from the word go. They shouldn’t have too much trouble with Georgia and Gibralter...Ireland might cause problems but the Danes have to play them as well?

Their squad seems decent and age wise most players will be at their peak next year. They lack depth in midfield and don’t have a superstar striker which is probably why they’re priced so high. It’s only a seven game tournament per team plus the third team in each group can possibly go into the knock out round so I’d expect them to get through.

They thrashed Belgium 5-2 and annihilated Iceland 6-0 in the Nations League so there’s goals in the team.

50/1 won’t narrow much if/when they qualify but it’s worth an each way shout.

edit: Ranked 8th in world, 6th in Europe but joint 11th in bookies odds to win 2020

Edited by duckmaster

• 6 months later...

I'm back with my first update in over a year in this thread. The qualification phase is nearing the business end with a handful of nations already qualified, and it's one of said nations which appeal to me.

Italy are available at 16/1, given the nature of the tournament they will likely attain 3 home matches in the group stages, win the group and they will face a kind travel schedule in the knockout rounds with their last 16 match being in London, QF in Munich and a potential SF and F back in London, thus avoiding trips to the likes of Russia and Azerbaijan.

There have been 42 caps given out for Italian matches thus far this season, of those 42 caps, 69% of them have been to players plying their trade in either the Champions or Europa League. Similarly, 69% are deemed to be in either their peak or early peak years. 48% play in either the Champions/ Europa League and are also in their early peak/ peak years.

One more side worthy of a mention are Ukraine who are available at 100/1. They're on a decent run, drew in Portugal and beat Portugal in qualifying, a staggering 91% of their caps this season play in the Champions/ Europa League - granted the vast majority of those will be for Shakhtar or Dynamo but both those sides are competitive if not spectacular. The remaining 9% play in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe. Their age profile isn't brilliant admittedly with only 57% in their peak age range, but I definitely think they have the ability to upset a few teams and could be potential dark horses. 

Bet

1pt - Italy to win Euro 2020 @ 16/1 with PP or Betfair

0.5pts - Ukraine to win Euro 2020 @ 100/1 with Various

Already advised

0.5pts - Serbia to win Euro 2020 @ 150/1 with Bet365

0.5pts - Denmark to win Euro 2020 @ 100/1 with Bet365

0.25pts - Albania to win Euro 2020 @ 1,000/1 with Bet365

Edited by jazzman02

• 1 month later...