** February Poker League Result : 1st andybell666, 2nd rosco, 3rd Like2Fish **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st mickyftm32, 2nd Tiffy, 3rd Cauncie, 4th Alley Cat Glover, 5th Larkin22 **
Attention, PL Members! To reinforce security on the forum, we have updated our login process. Please note that you will now need to use your email address to sign in, rather than your forum username. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Festival Fever

Royal Ascot - Day 1

Throughout the season I'll try and keep this thread updated with my bets for the big summer festivals and also a running total to track any profit or loss. First off we have the Tuesday at Royal Ascot which is one of the best days racing around and with several firms offering enhanced places it's worth having a couple of bets.

Ribchester looks tough to beat in the Queen Anne but is a short enough price as a free going horse drawn wide. I can't see Lightning Spear reversing the form but Mutakayyef improved markedly last year culminating in some excellent placed efforts at York behind Postponed where he was slightly hampered and also at Woodbine. He's still relatively lightly raced and looks a good each way bet at the prices with the rest of the field looking distinctly ordinary.

The Coventry looks a tough race to solve and I have no strong opinion. Similarly in the King's Stand I won't have a bet as I have 2 ante post bets running in Signs Of Blessing and Cotai Glory. The St. James's Palace Stakes sees an interesting match up between the 2000 Guineas first and second. Barney Roy didn't seem to take with Newmarket that day struggling with the undulations and should be more at home here at Ascot. He is also lightly raced and is open to more improvement than Churchill. That being said the Ballydoyle raider is tough horse that always seems to find more when required and is a deservedly short priced favourite. However with little other competition to these two I can't resist an each way bet on Barney Roy who looks good value to finish in the first 3.

It's hard not to love big field Ascot handicaps and the Ascot Stakes looks an intriguing contest with the top jumps trainers switching codes to have a shot at this big prize. Several look like they have chances but Thomas Hobson looks the most likely winner here for me and is a solid bet at the prices. Irish horses have an outstanding record in British flat handicaps over a mile or further winning 47 times to the 27 expected when you calculate their chance of winning using Betfair SP since 2012.

Finally we finish with the Windsor Castle Stakes over the minimum distance. From what I have seen from Wesley Ward's 2 year olds over here they are all extremely quick but don't stay further than the 5f trip. We saw Lady Aurelia struggle to hold on over 6f in France before getting beaten in the Cheveley Park and like her Acapulco also look all speed as a 2 year old. This is actually backed up in the data albeit over a small sample as Ward doesn't have a single 2 year old winner in Britain over 6f with 1.57 expected. However with 2 year olds in 5f sprints he has a spectacular record with 8 actual wins against 4.3 expected. Although Coolmore's expensive purchase Declarationofpeace has attracted support today, he might just find the Ward 2 year olds a little too precocious and with the latter's record I'll be backing both of his.

2.30 - Mutakayyef 1pt e/w @ 13/2 Bet365 (3 places, 1/4 odds)

4.20 - Barney Roy 1pt e/w @ 5/2 Bet365 (3 places, 1/4 odds)

5.00 - Thomas Hobson 2pts e/w @ 6/1 Bet365 (4 places, 1/4 odds)

5.35 - Nootka Sound 4pts @ 5/1 Betfair

5.35 - Elizabeth Darcy 4pts @ 11/1 Betfair

4 minutes ago, arsenalfh said:

Royal Ascot - Day 1

Throughout the season I'll try and keep this thread updated with my bets for the big summer festivals and also a running total to track any profit or loss. First off we have the Tuesday at Royal Ascot which is one of the best days racing around and with several firms offering enhanced places it's worth having a couple of bets.

Ribchester looks tough to beat in the Queen Anne but is a short enough price as a free going horse drawn wide. I can't see Lightning Spear reversing the form but Mutakayyef improved markedly last year culminating in some excellent placed efforts at York behind Postponed where he was slightly hampered and also at Woodbine. He's still relatively lightly raced and looks a good each way bet at the prices with the rest of the field looking distinctly ordinary.

