** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Weekend > May 5th - 8th

HULL v SUNDERLAND

Hull at odds of 1.45 to beat Sunderland says it all.

It is a terrible price, but the bookmakers are convinced of the home win here.

Sunderland have been terrible away all season. They have picked up 2 wins and a draw from 16 games. They have failed to score 9 times on the road. This squad is so poor, that they could drop right through the Championship next season, straight into League 1. 

Another set of interesting stats regarding Hull at home this season. Against teams ranked 9 to 20 at home (11 teams) this season, Hull have lost just once. They have 7 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss. Their real problem has been away from home where they have lost 12 times to the top 15 teams picking up just 3 points. 

What has really pissed me off with Moyes, is that he has tried nothing this season.  They have been the same stale, uninspired team all season, and have never given it a go. Losing does'nt bother me, as long as I have given myself a chance to WIN. But losing with NO UPSIDE is laughable. You kill a little more of yourself every time you do it...

I would like to see the PRE LEAGUE TABLE PREDICTIONS forum again. The one where people suggested there league table.

All of the following bets will be reasonable here

Hull HT/FT - Odds 2.2
No to BTTS - Odds 1.8
Under 2.5 goals - Odds 1.95
Hull Win to Nil - Odds 2.25

Can Arsenal win ? Seems that they still have chance to get into top 4

They only played 33 matches, still have 5 matches to go (maximum 15 points)

Looking back at the past 6 seasons, at current stage Arsenal is at either 3rd or 4th position. Today they are at 6th.

What is worrying is at the final third of the season (last 12 matches) for the past 6 seasons, Arsenal was able to maintain consistency in form, but this 2016-17 season has been the opposite as Arsenal did better in the first 12 matches. They have already lost 4 matches since matchweek 26 - They never lose more than 3 out of the final 12 matches for the past 6 seasons.

Under Arsene Wenger, they have never ever lost more than 3 out of the final 12 matches except on the season when he took over (1996-97)

Probably the closest comparison is from 2013-14 season where the team was shaky from matchweek 26 to 33 (DWLWLDDL) before recording 5 wins out of 5. But having said that, they were already in top 4 positions by then.

I'm not sure arsenal will do anything in this game. Let Pogba handle Ozil ( a complete mismatch), and Herera man mark Sanchez, and I  don't think Arsenal can score. I would'nt bet a cent on Arsenal here.

Last 7 away league games across Europe 4 teams have won 6 games and drawn 1 (Man United, Roma, Napoli and Celtic). Man United have conceded 2 goals and scored 16. Their defensive improvement is so subtle, bit-by-bit, that it has gone undetected. Like going to the gym for 4 months. You don't see changes on a day to day basis, but you know the difference at the end of the period.

They are a very difficult team to beat. Forget Mourinho's verbal war  and I'll rest everyone comments. They can still field a combination of

De Gea

Darmian, Blind, Smalling, Valencia, Jones

Pogba Herrera Mata Mhikitarian lingaard

Martial Carrick Rooney, Martial  which will probably get the job done against a clueless Gunners outfit

Why or how would Herrera mark Alexis? Arsenal needs a scorer. Someone who will add 20-30 goals per season and add some assists on account of Alexis as well. They are somehow far from balanced team. I have feeling that they have everything and nothing at the same time. Their style of football is changing during the match, and that's not happening because of ta tical reasons, but simply because opponent can force them to play differently to easily. On the other hand, they are relying on individual role of Alexis too much IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Pep004 said:

Why or how would Herrera mark Alexis? Arsenal needs a scorer. Someone who will add 20-30 goals per season and add some assists on account of Alexis as well. They are somehow far from balanced team. I have feeling that they have everything and nothing at the same time. Their style of football is changing during the match, and that's not happening because of ta tical reasons, but simply because opponent can force them to play differently to easily. On the other hand, they are relying on individual role of Alexis too much IMO. 

Simple, stop Ozil and Sanchez and ARsenal are toothless.

It doesn't really matter who does it. Physically it's a good match-up (though Ozil is wimp, that gets easily bullied out of games). Jones could do it as well. Stop Ozil and Sanchez and it's game over ...

2 minutes ago, neilovan said:

It doesn't really matter who does it. Physically it's a good match-up (though Ozil is wimp, that gets easily bullied out of games). Jones could do it as well. Stop Ozil and Sanchez and it's game over ...

I think that's a major problem for Arsenal. They have so many players that aren't being used to their full potential. As a Cardiff and Wales fan, I am fully aware of how creative Ramsey can be. He showed at the Euros how he can tear apart even the best opposition with generally average players around him. So why isn't he doing it at Arsenal? Arsenal shouldn't be so reliant on two players when they have so many technically gifted players. It's obscene. I really can't pin Arsenal down. I'm tempted to say it will be over 2.5 goals but it's a tough call at this stage of the season.

30 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I think that's a major problem for Arsenal. They have so many players that aren't being used to their full potential. As a Cardiff and Wales fan, I am fully aware of how creative Ramsey can be. He showed at the Euros how he can tear apart even the best opposition with generally average players around him. So why isn't he doing it at Arsenal? Arsenal shouldn't be so reliant on two players when they have so many technically gifted players. It's obscene. I really can't pin Arsenal down. I'm tempted to say it will be over 2.5 goals but it's a tough call at this stage of the season.

