** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Midweek > May 3rd & 4th

nonleagueodds.jpg

A range of play-off games and what not this week. These may get updated because the bet365 odds availability are a bit all over the place at the moment but here are the National League, National League North, and National League South games available to look at.

@addpea, @GazBlades, @Gidds, @tictok, @allthethings, @Tanktop, @amtopm, @sammydubs@the bastardian@bromsgrovegreen, @Woodgate, @Carl Iles, @dawwe92, @Kenton Schweppes, @TastesLikeTuna, @atish29, @sammummery, @MuineBheag, @Bronxie and @misky.

I very rarely bet on the actual matches because logic dictates they are going to be close affairs, but even though I fancy Tranmere to go up I do think Aldershot are a bigger price than they should be tomorrow. I also don't think Tranmere are great value for promotion either even though like I say I think they have it in them to go up. I'm almost in the anyone but FGR boat though. The North looks very tricky and anyone of them could manage it as they are all in decent enough form. Ebbsfleet should win the South. They were clear 2nd best and although they blew it last year I can't see them doing it twice although if Dartford get through it will be another big derby as it was with Maidstone last season.

For Tranmere to get promoted they will have to do something they haven't done all season, and that's beat one of the top 5 teams in the league. They have just 3 points out of 24 against those who came in the top five. I'll be backing Aldershot tomorrow night, and to qualify. 

16 hours ago, GazBlades said:

For Tranmere to get promoted they will have to do something they haven't done all season, and that's beat one of the top 5 teams in the league. They have just 3 points out of 24 against those who came in the top five. I'll be backing Aldershot tomorrow night, and to qualify. 

Technically speaking they don't. They can gain promotion with 3 draws and then by winning on penalties. It can't have happened very often that a team who has gone so close to winning the title has failed to beat any of the teams around them in the table. History is against Aldershot however as no 5 place team has ever won the play-offs.

On 02/05/2017 at 9:38 AM, addpea said:

I very rarely bet on the actual matches because logic dictates they are going to be close affairs, but even though I fancy Tranmere to go up I do think Aldershot are a bigger price than they should be tomorrow. I also don't think Tranmere are great value for promotion either even though like I say I think they have it in them to go up. I'm almost in the anyone but FGR boat though. The North looks very tricky and anyone of them could manage it as they are all in decent enough form. Ebbsfleet should win the South. They were clear 2nd best and although they blew it last year I can't see them doing it twice although if Dartford get through it will be another big derby as it was with Maidstone last season.

I have a mate who is a Tranmere fan. Two actually, but the one only really talks about Liverpool. It has struck me how confident they are about going back up. It's as if it's their divine right. That's always a problem going into the play-offs. You need to remain grounded otherwise you'll get caught short. Interesting you mention Aldershot.

I think that attitude is always an issue for the bigger clubs who come down. Luton suffered really badly from it and it was one of the main reasons it took them so long to go back up. Tranmere's home form stopped them from getting in the play-offs and again I think the pressure of the fans was to blame. This season their home form was much better so I am guessing they got behind their team much more than the season before. I think Micky Mellon probably helped on that front as well.

I think tonight proved that league position counts for more than how many points you have picked up around the teams around you. A lot of those games Tranmere had played quite a while ago and in the case of Aldershot away was played when Brabin was still the manager. As much as I thought Aldershot were a bigger price than they should have been, but the gamble that ended up happening was very odd indeed. Very much a step to far for Aldershot tonight and I think in some ways them getting in the play-offs might have been a bad thing as teams who have been in the play-offs the season before often don't actually go on and win the title the next year.