** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Championship Ante-Post 2017/18 Bet Chat

On 19/07/2017 at 0:08 PM, StevieDay1983 said:

Hahaha, you just sound like a stereotypical worn down Championship fan. Our fans are very optimistic about this season but I am always pessimistic. I just always struggle to see where the 45-50 points for survival will come let alone the other points for potential promotion. I look at our best XI and it's probably...

GK: Etheridge (not great - would have loved to see Marshall return)

DR: Paterson (quality addition if he can stay fit)

DL: Bennett (another attacking full back - Warnock looking to re-kindle the Blades days when he briefly had Walker and Naughton!)

DC: Manga (looking forward to seeing him return to his best now he's committed to a contract extension)

DC: Morrison (not the biggest fans' favourite but the physical brute we need to complement Manga's more classy approach)

MR: Hoilett (one of a number of potential wide men. Could bring the assists to the table and a huge improvement on the shot Noone)

ML: Ward (another player who might not make the starting XI but is my personal choice)

MC: Ralls (still think he's a better central midfielder but Warnock keeps playing him out wide. Hopefully, that changes)

MC: Gunnarsson (our player of the season last year. Warnock gets the best out of him. Can lead our charge. Amazed he's not captain)

AM: Tomlin (sitting him in the hole will work well)

FC: Zohore (proven he can score goals up top on his own)

When you think that squad doesn't even include the likes of Bamba, Richards, Damour, Mendez-Laing, Saadi, Connolly, or Pilkington it shows how much more depth we have this season. I'm still backing us to make top 6 but it's going to be close. As you said, it's very congested. Wolves and Middlesbrough going all out to appear as the early favourites but so many other teams could be in the mix.

Cardiff have been in my betting thoughts all summer so it's good to hear you sound so positive about them. I've been toying whether to take them for a top half finish or not but with Warnock and a good squad, I'm hoping they'll be up there!

1 minute ago, canaries91 said:

Cardiff have been in my betting thoughts all summer so it's good to hear you sound so positive about them. I've been toying whether to take them for a top half finish or not but with Warnock and a good squad, I'm hoping they'll be up there!

How are you feeling about Norwich? I still think you have a strong squad but a dozen teams do this season. It's the most unpredictable season yet!

Just now, StevieDay1983 said:

How are you feeling about Norwich? I still think you have a strong squad but a dozen teams do this season. It's the most unpredictable season yet!

I really don't know! And that's how most Norwich fans feel. Pre season has been positive, but of course that doesn't equal a strong season.

Im happy with the business we have done. Howson was arguably our best player last season, although there was a feel around the place that he is/was replaceable. We have got rid of a lot of deadwood in Bennett, Ruddy, Bassong, Lafferty amongst others. Some real big earners that reportedly had poor attitudes. Jacob Murphy has also left but we received a good figure for him, and we have also kept his twin Josh, who is thought of at Norwich as the better twin.

In terms of incomings, the most impressive during pre season has been Harrison Reed for me. He is on a season long loan from Southampton and he looks absolute class. We have been playing 4141 and 3142 formations and he plays as the sitting 1 in midfield in both systems. He is a pit bull type midfielder but is also brilliant on the ball. The only problem is that if he gets injured/suspended, his replacement is Alex Tettey, who although has been a good servant, isn't really up to it, in terms of the system and the possession based game we now play.

i think we may be a little short in some areas in terms of squad strength, but I think and hope we should be around the top 6, and I'd be happy with this.

@Tiffy

Birmingham are drifting:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/to-finish-in-top-half

From Sky Sports website:

BIRMINGHAM ‘NEED MORE SIGNINGS’

Harry Redknapp has warned Birmingham City face a “difficult” season if they do not strengthen further.

They have signed David Stockdale, Marc Roberts and Cheikh N’Doye, while Ravel Morrison and Simeon Slavchev are still on trial.

“We are a little bit short at the moment – we need to improve the squad this week if we can,” Redknapp told BBC West Midlands.

“We have been trying but it’s been very difficult to get the players in who we have been chasing. Hopefully we will get there – it’s not been through a lack of effort.”

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

My view is if Birmingham get some good forward players in over the next week then 2.6 for top 12 finish is interesting. If recruitment drive doesn't go well then 2.6 doesn't hold any clear value imo.

Be on the lookout peeps.