The Coventry looks a tough race to solve and I have no strong opinion. Similarly in the King's Stand I won't have a bet as I have 2 ante post bets running in Signs Of Blessing and Cotai Glory. The St. James's Palace Stakes sees an interesting match up between the 2000 Guineas first and second. Barney Roy didn't seem to take with Newmarket that day struggling with the undulations and should be more at home here at Ascot. He is also lightly raced and is open to more improvement than Churchill. That being said the Ballydoyle raider is tough horse that always seems to find more when required and is a deservedly short priced favourite. However with little other competition to these two I can't resist an each way bet on Barney Roy who looks good value to finish in the first 3.

It's hard not to love big field Ascot handicaps and the Ascot Stakes looks an intriguing contest with the top jumps trainers switching codes to have a shot at this big prize. Several look like they have chances but Thomas Hobson looks the most likely winner here for me and is a solid bet at the prices. Irish horses have an outstanding record in British flat handicaps over a mile or further winning 47 times to the 27 expected when you calculate their chance of winning using Betfair SP since 2012.

Finally we finish with the Windsor Castle Stakes over the minimum distance. From what I have seen from Wesley Ward's 2 year olds over here they are all extremely quick but don't stay further than the 5f trip. We saw Lady Aurelia struggle to hold on over 6f in France before getting beaten in the Cheveley Park and like her Acapulco also look all speed as a 2 year old. This is actually backed up in the data albeit over a small sample as Ward doesn't have a single 2 year old winner in Britain over 6f with 1.57 expected. However with 2 year olds in 5f sprints he has a spectacular record with 8 actual wins against 4.3 expected. Although Coolmore's expensive purchase Declarationofpeace has attracted support today, he might just find the Ward 2 year olds a little too precocious and with the latter's record I'll be backing both of his.

2.30 - Mutakayyef 1pt e/w @ 13/2 Bet365 (3 places, 1/4 odds)

4.20 - Barney Roy 1pt e/w @ 5/2 Bet365 (3 places, 1/4 odds)

5.00 - Thomas Hobson 2pts e/w @ 6/1 Bet365 (4 places, 1/4 odds)

5.35 - Nootka Sound 4pts @ 5/1 Betfair

5.35 - Elizabeth Darcy 4pts @ 11/1 Betfair

Great post. :ok 

Royal Ascot - Day 2

Decent start yesterday and we begin with a strong looking Jersey Stakes on the Wednesday. Le Brivido is a strong favourite as he was just touched off in the Poulains when worn down by subsequent Prix du Jockey Club winner Brametot in the closing stages. Dream Castle and Daban represent the English Classic form and the latter shaped like this drop in trip will suit. However the loss of Silvestre de Sousa is a negative in this case who rode him in the Guineas and is who I believe the best jockey around. Not sure about the strength of the 1000 Guineas but Daban also deserves respect nonetheless.

Like yesterday it's worth focusing on place bets with several firms offering enhancements on each-way bets and I think Escobar could go well at a price. He didn't seem to want to go past the winner of the Heron Stakes the last day but he's lightly raced and was a coltish 2 year old last year so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of doubt and put it down to inexperience. The stiff mile at Sandown may not have been in his favour either and Ryan Moore was able to dictate from the front on the winner so he had to overcome several negatives that day too. The stiff 7f on really fast ground should be right up his street and Escobar looks a good each-way bet at the prices.

In the Queen Mary the home challenge looks rather weak with a Brighton maiden winner the favourite to take on the American filly and Treasuring who Lyons described as "never perceived her being good enough to partake at this level" the leader of the Irish challenge. I mentioned Ward's record with 2 year olds over 5f yesterday and although his pair were a little disappointing the numbers stand at 4.55 expected wins to 8 actual wins. In a weak looking contest it's worth keeping faith with the short priced Happy Like A Fool.

The next two races look tough and hard to get a handle on. Qemah has questions to answer after a poor reappearance at Lingfield while Smart Call and Usherette look priced right although there are some doubts about the ground for the latter. In the feature race Highland Reel is a worthy favourite but again he seems to relish the stamina test over 1m 4f so dropping in trip is a little concerning. But again it's hard to make a confident selection against him as the really fast ground is a bit of a worry for a big horse like Jack Hobbs and Ulysses needs to step up again. Place claims can be made for most of the others so I will keep the powder for the concluding handicaps.

