** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Royal Ascot - Ante Post Betting

King's Stand Stakes (Tuesday 20th June)

This looks a nice ante post betting race with several of the market leaders having other targets or some holes in their form.

Lady Aurelia heads the betting at 9/2 best priced but is also entered in the Commonwealth Cup. She didn't stay a yard of 6 furlongs last year but did seem to settle better when winning on her reappearance at Keeneland although I would expect her to line up here. The concern I have with her is whether she will train on as Ward has his 2 year olds very forward as we saw with Acapulco who didn't train on a yard.

Marsha was very impressive the last day at Newmarket and looks rock solid at 6/1 but she might not be that much shorter on the morning of the race given the way bookmakers operate these days. Acapulco looks miles off what is required here based on her recent form and looks a massive lay at 8/1. She never matched her run over course and distance and even that piece of form would likely leave her short here. She's also in foal so we don't know how that will affect her.

Profitable won this last year but Royal Ascot is usually run on quick ground so he probably won't get his ideal conditions like he did last season. That's enough to put me off him repeating his win. Washington DC has been running well over 5f but 14/1 looks a little short when he's likely going to need to pull out a little more improvement to win here going against his pretty exposed profile.

If Limato turns up at Royal Ascot he must be near certain to run in the Diamond Jubilee over 6f and you would have to think the same race would be the plan for Quiet Reflection as well as Brando. Caravaggio is probably a near definite runner in the Commonwealth Cup all being well too. Signs of Blessing had a fantastic campaign last year probably not getting the credit he deserved going off big prices despite showing top class form. He remains of interest but he's another who is likely going to stick to 6f contests.

Goldream and Cotai Glory look the interesting ones at the prices. These are out and out 5f sprinters who love fast ground making them likely runners in this event. The former won this race two years ago but was pulled from the race last season on account of the soft ground and seems to relish the sprint course at Ascot. However at the prices I prefer Cotai Glory who was 2nd behind Profitable last year beaten just a neck and his reappearance can be excused when well beaten by Marsha at Newmarket. He stumbled out of the stalls, raced keen and doesn't seem to like undulating courses. It's possible he might even improve on his run in this last year given that he's a good moving horse and his trainer Charles Hills is adamant he wants fast ground.

With this ante post market potentially cutting up badly Cotai Glory looks a good bet at 33/1.

3.40 Ascot - Cotai Glory @ 33/1 Skybet

I don't usually bet ante post but after reading your post I've just had a small bet on Goldream @ 16-1
He ran very well last week in a good time and as long as the ground is on the firm side for Ascot I think he is likely to race and he should have a very good chance. 
I think that Marsha and Washington DC could also be involved if they run but 6-1 is not tempting as an ante post bet for Marsha while Washington DC looks better value at this stage at 14-1 but I'll stick with Goldream.

Anyone who has some sort of fancy at bigger prices in this race should get a few quid on ante post I reckon. Can't see the race not cutting up.

Acapulco is out today at the Curragh so it will be interesting if she shows any improvement going to Ballydoyle. She takes on Ardhoomey who has been improving for Lyons.

Profitable was smashed yesterday by Signs Of Blessing who I mentioned previously as being underappreciated giving weight over 5f. That's the best piece of sprinting form on offer and Rohaut believes he doesn't properly stay the stiff 6f at Ascot so the King's Stand is the target. Looks worth a bet at 14/1 as I can see him going off half the price on the day.

3.40 Ascot - Signs Of Blessing @ 14/1 Ladbrokes

• 1 month later...

I think Royal Ascot this year looks harder than ever, apart from one or two shorties like Churchill and Ribchester.

The big handicaps are very competitive as per, and this year the 2yo races will be more open than usual, i have never witnessed so many well fancied 2yo favourites getting beaten and it wouldn't surprise me to see some upsets in that division.

It may well pay to stick to the Pattern races where the form is pretty solid.

I like Big Orange at 12/1 (bet365) for the Gold Cup on Thursday, i'm just not sure about the favourite here and i'm pretty sure they will shorten up a few horses before the day of the race. It could be a bit of value. He will love the fast ground, the forecast is for it to be dry all week.

On 6/16/2017 at 9:24 AM, BillyHills said:

I think Royal Ascot this year looks harder than ever, apart from one or two shorties like Churchill and Ribchester.

The big handicaps are very competitive as per, and this year the 2yo races will be more open than usual, i have never witnessed so many well fancied 2yo favourites getting beaten and it wouldn't surprise me to see some upsets in that division.

It may well pay to stick to the Pattern races where the form is pretty solid.

I like Big Orange at 12/1 (bet365) for the Gold Cup on Thursday, i'm just not sure about the favourite here and i'm pretty sure they will shorten up a few horses before the day of the race. It could be a bit of value. He will love the fast ground, the forecast is for it to be dry all week.

Great shout.  :ok Definitely was a bit of value on the day going off something around half the price.