** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Annoying "Shares" bar appearing

How do I stop the annoying "shares" thing appearing on the left hand side of the screen? (i.e. links to facebook, twitter etc.)

It's suddenly started appearing and if I clear it on one screen it pops up again as soon as I move forward or backward. It's literally of no use to me whatsoever and serves no purpose other that to irritate. I'd rather never see it at all but, at the very least, I'd expect it to stay cleared each visit once I've elected to get rid of it.

If it's an intentional "enhancement" I'd say it's a really bad idea.

14 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

How do I stop the annoying "shares" thing appearing on the left hand side of the screen? (i.e. links to facebook, twitter etc.)

It's suddenly started appearing and if I clear it on one screen it pops up again as soon as I move forward or backward. It's literally of no use to me whatsoever and serves no purpose other that to irritate. I'd rather never see it at all but, at the very least, I'd expect it to stay cleared each visit once I've elected to get rid of it.

If it's an intentional "enhancement" I'd say it's a really bad idea.

Hi Harry,

Appreciate the feedback, regardless of it being negative.

Why does it bother you? It's a very common thing to have on websites these days and gives visitors and members the chance to share anything on PL very easily and in a split second.

I'll ask our coder about it popping back once cleared though. :ok 

Cheers. Probably a bit of a "grumpy old man" thing! I dare say I'd get used to it but I'd rather not have to. If some people find it useful then fair enough to have it. An option to disable it in settings would be great. Failing that, not having to clear it off every screen would be a significant improvement. The bloody thing even reappeared as soon as I submitted the opening post, which really felt like it was flicking the v's at me! :)

It has the look and feel of someone sticking a bit of tape on my screen, right in my eyeline and putting it back every time I take it off. The way it appears in the app (across the bottom) is, while still a negative for me, certainly less intrusive. Bottom right would probably be less intrusive then middle left. 

Be interested in any other views, for and against. Maybe it's telling that no-one else has said anything yet!

Our shares total went up 800% when we put the mobile version active, so it would be detrimental to remove it as it can only help spread the word about PL.

I'll ask about moving it to bottom right, as that could be a good move actually.

Either way, the last thing I want is to annoy members/visitors but you're the only grumpy old man as yet! :lol 

As I do have latent Meldrew tendencies I'll just say "I don't believe it"!

Happy to leave it with you and what will be will be. I do think position is one thing (more or less where my eyes go to start reading, i.e. as we read from right to left) and persistence is the other. You almost might as well not offer the facility to clear it off if it's not going to take the hint!

Anyway, things can't be too bad if that's the only thing I've got to complain about. (Unless you can do something about the terrible results of the selections that I post.)

Just now, harry_rag said:

As I do have latent Meldrew tendencies I'll just say "I don't believe it"!

Happy to leave it with you and what will be will be. I do think position is one thing (more or less where my eyes go to start reading, i.e. as we read from right to left) and persistence is the other. You almost might as well not offer the facility to clear it off if it's not going to take the hint!

Anyway, things can't be too bad if that's the only thing I've got to complain about. (Unless you can do something about the terrible results of the selections that I post.)

If you're reading right to left, I'd definitely see the doctor about that! :eek  (Assume you mean left to right) ;) 

We'll play about with it, but I quite like the suggestions of bottom right actually. :ok 

As for your tips, may the force be with you! ;) 

:$ I better shut up if I can't tell my right from my left!

Yes, left to right. I was somehow viewing the orientation from the point of view of the screen (as in enter stage right) rather than the audience, if that makes the slightest bit of sense!

Anyway, time for a beer I think, but thanks for the responses. :ok

Forum Tab, near top of page not working properly on Racing (???).

Here goes:

1. Mouse on Forum.

2. Mouse on Racing

There's nothing to the right. I'd expect at least "Nap of the Day" and "At the Races".

If it makes any difference, I'm using Win 7 32 bit + Firefox.

[Just noticed NotD is in competitions, but there would be no harm in including it in Racing as well.]

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Snoopdog said:

Forum Tab, near top of page not working properly on Racing (???).

Here goes:

1. Mouse on Forum.

2. Mouse on Racing

There's nothing to the right. I'd expect at least "Nap of the Day" and "At the Races".

If it makes any difference, I'm using Win 7 32 bit + Firefox.

[Just noticed NotD is in competitions, but there would be no harm in including it in Racing as well.]

Thanks.

Thanks. That will be fixed by tomorrow. :ok 

I'm a grumpy old sod as well and I don't like those social media buttons constantly appearing

I went to the trouble of finding a way to disable it but unfortunately each disable only lasted until you closed your browser .......... it was back again on re-opening

If a way could be found to make it permanent per visit rather than per page to slide it away by clicking on the two little arrows that would be great !

well .......... the social media tabs are still sliding in from the left every time you change page and clicking the little arrows only slides it back until you move on to the next page then in it comes again !

so it's still working the same as it was before .........

• 4 months later...

The 48 hour fix for the annoying slidey thing doesn't appear to working today !

If it can't be taken away could it made permanently there ......... OK it's annoying of itself but the really annoying thing is that it slides in and out and catches your eye and distracts you from the page

If it didn't move at least you could ignore it.............

• 9 months later...
On 7/17/2017 at 10:35 PM, Sir Puntalot said:

Our coder is trying to adapt the share bar with a cookie, so that once you click it away, it will hide for 48 hours. :ok 

Unless I'm mistaken (as I often am) this seems to have been working by and large until today, when the pesky blighter won't take being told to bugger off! Has the cookie suddenly crumbled or have I just been imagining this happening form months?

7 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

Unless I'm mistaken (as I often am) this seems to have been working by and large until today, when the pesky blighter won't take being told to bugger off! Has the cookie suddenly crumbled or have I just been imagining this happening form months?

I never hide it, so it's hard to tell if there's an issue. I'd clear your cookies and do it again, as browsers often get clogged up.

It's here to stay though with over 1000 shares per month across PL. ;)

Not sure what I'm doing but I haven't seen the slidey thing at all for a few months

I assumed you'd just stopped using it or abandoned it

Don't know what I did …….. I didn't do anything consciously …. it just disappeared one day and never came back. That was a few months ago.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:53 PM, Trotter said:

Not sure what I'm doing but I haven't seen the slidey thing at all for a few months

I assumed you'd just stopped using it or abandoned it

Don't know what I did …….. I didn't do anything consciously …. it just disappeared one day and never came back. That was a few months ago.

What did you do to the poor share bar @Trotter - I just got an automated email from it this morning threatening a lawsuit against you! ;) I'll try to talk it around though, but you owe me one...