I'll follow a similar theme in these handicaps all week. I noted the record of Irish horses yesterday and Thomas Hobson duly obliged when bolting up in the Ascot Stakes. Elleval runs here in the Royal Hunt Cup for David Marnane and a stiff, well run mile on fast ground should be ideal for him. He hasn't met these conditions in a long time but showed he is in good heart when running free beaten just 2 lengths in a handicap at Cork 2 starts back and I think he's a cracking bet at the prices. The record for Irish trained horses in British handicaps over a mile or further now stands at 27.05 expected with 48 actual wins.

Finally in the Sandringham Handicap we have a few Irish contenders. I'll scratch Asking as Ana O'Brien takes the ride and she's 0 wins from 56 runs in races classed 1 or 2 on prize money. I get the feeling if Asking had a real chance Heffernan or Donnacha would take the ride as the second and third string jockeys and I think Ana O'Brien really just gets the rides on runners with little chance looking at her record. I would take her booking as a negative but there are 3 others to focus on. Rain Goddess has a good chance for Ryan Moore and is progressing well run from run. The stiff straight mile should be ideal and she has a good chance here. Drumfad Bay has been running good races in stakes company and now in handicaps up in trip over a mile we could see the best of him. Finally Bean Fheasa for Jim Bolger should run well on this firm ground. His overall profile is patchy but on his sole run on good to firm he won a Group 3 at Leopardstown fairly comfortably and that bodes well for him in these conditions.

2.30 Ascot - Escobar 1pt e/w @ 25/1 Bet365

3.05 Ascot - Happy Like A Fool 4pts @ 11/10 Betfred

5.00 Ascot - Elleval 2pts e/w @ 66/1 Betvictor (5 places, 1/4 odds)

5.35 Ascot - Rain Goddess 2pts e/w @ 10/1 Bet365 (5 places,1/4 odds)

5.35 Ascot - Drumfad Bay 2pts e/w @ 16/1 Bet365 (5 places,1/4 odds)

5.35 Ascot - Bean Fheasa 2pts e/w @ 18/1 Bet365 (5 places,1/4 odds)

Edited by arsenalfh

Have to say I'm a bit concerned about the stand side bias for a few of my selections in the handicaps. Going stick from this morning reads: 8.7: stand 8.5: centre and 8.4 far side. Elleval in 3, Bean Fheasa in 1 and Drumfad Bay in 9 although Rain Goddess has a nice draw. Hopefully the jockeys are aware of this and tack across.

How hard can it be to water evenly across the track? The track was very fair yesterday but it's all changed since they added 5mm of water overnight.

Frustrating day with Rain Goddess being touched off in the last by a Spencer masterclass. I forgot how well he rode the Ascot straight course and the stats back this up.

Thought Elleval ran well from a bad draw and is one to keep an eye on in the future over a stiff mile on fast ground. No luck with the Ward two year olds but he's got another interesting contender tomorrow.

Bets: 11

Profit: -12.05

Royal Ascot - Day 3

As I have the entire week I'll be sticking with the Ward 2 year old in the opening Norfolk Stakes. McErin was beaten the last day but broke a bit slowly and had to use up valuable energy to get to the front.  He should be able to get to the front here as European horses aren't so quick from stalls and although he's been running on dirt he has reportedly taken really well to grass. As I alluded to above, Spencer has an exceptional record on the straight course at Ascot but unfortunately I've only dug out the stats now. He's incredibly has 34 wins to 21 expected and is clearly a massive upgrade to any horses chances on the straight course as his style of riding just suits so well. He rides Rock Of Estonia who cost 90,000gns and although unbeaten, has only won two minor events. That being said he is capable of better especially with Spencer on board and is worth an each-way bet with firms going 4 places.

The following two races are no bets for me although I thought Benbatl shaped well in the Derby on his last start. He was given a poor ride from Oisin Murphy but he's jocked up again and is a bit shorter than I would like. He might have been interesting if someone like De Sousa took over. The Ribblesdale doesn't look a great renewal and with several in with chances I'll leave that race alone too.

