** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

US Open 2017

D.Schwartzman/M.Cilic - Over 3.5 sets at 1.80 with Paddy Power

Although I do fancy Cilic to go far in this event, I think that Schwartzman will be good for at least one set. He was in a great shape against both Berlocq and Tipsarevic, with the slowish courts suiting his style and possibly lessening the impact of the Croat's serve. Cilic isn't as one-dimensional as, say, Muller, and his power will allow him to prevail in many rallies, but it should be hard for him to keep the same intensity over three sets in a row. Schwartzman never gives up, always tries his hardest, and will keep this close imo. The set overs are probably better than the games overs, as it's hard to imagine this being a 7-6 7-6 7-6 affair. Something like 6-2 2-6 6-4 6-4 is definitely more probable.

Feliciano Lopez (+2.5 sets) to beat Roger Federer at 1.91 with Pinnacle

Federer to turn it on now that I'm betting against him? Well, it obviously can happen, but I think his current problems are so structural that they can't be sorted out overnight or even over two days. Like Youzhny and Tiafoe, Lopez should sense the opportunity and give it his all - and Federer should provide the rest to drop at least a set. If he was able to turn a 6-1 *5-4 cruise against Youzhny into a five-set battle, surely Lopez shouldn't be at 1.91 to win a set?

5 hours ago, CzechPunter said:

Feliciano Lopez (+2.5 sets) to beat Roger Federer at 1.91 with Pinnacle

Federer to turn it on now that I'm betting against him? Well, it obviously can happen, but I think his current problems are so structural that they can't be sorted out overnight or even over two days. Like Youzhny and Tiafoe, Lopez should sense the opportunity and give it his all - and Federer should provide the rest to drop at least a set. If he was able to turn a 6-1 *5-4 cruise against Youzhny into a five-set battle, surely Lopez shouldn't be at 1.91 to win a set?

I like the look of that bet, something definitely troubling Federer from what Ive seen of him so far. I'll follow you in on this one.

My selection for today

Roger Federer vs Feliciano Lopez

Over 35.5 games 4/5 paddy power

Lopez to win 7/2 paddy power

Over 3.5 sets 10/11 paddy power

Federer to win 3-2 7/1 paddy power

I fancy Federer to go to five sets again and it is at great odds as he has struggled in his previous two matches with both going to a final set so expect another tough match against his opponent who has had a great year and is playing some of his best tennis. And if Federer manages to get through then it will probably be four or five sets

More tennis selections for the US Open

Gael Monfils to win first quarter 9/2 paddy power

Dominic Thiem to win second quarter 7/1 paddy power

Sam Querrey to win third quarter 5/4 paddy power

Lucas Pouille to win fourth quarter 9/4 paddy power

Coco Wandeweghe to win first quarter 5/1 paddy power

Madison Keys to win second quarter 2/1 paddy power

Venus Williams to win third quarter 11/5 paddy power

Sloane Stephens to win fourth quarter 12/5 paddy power

Name the finalists

Rafael Nadal vs Sam Querrey 8/1 paddy power

Rafael Nadal vs Denis Shapovalov 9/1 paddy power

Rafael Nadal vs Lucas Pouille 7/1 paddy power

So we are halfway through the tournament and i think we will have surprise semi final line up as a few players have a chance of making their first appearance in a Grand slam semi final and reach their very first Grand slam final. So i fancy Querrey to win his quarter as he has reached a semi final before and Thiem who reached the semi finals of the French Open. Monfils and Pouille have a great chance as they love playing at the US Open. And Shapovalov is playing fantastic and he is capable of reaching the final

And in the womens draw it is wide open so Wandeweghe has a great chance especially as she is playing in front of her home crowd. Also it is the same with Venus and she is playing well so she has a chance against Muguruza. And Keys and Stephens could make it four Americans in the last four as Keys could face Svitolina who has not been that been impressive and Stephens could face Sharapova who has had some tough matches so she can be beaten in the quarters

Edited by owenclass

My two girls plodding away nicely in this comp, managed to get matched 250 for Safarova, and Sloane Stevens still in there. Kyrgios my only male back before comp up to his usual injury nonsense, has all the talent but just seems to struggle with injuries, you take your chances when backing him.

Well i think either Federer or Nadal will probably win the US Open. But there are some good outside bets that have got a great chance of winning this title

Juan Martin Del Potro to win the US Open 10/1 paddy power

Maria Sharapova to win the US Open 5/1 paddy power

Venus Williams to win the US Open 14/1 paddy power

These three players have all won a Grand slam and i think experience will come through in the end as the other players apart from Muguruza and Pliskova in womens draw and especially in mens draw as well have not reached many Grand slam semi finals

Edited by owenclass

Federer will probably only start match if he genuinely believes he can finish match, he has never retired from a match previously. So would assume if he play's he must feel he can finish the match, maybe some sort of discomfort that he feels he could deal with. Czech that draw you put at the start of thread very helpful, also your updates on who went through is impressive.

9 hours ago, dave5perth said:

Federer will probably only start match if he genuinely believes he can finish match, he has never retired from a match previously. So would assume if he play's he must feel he can finish the match, maybe some sort of discomfort that he feels he could deal with. Czech that draw you put at the start of thread very helpful, also your updates on who went through is impressive.

