** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

How?

Hi BillyHills what I am trying to do is put a rating onto the class of the race say you have a for example you have a class 4 at Ayr and a Class 4 at Windsor, so what I want to try and do is include the course in the class of the race, say both are valued at £5000 which is the better, I would say Windsor because I believe Windsor to be the better of the courses, but how can I make that into a rating.

What I tend to do for handicaps is look at what rating of horse would be carrying 9 stone in this handicap ......... take no notice of jockeys allowances but beware 3yo allowances, 

so tomorrow for example there are class 4 handicaps as follows ......... weight of 4 year old and older 

Ayr 3.05 - 9 stone = 71

Ayr 4.40 - 9 stone = 65 

Bev 7.55 - 9 stone = 70

Wind 6.45 - 9 stone = 64

that would give a relative value to each of those class 4 races

2 hours ago, twmills said:

Hi Trotter Im a bit thick can you explain more as to how you got those figures

Yes, no problem

take the first race - Ayr 3.05

look at the Racing Post  or At The Races race card

you'll see Fast Act, a 5yo, carrying 9-12 and rated 83. So a horse that was set to carry 9 stone, ie 12 lb less, would be rated 71

Royal Brave,m 6yp, carrying 9-10 and rated 81. So a horse carrying 9 stone, ie 10 lb less, would be rated 71

Basically a older horse in this race and carrying 9 stone would be rated 71. So 71 is the value or class of this handicap

If you do the same for the Windsor 6.45 you'll find that's a '64' - so despite both being Class 4 handicaps you can 

So despite both being class 4 handicaps one of them is 7lbs better than the other

Of course there are lots of other factors .......... eg, does one of these races have improving horses and the other have horses on the way down ?...........I'm afraid that only comes with putting the study in

I think the beauty of my system is that you are rating each race rather than a course. For example Newmarket holds top class races but also a lot of run of the mill racing, particularly the evening cards. So if you're thinking a horse that ran at Newmarket must be better than one that ran at Beverley you can come unstuck because that particular Beverley race might have been a lot better than the particular Newmarket race

Ayr 3.05 - 9 stone = 71

Ayr 4.40 - 9 stone = 65 

Bev 7.55 - 9 stone = 70

Wind 6.45 - 9 stone = 64

Don't make this too complicated, the two top rated races above (Ayr 305 & Bev 7.55) are 0-85 Class 4 races

the other two are 0-80 Class 4 races, its as simple as that really.

3 hours ago, BillyHills said:

Don't make this too complicated, the two top rated races above (Ayr 305 & Bev 7.55) are 0-85 Class 4 races

the other two are 0-80 Class 4 races, its as simple as that really.

that's true but the beauty of my system is that it rates the race by the horses that actually run in it rather than by the race conditions

eg look at Royal Brave in that 3.05 at Ayr

last race - class 3, 0-90 at Ayr

previous race - class 4, 0-85 at Muss

but both those races were '76' on my scale ......... ie the same level despite different race entry conditions. 

Also it's handy if you're using the Post or ATR horse form just to quickly look down the horse's last few handicap races and you can very quickly work out the level of the race from the weight carried and OR

so Royal Brave's last few handicap races - 61, 71, 77, 76, 76 ..... today back to 71