I'm happy to take on Order Of St George with an each-way selection in the Gold Cup. He's the class act here and will take a lot of beating but he can be a bit ungenuine so looks worth taking on. Big Orange and Simple Verse have shown their best form over 1m 4f and 1m 6f so may not be guaranteed stayers over this marathon trip. I've gone for Sweet Selection who won the Cesarewitch on his final start last year and a Group 3 on his reappearance this time around. He's clearly improving, will stay the trip and loves fast ground so should run well at the prices.

There seemed to be a bias towards the stands side but it's impossible to know whether the same will occur tomorrow and you're better off forgetting about the draw when betting the night before. It's almost as if they forgot to water the near side and the opposite could easily happen tomorrow. Real amateur stuff on the big stage. Not going to run through the stats again as they're their to see in previous posts but I'll be backing the Irish horses in the Britannia and King George V. Both Lightening Fast and Moritzburg are unexposed and open to plenty of improvement looking worthy of an each-way play. Finally in the last race two Ballydoyle runners look worthy of attention and carry similar profiles to today's Sandringham second place. Another to consider is outsider of the field Twin Star who comes over representing the Lavery yard who do really well in handicaps.

2.30 Ascot: McErin 4pts @ 5/1 Betfair

2.30 Ascot: Rock Of Estonia 2pts e/w @ 40/1 Coral (4 places, 1/5 odds)

4.20 Ascot: Sweet Selection 1pt e/w @ 16/1 Bet365 (3 places, 1/4 odds)

5.00 Ascot: Lightening Fast 2pts e/w @ 20/1 Betvictor (5 places, 1/4 odds)

5.00 Ascot: Moritzburg 2pts e/w @ 40/1 Betvictor (5 places, 1/4 odds)

5.35 Ascot: Homesman 2pts e/w @ 14/1 William Hill (4 places, 1/4 odds)

5.35 Ascot: Utah 2pts e/w @ 16/1 Coral (4 places, 1/4 odds)

5.35 Ascot: Twin Star 2pts e/w @ 40/1 Ladbrokes (4 places, 1/4 odds)

1 hour ago, corky said:

love this, arsenalfh, good luck, will watch with interest, even tho im on the nose better

I usually bet on the nose but a lot of my bets here will be each-way because the bookies will be offering enhanced places and the handicaps will have 4 places at least as well. This puts massive value on the place part of the bet in a lot of cases.

I like this statistical approach too. I used it in maiden races backing trainers that had good records with newcomers last year and it worked really well. I did well enough from my own judgement in handicaps last year but my profit in those was nearly wiped out by my bets in pattern races strangely enough.

This season I'm almost betting exclusively through statistical angles. My 4pt bets here are backed by these angles while the 2pt bets are my own judgement.

Royal Ascot - Day 3

Just another update for later. The going stick reads - stand: 9.1, centre: 8.6, far: 9.0 and going by the first race the track looks fair although no one went down the middle.

I mentioned Jamie Spencer's record on the straight course yesterday and he's just picked up the ride on Bless Him in the Britannia later over the straight mile. He's 35 actual wins to 21 expected given the odds of the horses he's ridden and is clearly a massive positive to any horse's chance on the straight course. He shaped as if the mile would suit last time despite running keen through inexperience and the bigger field may help him settle better. With Spencer jocked up he's worth a bet at the prices.

5.00 Ascot - Bless Him 2pts e/w @ 50/1 Sportingbet

4 hours ago, arsenalfh said:

Royal Ascot - Day 3

Just another update for later. The going stick reads - stand: 9.1, centre: 8.6, far: 9.0 and going by the first race the track looks fair although no one went down the middle.

I mentioned Jamie Spencer's record on the straight course yesterday and he's just picked up the ride on Bless Him in the Britannia later over the straight mile. He's 35 actual wins to 21 expected given the odds of the horses he's ridden and is clearly a massive positive to any horse's chance on the straight course. He shaped as if the mile would suit last time despite running keen through inexperience and the bigger field may help him settle better. With Spencer jocked up he's worth a bet at the prices.

Great post :ok

9 hours ago, arsenalfh said:

Royal Ascot - Day 3

brilliant mate, seen simcocks interview on the 1000 oclock show, he spoke well, and i still didnt back it... well done ,great tippin:notworthy

11 hours ago, arsenalfh said:

Royal Ascot - Day 3

Cheers lads, always nice to share a big winner. I was actually on the train heading into work so couldn't see much on a bad quality stream and really didn't have a clue what was going on especially as the Bet365 app had him down with a black cap. I basically followed a horse with red silks and a black cap that was tailed off and thought I had done my money before the commentator screamed his name when he hit the front a furlong out. Made it all the more sweeter in a way.

