** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2017/18 1st Round Qualifying > Jun 27th

uclodds.jpg

Can you believe that the 2017/18 Champions League competition starts next Tuesday?! Unbelievable!

Anyway, only five 1st leg fixtures over the course of the week. Speaking as a semi-expert on Welsh football, I can say that TNS should come through this game with relative ease against Gibraltar side Europa FC. One thing to be wary of with TNS is that they are starting this season without influential manager Craig Harrison. He has moved on to Hartlepool. So it will be interesting to see how they do.

Interested to hear some views on the early stages of the competition. Particularly from punters who live in the nations of those teams competing.

• StevieDay1983 changed the title to 2017/18 1st Round Qualifying > Jun 27th

The bet of the round for me looks to be Linfield to win at home to La Fiorita at 1/5. I would have expected the odds for this to be around the 1/10 mark. Granted, Linfield aren't the strongest side, but they are playing arguably the weakest team in the competition - La Fiorita have played in European competitions for five consecutive seasons now and have lost all 10 games in that time including a 7-0 defeat to Levadia of Estonia and a 10-1 aggregate defeat to Vaduz of Liechtenstein. Looking at the wider picture, since gaining admission into European club competitions in 2000, Sammarinese sides have lost 33 of 34 away games in European competitions, the sole exception being Tre Fiori's draw with Andorran outfit Sant Julia in 2009. Obviously, results from 15 years ago are not going to have a bearing on next Wednesday's game, but it is clear to see that Sammarinese teams are out of their depth at this level, and as such La Fiorita's 100% losing record in Europe looks set to continue on Wednesday.

Would you be tempted to back Linfield at -1 or even -2 at home against La Florita? The way Celtic are talking it appears they believe a match-up with Linfield is inevitable. I can see a two goal win at home at least and then maybe a narrow win away.

Alashkert Martuni v FC Santa Coloma

Alashkert Martuni (last season): Nranyan (6/1 f), Manasyan (27/13 f, top scorer) (both suspended), Grigoryan (26/1 f)

FC Santa Coloma (last season UCL Qualifications): Iban Parra (1/0 f, suspended), Gabi Riera (f, newcomer), Víctor Rodríguez (2/0 m, doubtful)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

I think Linfield will probably cover the -1 handicap, but I'm playing it safe with the straight win. In the last three years the Sammarinese champions have only lost by one goal in the first legs of their ties at this stage of the competition, although in all cases the narrow margin of the defeats flattered them by all accounts - I remember keeping track of the Pyunik-Folgore game in 2015 when Pyunik had five attempts on goal in the first ten minutes and racked up 26 efforts on goal to Folgore's 3 in the game yet only won 2-1.

Unfortunately the odds on the home win are going down across the board, but even 1/7 is a fairly decent price considering La Fiorita's record as well as that of Sammarinese teams away from home in Europe.

I am tempted to go with TNS  -1.5ah. Usually strong at home and usually pass first round easy. Harrison departed but long term captain and after that Harrison assistant Scot Ruscoe took over. Crew is almost the same like last year. Saints added two new players  Blaine Hudson and Tom Holland and both can take part in this match. Standard LB Merriot is out. Home team played few frendlies,playing draw with Eangers and losing to St. Johnstone 3 0, despite creating numerous chances. Speaking about match, Ruscoe said they will attack from first minute.
Dont know anything about Europa but if Saints be on their best i have no doubts they will win this.

For this round, I'll just have a small bet on Europa to qualify at 3.80 (think there are bigger odds). I have no idea about TNS but in this round almost all the teams have the same level I'd say with the exception of San Marino Andorra and Armenia. So i'll bet on Europa as speculation/fun bet, i think bookies find it difficult to price these matches as there's almost no way to compare these teams. Also players from gibraltar teams are usually third division spanish players that go on a loan for a season and i reckon they have a decent level for this round. I can't have a welsh team to qualify at 1.2-1.3....

1.5 unit on Europa to qualify at 3.80

On 6/27/2017 at 8:45 AM, MightyWell said:

I think Linfield will probably cover the -1 handicap, but I'm playing it safe with the straight win. In the last three years the Sammarinese champions have only lost by one goal in the first legs of their ties at this stage of the competition, although in all cases the narrow margin of the defeats flattered them by all accounts - I remember keeping track of the Pyunik-Folgore game in 2015 when Pyunik had five attempts on goal in the first ten minutes and racked up 26 efforts on goal to Folgore's 3 in the game yet only won 2-1.

Unfortunately the odds on the home win are going down across the board, but even 1/7 is a fairly decent price considering La Fiorita's record as well as that of Sammarinese teams away from home in Europe.

Perhaps the value could be in backing La Fiorita on the handicap? A number of bookies are offering around evens (2.0) for La Fiorita +2.5