Not sure what you mean by those updates, the draws are being updated by the organisers, not me :).

Czech could you give me the link to the site which gives you these draws in tennis comp, very handy for other events with the quick updates....Didnt watch Federer this morning was to tired to stay up, backed 3-1 Federer as I thought like most with watching him in previous matches, didn't look like his normal self. Was this a good display from Federer, or he just done enough to get through to next round.

53 minutes ago, dave5perth said:

Czech could you give me the link to the site which gives you these draws in tennis comp, very handy for other events with the quick updates....Didnt watch Federer this morning was to tired to stay up, backed 3-1 Federer as I thought like most with watching him in previous matches, didn't look like his normal self. Was this a good display from Federer, or he just done enough to get through to next round.

Lopez was just poor, nothing more in it imo. The draw links are straight from the US Open main website, I don't think that there are any quickly-updated ones for normal events. Your best bet is the official ATP website (http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/tournaments), at least they have both main tournaments and Challengers.

9 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

Lopez was just poor, nothing more in it imo. The draw links are straight from the US Open main website, I don't think that there are any quickly-updated ones for normal events. Your best bet is the official ATP website (http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/tournaments), at least they have both main tournaments and Challengers.

Cheers, how do you see the Safarova v Vandeweghe match panning out? Just you boy's have a lot more knowledge about tennis than me, but I'm learning. Noticed Saforova is also having to play doubles also, so that's not so good regarding rest in between matches.

11 minutes ago, dave5perth said:

Cheers, how do you see the Safarova v Vandeweghe match panning out? Just you boy's have a lot more knowledge about tennis than me, but I'm learning. Noticed Saforova is also having to play doubles also, so that's not so good regarding rest in between matches.

Doubles don't matter all that much. I'm thinking about backing Vandeweghe, not decided yet though.

R.Federer/P.Kohlschreiber - Over 3.5 sets at 2.24 with 10Bet

It would be impossible for me to take this below the 2.00 mark, but I think that everything above that is pure value, as this has at least a 50% chance of coming in imo. Lopez couldn't do the trick against Federer, but that's because the Swiss number one was able to attack his weak backhand. Kohlschreiber is hitting a heavier ball than the Spaniard off both wings, so Federer shouldn't be able to rush the net all that often - and prolonged rallies aren't what he'll want imo. Kohli has been flying under the radar since the start of the tournament, but he's been surprisingly clinical in many stats and I think he'll be able to get something here. His problem - over his whole career really - has been his chokiness when finishing things off, but he's nearly always been able to deliver until the clutch moments like deciding sets, tie-breaks, etc.

1 hour ago, CzechPunter said:

R.Federer/P.Kohlschreiber - Over 3.5 sets at 2.24 with 10Bet

It would be impossible for me to take this below the 2.00 mark, but I think that everything above that is pure value, as this has at least a 50% chance of coming in imo. Lopez couldn't do the trick against Federer, but that's because the Swiss number one was able to attack his weak backhand. Kohlschreiber is hitting a heavier ball than the Spaniard off both wings, so Federer shouldn't be able to rush the net all that often - and prolonged rallies aren't what he'll want imo. Kohli has been flying under the radar since the start of the tournament, but he's been surprisingly clinical in many stats and I think he'll be able to get something here. His problem - over his whole career really - has been his chokiness when finishing things off, but he's nearly always been able to deliver until the clutch moments like deciding sets, tie-breaks, etc.

I like the look of your bet as Federer is still not back to his best even though he says he is not feeling the injury

My selections for today

David Goffin vs Andrey Rublev

Over 37.5 games 4/5 paddy power

Rublev to win 7/4 paddy power

It looks like Goffin is going to have a tough match here as he is opponent has been very impressive at this years US Open. Also he looks like a future Grand slam winner and will continue by taking Goffin to five sets as i think it will be long match

Rafael Nadal vs Alexandr Dolgopolov

Over 32.5 games 4/5 paddy power

Nadal to win 3-1 14/5 paddy power

Over 3.5 sets 11/10 paddy power

This is going to be tough for Nadal as he is facing a player who serves well and with power like his opponent in the previous round. I expect three tight sets and has a chance to lose a set here as i expect a few tie breaks which his opponent can win

Edited by owenclass

Watched the early match this morning Kvitova v Miguruza, excellent match, best so far with both playing well till Petra started ratcheting up the pressure 2nd set, making her make more errors. Alway's thought Muguruza was to short in the outright marker before this game @ 3, very low considering the matches she still had to play. Starting to get a little hooked on this tennis now.

Some bets for todays womens fourth round matches

Karolina Pliskova vs Jennifer Brady

Over 19.5 games 4/5 paddy power

Over 2.5 sets 11/5 paddy power

I have not been impressed with Pliskova in this tournament as she has had a few three set matches. I also think that being World number one has put more pressure on her as everyone would want to beat her from now on so i expect her to struggle against her talented opponent

Coco Wandeweghe vs Lucie Safarova

Over 22.5 games evens paddy power

Over 2.5 sets 5/4 paddy power

This is another match im looking forward to and it will be tough for Coco to beat her opponent as she is a tricky player who is a lefty and it is always tough to play against those sort of players so expect a tough first set

Edited by owenclass