** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Referee Wrong or Right?

btugero

For me, it's soft. I can see why the ref gave it. As a defender, I know that if I look to barge a player in the area when a ball is coming in like that then I'm playing a dangerous game. If I was a ref I'd be reluctant to give it because it looks like the player makes a meal of it. If I was the defender though, I wouldn't be surprised if it was given. Definitely intent to barge the player there. Most players would stand their ground but this player takes advantage and makes the most of it.

• StevieDay1983 changed the title to Referee Wrong or Right?
11 hours ago, only1woz said:

As an amateur referee I'd say no penalty. The ball is actually too high for the attacker to reach it, it's goig over his head whether he gets that slight nudge from behind or not.

I can see why he's given it, but it's not a pen for me.

Here's one for you mate. Kalas for Fulham on the weekend. Do you think a red was harsh? I'm still a bit mystified how he's sent the lad off.

Sorry mate I've been dead busy this week and actually forgot about this lol.

He's been sent off for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. His man is clean through on goal if he doesn't pull him down. There is a defender in the centre but I don't think he's going to get across so it's a definite red.

Now, obviously a yellow can be shown in these situations now, but thats only if the defender has made a genuine attempt for the ball, which is clearly not the case here as he's hauled him down and the ball is well away. Hope that clears it up for you

12 hours ago, only1woz said:

Yeah should have been red, but from the refs position he can't see thru the guy on the grounds body so he can't see the studs going in. Understand why he gave the yellow.

There is video assistant referee now, so if they did not say anything to the referee, I supposed they agree with referee decision?

One other question, when you say it should have been red card, you say it because the player in red have intention of doing that?

Thanks again @only1woz

They may be of the opinion that the referee seen the incident well enough to make his own decision, I'm not sure. When I'm being a linesman and I see an incident I think should be addressed then I need to think about whether the referee has seen the incident and just decided differently to me. That's important, because he is the man in the middle and we may not always agree, but it's ultimately his decision. If I feel he hasn't seen something and I have, then I definitely bring his attention to it. Maybe the same scenario with VAR?

As for the red, yes his intention is, in my opinion, to hurt the other player. In my opinion it's one of those situations where he uses the fact that the ball is there as an excuse so he can say "I went for the ball" but in my opinion he went to hurt him, so red for me. I think if the ref sees it from the other angle he probably agrees with me.

@only1woz, what about Mike Dean giving Raheem Sterling a second yellow card and a resulting red card for his celebration at Bournemouth? Yes, he was correct by the letter of the law but should common sense have been used... or was it actually used by Dean giving the reaction of the fans spilling onto the pitch?

On 08/25/2017 at 11:17 PM, Sir Puntalot said:

@only1woz - great insight, amateur referee or not. :ok 

Looking to go Pro? ;) 

Not looking to go pro mate, I'm too old for a start, and I get enough grief as it is just with the amateur lads lol.

As for sterling, I get what you're saying. I don't want you to take this the wrong way mate, but you're looking at it from a fans point of view. Unfortunately there is no "common sense" in this situation, he either was too exuberant in his celebrations or he wasn't. If Mike Dean didn't book him then it's almost certain that his assessor in the stand would have marked him down for it. Especially as it's actually a health and safety issue. Young kids can get hurt when the crowd surges forward in that situation. All the players know the rules so it's up to them to stay on the right side of the law. Mike Dean ultimately did his job fully so imho shouldn't be criticised for that, the player should.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a feeling this one might crop up on here today lol. Spent all day arguing with people on twitter about it.

Now, I'll start by saying that I haven't actually seen it yet, I'll watch it tonight, and I'll also point out that I'm a Liverpool fan.

From what I can see, and from descriptions of the incident, it should have been a yellow. It's a reckless challenge that endangered an opponent. The law states that serious foul play needs to be excessive force or brutality AND endangering an opponent. From what I'm told (and sir Puntalot reaffirms it) there isn't any malice from Manes challenge.

If I have a different opinion after seeing it later then I'll let you know, but from what I can tell it should have been yellow.

Funnily enough, in our game yesterday (local league, not Cardiff City), our keeper was sent off after half an hour. He rushed out, jumped up, got the ball first but absolutely clattered their on-rushing player. Ref sent our keeper off. He wasn't last man but was cited for dangerous play because he put his knees up. Our keeper explained he put his knees up because if he hadn't then their lad would have completely taken him out and risked serious injury to our keeper.

At the end of the game, the opposition told the ref they thought the red card was very harsh because our keeper got the ball first and never looked at their lad. Referee apologised, agreed he got it wrong, and didn't put the red in. We won the game 8-1 and were 4-1 up when it happened so it didn't impact on the game but annoying the ref sent him off anyway. Especially because moments earlier our player was pulled down from behind when through on goal in the area and ref gave nothing.