Not looking likely I'll have much for tomorrow at Ascot but i'll have a look through the card and see if I can pick anything out.

Bets: 19

Profit: +86.95pts

Royal Ascot - Day 3

Again it looks like we may have the ludicrous stand side bias on the straight course after watering overnight. The going stick reads - stand: 9.0, centre: 8.3 and far side: 8.6. The stand side reading is pretty much the same as yesterday yet the far side has gone down 0.4 so it's almost as if the clerk didn't water the stand's side. Really amateur stuff going on at what is meant to be the premier horse racing festival in the world.

With that in mind and all the principles in the Albany drawn low I think it's worth taking them on each-way with Bet365 going 4 places. Actress was highly rated but has firmly been put in her place by favourite Alpha Centauri twice already. However as we've seen so often already this meeting seemingly exposed O'Brien runners just keep improving as witnessed with 66/1 shot Spirit of Valour in the Jersey and also Taj Mahal yesterday. She's slowly been improving and if she's on the right side of the track might just out run her price.

Although Caravaggio looks tough to beat in the Commonwealth Cup and both Harry Angel and Blue Point solid bets to follow her home; it's worth taking a look at Spencer's mount at triple figure odds to run a mighty race. He already has two wins on the straight course at big odds this year and like I said yesterday is a big positive to any of his mounts chances.Visionary has been progressive this year and won last time out on soft going, ground I'm sure wouldn't have suited. Running on a fast surface today should bring out more improvement and with the booking of Spencer he should run well.

Finally in the Duke Of Edinburgh Stakes over 1m 4f Top Tug should run well at the prices. Alan King has a very good record in these events with 52 wins to 43 expected and his runner was an impressive winner last time out. If he can build on that again he's sure to run a good race.

2.30 Ascot - Actress 1pt e/w @ 40/1 Bet365 (4 places, 1/4 odds)

3.40 Ascot - Visionary 2pts e/w @ 100/1 Bet365 (3 places, 1/4 odds)

5.35 Ascot - Top Tug 2pts e/w @ 16/1 Stan James (4 places, 1/4 odds)

Royal Ascot - Day 5

Final day of a great festival bar the issues with the ground on certain parts of the straight course. Kicking off with the Chesham the favourite September looks hard to beat. I was at Leopardstown the day she made her debut and she could not have been more impressive. However at the prices I like Highlight Reel who is sure to come on considerably for the run coming from the Michael Bell yard. He's 28 expected wins to 32 actual wins with 2 year olds on their second run and the booking of Spencer is a massive positive so I'll chance him each-way.

The Hardwicke is a tough puzzle to solve. Dartmouth may not like the ground but Ryan Moore has chosen him over Idaho while Wings Of Desire has some real top class form but has been absent for a long time after a disappointing effort in the Juddmonte which is a concern. With that in mind Dal Harraild looks worth a shot as an improving sort who has proven himself this season but I'm not confident enough to put him up as a selection at 8/1.

Limato will be hard to beat in the Diamond Jubliee Stakes back on his favoured fast ground but I definitely think Acclaim is worth a bet at the prices. He was very progressive as a 3 year old and as a sprinter he could easily improve further with age. I was impressed with his beating of Lumiere at Newmarket on his last start last season and although he was disappointing in the Lockinge he probably found the mile on soft ground a bit too much of a test. He drops back a full 2f here and might be a 7f horse but this trip at Ascot is as stiff as it gets. In a likely strongly run affair he's worth a shot at sprint trips and the booking of Spencer is a massive positive to his chances again.

Backing Spencer rides is going to be the theme of the day for me and I like the look of Buckstay in the Wokingham. He's a rock solid horse who loves it here at Ascot and was 5th in this last year off a 1lb higher mark. He might be underestimated here off a break as he loves going fresh and looks a good each-way bet. Another one to consider is Lancelot Du Lac for Dean Ivory who has an excellent record in sprint handicaps. He has 54 actual wins to 40 expected and Lancelot Du Lac runs here 2lbs lower than when 3rd in this in 2015 on similar fast ground.