Arsenal's biggest problem is that they have to many similar players. They have a reasonable midfield, but it seems that players don't really understand their  roles. For me Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has been excellent almost every time I have seen him (only started 21 games). Yet they miss a Pogba (read Viera) type midfield general. One rock in the midfield lets everyone settle down and play around him. I can't stand Fellaini, but he holds the midfield well, and is doing a job there. WHo is doing this for Arsenal ?

Then Wenger is also playing the wrong formation. I think Arsenal would be well suited to a 4 3 3 . Play Sanchez, Walcott and Giroud upfront. They have 52 goals between them this season. Giroud has 12 in 12 starts, and gives them an extra dimension upfront (he scores goals with his head).

Edited by neilovan

2 hours ago, neilovan said:

Arsenal's biggest problem is that they have to many similar players. They have a reasonable midfield, but it seems that players don't really understand their  roles. For me Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has been excellent almost every time I have seen him (only started 21 games). Yet they miss a Pogba (read Viera) type midfield general. One rock in the midfield lets everyone settle down and play around him. I can't stand Fellaini, but he holds the midfield well, and is doing a job there. WHo is doing this for Arsenal ?

Then Wenger is also playing the wrong formation. I think Arsenal would be well suited to a 4 3 3 . Play Sanchez, Walcott and Giroud upfront. They have 52 goals between them this season. Giroud has 12 in 12 starts, and gives them an extra dimension upfront (he scores goals with his head).

It's meant to be Granit Xhaka but I'm not sure Wenger understands how to manage that position very well. Vieira was very self-taught and he also had help with Petit playing a similar defensive role with the Gunners reliant on the wing play of Pires, Overmars, and Ljungberg with Wright, Bergkamp, and Henry up front in the past. You allude to this by saying the players don't understand their roles. That's down to Wenger.

I'll be very interested to see how this match pans out. @neilovan, what's your bet for this game?

41 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

It's meant to be Granit Xhaka but I'm not sure Wenger understands how to manage that position very well. Vieira was very self-taught and he also had help with Petit playing a similar defensive role with the Gunners reliant on the wing play of Pires, Overmars, and Ljungberg with Wright, Bergkamp, and Henry up front in the past. You allude to this by saying the players don't understand their roles. That's down to Wenger.

I'll be very interested to see how this match pans out. @neilovan, what's your bet for this game?

My bet here is under 2.5 goals at odds of about 2-1. If United win I think it is 0-1 or 0-2 which are 13-1 and 21-1 respectively

20 hours ago, Sir Puntalot said:

Hull 4/9 to beat Sunderland? Has the world gone mad? :loon 

Price always dictates whether you should back a team or not, otherwise you just can't win long term. I wouldn't back Hull to beat Hartlepool at 4/9, mental. They have been very good at home and will probably win, but don't be surprised if Sunderland pull off a shock here as there's no pressure whatsoever on them.

:loon 

@Mindfulness I was really impressed by Kompany's playmaking abilities.. while on the other hand, Palace was disaster today. What is nothing is nothing. I had feeling that Fernandinho won all the duels in midfield. Stealing the ball really all the time, while Sane was simply too quick. I really like this player. I think that he will become even better in next years.

Besides... What do you guys think about Sterling? I mean, he is hard worker, doing what coach wants from him, but when he comes into position to finish attack, he is among the poorest in the league. I know that his conversion rate is not that bad (it was little bit above the average on last time I checked) but that's also because he is not shooting, but trying to dribble in impossible situations. And when it comes to shot, he looks like a 13-year old, totally without shot power.

Edited by Pep004

20 minutes ago, Pep004 said:

@Mindfulness Palace was disaster today. What is nothing is nothing. I had feeling that Fernandinho won all the duels in midfield. Stealing the ball really all the time, while Sane was simply too quick. I really like this player. I think that he will become even better in next years.

Palace were always going to get swamped today. First of all, a really good performance from City - one of their best this season and Pep was clearly pleased. Palace had Martin Kelly and Jefferey Schlupp at centre-back, Kelly is ok alongside a leader centre-back like Sakho but struggles without a good partner. This was the first time in Schlupp's career he played at centre-back!!! Palace are not a ball retention team at the best of times but we are better when Cabaye is fit and playing (a rarity these days). Too many individuals underperformed for Palace today but I wont be too critical as our destiny is still in our hands and must keep faith that the team will bounce back for key home game V Hull next week.

Sane really good, Fernandinho excellent, De Bruyne incredible - his anticipation and positional awareness is top level.

Premier League:

Chelsea have won their last 7 games against Middlesbrough in all competitions.
Middlesbrough have failed to win their last 16 away games in Premier League.
Chelsea have kept a clean sheet in their last 8 home games against Middlesbrough in all competitions.

Interesting 24 Football Betting Streaks for 08.05.2017 ... http://eurofootballrumours.com/football-streaks-08-05-2017

Edited by Magic0024

Does anyone else think that Chelsea could give Middlesbrough a battering tonight? I just can't see Chelsea slipping up after Tottenham dropped points. Strange things happen in the title race all the time but this Chelsea side is so disciplined under Conte. I can see a 2-0 win and the Blues moving to within one win of the title.