** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Is a Draw a Lucky Pick or a Calculated Value Selection?

I know punters who just won't entertain picking draws in their bets, but there is some serious value to be had sometimes, in fact a lot of the time!

I don't buy into it's a lucky tip because you can back a team to win, they got totally hammered in the match and get away with a lucky goal - isn't that a lucky bet also? ;)

Thoughts? Who likes backing draws in what look like competitive matches?

If 1 or 2 can be a calculated value selection, then there's no reason X can't be a calculated value selection. As you say, sometimes good value can be had backing the draw. Most people seem to like to back a team to win and so books will sometimes inflate draw odds to attract bets and balance liabilities.

About luck, I'd say you always need a bit of luck no matter what the bet. Without getting too deep into probabilities and statistics, even if you're betting at 10 to 1 on there's a chance things could go against you and you've got on something the one time out of ten that it doesn't happen as implied by the odds.

A draw is your best bet in football imo.

but it's a harder bet to guess because no reasonable team wants to draw a game.

All games start in a draw remember.

i fund if I can't decide on one team to win after a week of deliberations I'll either say fcuk it or I'll have an a-ha! Moment and realise it's a draw! then it's just a matter if deciding whether there'll be goals or not for the BTTS bet.

• StevieDay1983 changed the title to Is a Draw a Lucky Pick or a Calculated Value Selection?

I'm with @andrewcalo on this. I find draws can be calculated. Frequently, you can see when two teams might cancel each other out. If sides are struggling to score then a draw is always a good option. I've won money off a draw outright pick quite a lot. In fact, after BTTS five folds, I would say a draw outright bet has given me the most success.