2.30 Ascot - Highlight Reel 2pts e/w @ 50/1 Bet365 (3 places, 1/4 odds)

4.20 Ascot - Acclaim 2pts e/w @ 33/1 Bet365 (4 places, 1/4 odds)

5.00 Ascot - Buckstay 2pts e/w @ 20/1 Bet365 (5 places, 1/4 odds)

5.00 Ascot - Lancelot Du Lac 2pts e/w @ 40/1 Bet365 (5 places, 1/4 odds)

• 2 weeks later...

Newmarket July Festival - Day 3

Don't think the Diamond Jubilee was the strongest race so giving 6lbs to the 3 year olds makes it tough for them. Although Limato looked unbeatable over a stiff 6f last year he hasn't been running to the same level this time around although he's only had two runs this season.

The Commonwealth Cup seemed to be a good race with several progressive types and Caravaggio ran out the winner that day. However on sectionals Harry Angel should have gotten closer to him and Cox has a great record in Group races for horses 3 years of age and older with 31 expected winners to 44 actual winners. This suggests he has more improvement in him and he looks too big compared to Caravaggio in the betting.

With Bet365 going 1/4 odds it's worth taking him each-way against a solid favourite.

4.35 Newmarket - Harry Angel e/w @ 6/1 Bet365

20 hours ago, arsenalfh said:

Newmarket July Festival - Day 3

Don't think the Diamond Jubilee was the strongest race so giving 6lbs to the 3 year olds makes it tough for them. Although Limato looked unbeatable over a stiff 6f last year he hasn't been running to the same level this time around although he's only had two runs this season.

The Commonwealth Cup seemed to be a good race with several progressive types and Caravaggio ran out the winner that day. However on sectionals Harry Angel should have gotten closer to him and Cox has a great record in Group races for horses 3 years of age and older with 31 expected winners to 44 actual winners. This suggests he has more improvement in him and he looks too big compared to Caravaggio in the betting.

With Bet365 going 1/4 odds it's worth taking him each-way against a solid favourite.

4.35 Newmarket - Harry Angel e/w @ 6/1 Bet365

Big win for Godolphin taking down an unbeaten Coolmore colt. Harry Angel certainly did that very nicely and shouldn't be inconvenienced by a drop to 5f.

Bets: 27

Profit: +85.95pts

Edited by arsenalfh

Killarney July Festival - Day 2

Have a few statistical fancies at the picturesque Killarney racecourse this evening. It's a mixed card with the flat kicking things off before a Grade B handicap chase later on.

Billy Lee is probably the best jockey on these shores and he has a terrific record when taking over rides from other jockeys. When using Betfair starting prices he's notched up 128 expected wins under these circumstances but incredibly has 164 actual wins. Lee rides the light raced Cristal Icon here who has ran ok on both his starts in handicaps and looks sure to improve up in trip. He's down to 55 now and looks to have a decent shot with Lee taking the reigns.

Another to consider in the same race is Stack's Aldawayfornothing who runs first time in a handicap. Both father and son have a really good record in handicaps with 78 actual wins to 59 expected. The son Fozzy, also has hit the ground running with horses of this profile winning 2 from 6 runners first time in handicaps this season.

The next race is a Grade B handicap chase and De Bromhead runs 3. He does really well in summer handicap chases taking advantage while Mullins and Elliott keep their powder dry for the winter months but more interestingly is his record when running 2+ horses in a handicap chase. He has more than double the actual winners to expected (15 against 7) under these circumstances and appears to run a few when really wanting to win a race to great success. It's worth backing all 3 of his horses here for sure.

7.20 Killarney - Cristal Icon @ 12/1 Bet365

7.20 Killarney - Aldawayfornothing @ 12/1 Bet365

7.50 Killarney - Devil's Bride @ 7/1 Bet365

7.50 Killarney - Killiney Court @ 15/2 BetVictor

7.50 Killarney - Archive @ 12/1 William Hill

On 7/18/2017 at 4:04 PM, arsenalfh said:

Killarney July Festival - Day 2

Have a few statistical fancies at the picturesque Killarney racecourse this evening. It's a mixed card with the flat kicking things off before a Grade B handicap chase later on.