Edited by Mindfulness

3 hours ago, Mindfulness said:

@Tiffy

Birmingham are drifting:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/to-finish-in-top-half

From Sky Sports website:

BIRMINGHAM ‘NEED MORE SIGNINGS’

Harry Redknapp has warned Birmingham City face a “difficult” season if they do not strengthen further.

They have signed David Stockdale, Marc Roberts and Cheikh N’Doye, while Ravel Morrison and Simeon Slavchev are still on trial.

“We are a little bit short at the moment – we need to improve the squad this week if we can,” Redknapp told BBC West Midlands.

“We have been trying but it’s been very difficult to get the players in who we have been chasing. Hopefully we will get there – it’s not been through a lack of effort.”

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

My view is if Birmingham get some good forward players in over the next week then 2.6 for top 12 finish is interesting. If recruitment drive doesn't go well then 2.6 doesn't hold any clear value imo.

Be on the lookout peeps.

Thanks for that, let's keep an eye on it shall we? I still reckon they won't ship a lot of goals this season though. Their first game against Ipswich looks am unders game to me for sure.

We are hoping that Brighton can keep City down to single figures in their first game!

Looking at the battle at the wrong end of the table, I think the value bet may be QPR to go down at 4s. They haven't strengthened at all this summer, and they were a poor outfit last year led by a poor manager who was very lucky to keep his job after a horrendous run of defeats when he first rejoined them. QPR, Millwall and Ipswich will be the three teams to perish I think. 

11 minutes ago, WiggoBets said:

Looking at the battle at the wrong end of the table, I think the value bet may be QPR to go down at 4s. They haven't strengthened at all this summer, and they were a poor outfit last year led by a poor manager who was very lucky to keep his job after a horrendous run of defeats when he first rejoined them. QPR, Millwall and Ipswich will be the three teams to perish I think. 

Agree 100% about QPR. I think they're in big trouble. Struggled last year, haven't strengthened and looking at their squad, I just can't see how they're going to have enough to stay up. Unless of course they have a really busy end to the transfer window.

Im not so sure about Ipswich. I think they will be down there in the bottom half, but whilst they have McCarthy, they always seem to just have enough to survive despite his poor, negative tactics. Hope they do go down though!

Edited by canaries91

38 minutes ago, Tiffy said:

Thanks for that, let's keep an eye on it shall we? I still reckon they won't ship a lot of goals this season though. Their first game against Ipswich looks am unders game to me for sure.

We are hoping that Brighton can keep City down to single figures in their first game!

Yeh I agree that defensively they will be fine but I am concerned about their attack at present. Top 12 market seems like there's a nice margin for error but championship is so competitive. You have to look at all the teams and judge with confidence how likely it is that Birmingham can finish above x,y,z. For some reason they do not fill me with confidence right now but that could change with additional players. Anyway as Robbie Savage would say "It's just my opinion, just my opinion". You have to do what you think is best, if you wanna back Birmingham now, back them now.

Brighton V Man City could be a momment for great poetry, something along the lines of 'foul seaweed clung to the rocks as the great tide crashed down upon them' :beer

I have a strong fancy for Fulham, they have stability now as a club after a few years of turmoil and a decent squad that they have added to sensibly. I don't think there is as much expectation around them as there will be at Villa and 'Boro,  I think Wolves will struggle at least early on as the new manager and the expensive signings bed down and I expect QPR to go down under Holloway

Championship Top Goalscorer

Wolves have made numerous eye-catching signings this summer but Portuguese pair Ruben Neves and Diogo Jota look particularly impressive acquisitions. The latter was impressive up front for Porto last season and if it wasn't for Griezmann and Correia who play the same role, he would likely be preparing for a Champions League campaign in the Spanish capital.

Although his actual goals scored numbers don't look extremely impressive, a metric called expected goals gives a much better picture of his goalscoring potential. Jota hit 0.53 expected goals per 90 in Portugal last season which was only marginally lower than Andre Silva who signed for A.C. Milan in a big money move. Furthermore he is priced at just 16/1 to be the top scorer in Italy. Bas Dost wasn't far ahead of Jota either in expected goals figures and he hit an impressive 34 goals in Portugal last season. Jota played considerably less minutes than the pair just mentioned which is another consideration when looking at actual goals scored numbers.

Wolves have been lining up in 3-4-3 during preseason and don't have much depth up front. Bonatini will have to recapture his Estoril form and the likes of Dicko aren't exactly top quality options. This means Jota has a good chance of getting some minutes in a central position.

