** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

£100 to £100,000 Glory Hunt (34% Complete)

Torque

• 8 months later...

With some sense of normality returning to the sporting world - at least in as much as most sports have started up again - I'm going to have another crack at this. Although I've had my fingers burnt by him numerous times before, I'm looking to back Djokovic to beat Berankis at the Western and Southern Open tennis tournament. This is the warm-up event ahead of the US Open and although Djokovic hasn't played since the Adria Tour that he organised a couple of months ago, I can't believe that he will want to go into a Grand Slam that he stands a very good chance of winning without having picked up at least one win here. Berankis is a capable player, but if Djokovic really wants to win which I think he will then he should be making it into the next round. Right now the price on Betfair is lower than I want to back at, so I'll try to get a better price and will confirm the bet if I get on.

Bet 1 won. New bank £111.47

Djokovic won but it was far from straightforward. He was managing some kind of injury and had to have medical treatment. With that in mind I'm not backing him again at this tournament - I'll wait until the US Open before potentially backing him again.

• 2 weeks later...

Bet 2 won. Next stake £123.48

Djokovic won, but not in straight sets surprisingly. I got matched at 2-2 when Djokovic went behind on serve, although he came back to hold. The first set went to a tie-break which Edmund won and then early in the second set Djokovic went out to about 1.25 - from there though it was one-way traffic as Djokovic got a break and then ran out the winner in four sets.

Djokovic plays again at the US Open this evening and after he dropped a set in the last round, he might just drop a set again. If he does, and as long as it's the first or second set, I should be able to get matched at the kind of price I want to back at. 

Bet 3 void - but that doesn't tell even half the story.

It looked as though I had no chance of getting matched as Djokovic went to 0-40 on Carreno-Busta's serve at 5-4* in the first set. From that position you'd have expected Djokovic to break and win the set, most likely on the way to a routine straight-sets win.

It didn't turn out that way though - somehow Carreno-Busta held on to his serve and then got ahead in the next game with Djokovic serving and calling for the trainer after a fall. That's when I got on as the market began to panic thinking that he might have to retire (having watched so much of Djokovic over the years I wasn't too concerned at this stage as I've lost count of the amount of times he's been thought to be injured or ill only to win anyway), which led to his price moving right out. Eventually Carreno-Busta got the break which meant he could serve for the set, and at that point the frustration of not breaking Carreno-Busta and then getting broken himself in the very next game got the better of Djokovic. He turned away from the service line and smacked a ball towards the back of the court which hit and knocked over a line judge, and which caused him to be disqualified.

Because the first set hadn't been completed my bet was void which was lucky for me - if it had happened in the second set or later I'd have hit an unbelievable loser. It just goes to show how hard it is to string lots of short price bets together - you never know what can happen and what happened tonight could never have been predicted and if it had been priced up by a bookmaker the odds would have been very long indeed.

So much can go wrong in football @JdsGooner90 as you well know, having commented when I laid Hoffenheim to beat Bayern Munich last season which they duly did - most likely a once in a season occurrence if not longer.

There is risk in betting on anything - football, tennis, tiddlywinks whatever. There has to be otherwise there would be no odds.

That is true. I was trying to make more of a point that you have done 3 bets in 2 weeks, all on tennis and in tennis there is high chance of injury/ something stupid like what Djokovic did yesterday happening. If you only bet on tennis then chances are high you will comes across something like yesterday and you already have after 3 bets. 

At least the bet was void this time round, hopefully you can have a decent run from here. 

• 1 month later...

After a long hiatus - which will probably be a theme of this attempt - there's a possible bet today which will be bet 3 if matched. Djokovic is playing at the ATP tournament in Vienna, which I would normally swerve as it's not a big tournament. However, Djokovic is playing here with a specific purpose in mind, which is to protect his ranking as the best player in the world. With that motivation in mind, I think he'll be doing everything he can to win.

Bet 3 won. Next stake £136.79

That was a bit of struggle for Djokovic in the end. It was looking like it could be over very quickly when he broke Krajinovic early in the first set, but he gave the break straight back and then got broken again which meant Krajinovic served for the set. At that point, he was a little under 2 to 1 on for the win - much higher than I'd backed at and not a price I wanted to see at all - but he rescued the situation by breaking again to get the set back on serve. A tie-break followed after service holds were traded, where Krajinovic got the early advantage with a mini-break on the first point. He couldn't hold that advantage though, losing both points that followed on his serve before edging ahead again with another mini-break. Once again he couldn't hold on to the lead and it was on serve with Djokovic serving to stay in the set, which he duly did. Djokovic then got the decisive mini-break with Krajinovic serving to stay in the set.

Set 2 wasn't entirely smooth either as Djokovic once again got the first break and had three points for a double-break which he couldn't convert, before the set nearly went back on serve in the next game. Djokovic finally got over the line with a break to complete a 7-6, 6-3 victory. This was always likely to be a tricky match, as Krajinovic has caused Djokovic problems in the past plus Djokovic hasn't played since the French Open. I'd expect him to play better in the next round and that might be the next bet for this thread.

• Torque changed the title to £100 to £100,000 Glory Hunt (3% Complete)

Next bet will be backing Ajax to beat Fortuna Sittard in the Dutch Eredivisie - if I can get a slightly better price in-play. It's top against bottom and really should be an easy home win, especially as Ajax are in such good scoring form having scored 13 times in their last league game.