Billy Lee is probably the best jockey on these shores and he has a terrific record when taking over rides from other jockeys. When using Betfair starting prices he's notched up 128 expected wins under these circumstances but incredibly has 164 actual wins. Lee rides the light raced Cristal Icon here who has ran ok on both his starts in handicaps and looks sure to improve up in trip. He's down to 55 now and looks to have a decent shot with Lee taking the reigns.

Another to consider in the same race is Stack's Aldawayfornothing who runs first time in a handicap. Both father and son have a really good record in handicaps with 78 actual wins to 59 expected. The son Fozzy, also has hit the ground running with horses of this profile winning 2 from 6 runners first time in handicaps this season.

The next race is a Grade B handicap chase and De Bromhead runs 3. He does really well in summer handicap chases taking advantage while Mullins and Elliott keep their powder dry for the winter months but more interestingly is his record when running 2+ horses in a handicap chase. He has more than double the actual winners to expected (15 against 7) under these circumstances and appears to run a few when really wanting to win a race to great success. It's worth backing all 3 of his horses here for sure.

7.20 Killarney - Cristal Icon @ 12/1 Bet365

7.20 Killarney - Aldawayfornothing @ 12/1 Bet365

7.50 Killarney - Devil's Bride @ 7/1 Bet365

7.50 Killarney - Killiney Court @ 15/2 BetVictor

7.50 Killarney - Archive @ 12/1 William Hill

No luck yesterday. Had one for today at Killarney again but now a non runner.

Down 20pts yesterday.

Bets: 32

Profit: +65.95pts

Killarney July Festival - Day 4

Jamie Codd has a fantastic record in bumpers. He's essentially a professional riding in amateur races and has picked up a ride in the finale at Killarney. He's 61 actual wins to 49 expected given the horses he's ridden and is a positive to The Abbey's chances later today. Kevin Prendergast's horses often run well fresh too so this one is worth a bet at big odds.

5.20 Killarney - 2pts The Abbey e/w @ 20/1 BetVictor

• 4 weeks later...

Tramore August Festival - Day 1

Tramore kicks off today in less than an hour and I have two fancies in the opening beginner's chase on the card. Looking at the exchange odds you'll likely get better value later but since time is running out I'll have to put these up now.

Everyone knows how good De Bromhead is with his chasers but the amount of improvement his horses get first time up over fences is often underestimated by the market. He has 22 expected wins to 30 actual wins with horses under these conditions and it's a system well worth following. In an open race they both should go well.

5.20 Tramore - Moroval @ 5/1 Bet365

5.20 Tramore - Guitar George @ 16/1 Bet365

York Ebor Festival - Day 1

Cox is the man to focus on today in the two feature races at York. He has a fantastic record with 3 year olds and older in Group races with 45 wins to only 32 expected given the odds.

In the Voltigeur he runs Khalidi who's having his first start for the yard. Whilst he isn't far off these on quality he does look a bit exposed. But given Cox' s record in these races he might be able to eek out a bit of improvement.

His other runner is My Dream Boat in the Juddmonte. He disappointed last time with conditions in his favour running a strange race; keen in the early stages before plugging on at the end. His best performance was actually over 10f and maybe the first time visor will perk him up a bit. But it's been lashing down at York this morning and I don't think he's a 50/1 shot particularly with firms offering 5 places in a 7 runner contest.

York 3.00 - Khalidi 2pts e/w @ 20/1 Bet365 (3 places 1/4 odds)

York 3.35 - My Dream Boat 2pts e/w @ 50/1 SkyBet (3 places 1/5 odds)

Killarney August Festival - Day 1

Bhutan looked a potentially smart colt when beating Housesofparliament by 3L on his debut. He's obviously had problems since, having only 3 starts all over hurdles.

However he returns here well in with a shot if he can replicate that maiden win's form. He's completely unexposed on the level and running fresh should be no problem. The biggest angle here however is Billy Lee taking over for the first time. He's the best jockey in Ireland and following him in these circumstances yields a nice profit.

6.20 Killarney - Bhutan 4pts Win @ 9/2 Bet365