The truth here is that Wolves have signed a Champions League ready forward who is comfortable as a central striker or coming from the left. He's Griezmann like in style who likes playing inbetween the lines and not only has an eye for goal but is a creative force with his dribbling and passing. Stepping down into a weaker league with impressive expected goals figures and there is no way he should be an 80/1 shot in this market.

Championship Top Goalscorer - Diogo Jota each-way @ 80/1 Skybet (4 places)

On 31/07/2017 at 7:10 PM, Mindfulness said:

Yeh I agree that defensively they will be fine but I am concerned about their attack at present. Top 12 market seems like there's a nice margin for error but championship is so competitive. You have to look at all the teams and judge with confidence how likely it is that Birmingham can finish above x,y,z. For some reason they do not fill me with confidence right now but that could change with additional players. Anyway as Robbie Savage would say "It's just my opinion, just my opinion". You have to do what you think is best, if you wanna back Birmingham now, back them now.

Brighton V Man City could be a momment for great poetry, something along the lines of 'foul seaweed clung to the rocks as the great tide crashed down upon them' :beer

You seem far to eloquent to be a Palace fan, the ones I know struggle to string a sentence together! Perhaps you have been reading Eric Cantonas book of poetry, sounds like it, haha

And anyway, why does seaweed have to be foul?!

it should read "The strong, brave and mighty seaweed clung to the rocks......"

But I like your style, and think that you have summed up the first game about right :-(

I think I am going off Birmingham at the moment. Going to have them unders this season in match by match betting.

I think the Prem will be won by a Manchester club

Villa will get promoted, Sunderland will struggle, Blackburn will win L1, Luton will get promoted and surely Tranmere will go up this season?

PS Will be looking forward to more prose & verse this season, perhaps we can have a separate thread? 

Ok, lets

15 hours ago, Mindfulness said:

A few of us tried to get 'limerick lounge' going a few years ago.

A few of us received death threats and it was discontinued.

Ok, let's get Limerick corner off to a flyer

There once was a fan of Crystal Palace

Who approached the Derby with trepidation

And when Dunk scored a goal

Which sent Brighton on a roll

It condemned the Eagles to relegation!

On 7/31/2017 at 8:59 PM, Foinavon said:

I have a strong fancy for Fulham, they have stability now as a club after a few years of turmoil and a decent squad that they have added to sensibly. I don't think there is as much expectation around them as there will be at Villa and 'Boro,  I think Wolves will struggle at least early on as the new manager and the expensive signings bed down and I expect QPR to go down under Holloway

:welcome to PL @Foinavon :ok 

There seems to be question marks about nearly every club.

Of course it's an extremely difficult league to get out of as Aston Villa found out last season.

All said and done I think Middlesbrough are safest bet, if there can be one in this league, but the 13/2 looks skinny enough.

Maybe the value lies with Derby who will grind out results when it matters under a very good manager. Derby are 14/1 generally.

I am putting my Antepost selections in here, although they span the divisionas. Feel free to move them if there is a more suitable thread please mods.

Blackburn, Luton, Tranmere all to be promoted

Coventry to finish top 3

Peterhead to winScottish  L2

2x £25 4Folds returns £1697

Top Goalscorers Double

Pascal Gross is going to be a terrific new signing for Brighton. I can't see a striker being our top scorer this season, we don't have a standout one in the squad. He has been our top scorer in pre season, and scored against Athletico with a sublime free kick. I can also see him being out main penalty/free kick taker this season.

i have doubled him with Jota from Wolves,  after reading earlier threads on here. There seems to be reasonable agreement from a few on here, so.....

Chamionship Top Scorer- Jota (Wolves) E/W

Pascal Gross Brighton's top scorer

£10  double returns - £10,985!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Great pre season info on Jota arsenalfh. He's an absolutely fabulous player, though i dont think he will be amongst the leading scorers, unfortunately,

His overall play and goal assists are invaluable to us. He and midfielder Neves must be the most technically gifted pair in this division in my opinion. I think we need another striker in January but hey Bonatini is doing a wonderful job up til now. We are playing the best football i've ever seen us play right now, and winning the league is almost expected around these parts as long as Nuno sticks with us.

The best team we've played at home so far are Bristol City who got a 3-3 draw. Cardiff beat us at home really early doors but we've wised up a little now to being roughed up.

Come on Wolves!!!