** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Europa League > Apr 13th

europaleagueodds.jpg.1bf0d0f097aeb8339e4

The draw for the 2016/17 Europa League Quarter Finals was made earlier today and it provided some tough ties for us punters. The bookies might suggest favourites in all four first leg matches but there is more than meets the eye in a few of these match-ups.

@delfino, @KikoCy, @giraldi, @Icongene, @dogmeister, @rangers234, @ElPrincipito007, @KingSoccertips, @vasilli07, @betcatalog, @immortal--, @DW_United, @discipline, @WinningAdvice, and @CloughandTaylor, you all had some fair points to make on the previous round of action. What are your thoughts here?

Right now, if I had to make calls on the outcomes of the games I would back a draw between Ajax and Schalke... maybe a draw no bet for Schalke, draw no bet for Man Utd away in Anderlecht as well, Celta Vigo to beat Genk (but I think Genk will be tough to beat and could sneak it over two legs), and then Lyon to beat Besiktas.

Tough decision to be made indeed, to not bet included. I am very disappointed I lost one of my three favourites – Roma (2 remains Ajax and Anderlecht)  

At first sight, without any closer  information, what to say?

1.            Schalke has some problems with only few points over relegation zone and 2 games against 2 “colleagues”  just around the EL game against Ajax.

Ajax stays OK and has full power activated for the finish anyway just few points behind Feyenoord . If Ajax beat Feyenoord on 2nd April will also beat Shalke. 

Anderlecht, another team on very good shape against a team that does not feel very well. But here the last word has KikoCy.  I will back Anderlecht anyway :) 

3.             We can say that Genk and Celta finished the problems in their leagues so all the attention is on CL.  A kind of  lottery in my opinion so if I will bet I will choose the better price.  Genk @6.00 is very good

4.              I have no idea about Lyon-Besiktas but the odds 1.53  I do not like. Depends what I will find until middle of April I will  take my decision. Anyway 6.50 is huge. Lyon is not a super team at the moment  ( au contraire ) and  Besiktas is not a small nor easy team …

• 4 weeks later...

As these games draw ever closer, do any of you guys have any thoughts on what to back? I really think Manchester United are worth backing away from home to win. Anderlecht will be tough but this is the sort of game where I can see Mourinho getting his side to grind out a draw or even a win.

I think Man U are sadly going to win it but there's fcuk all value in them at this stage outright (sitting around 2.10).

Im looking at the rest of the pack I'm tempted to back Celta at 7s. They've got a favourable draw and seem to have given up on La Liga and decided Europe is the goal. Remember they can still claim a Champions League spot here and that must be a HUGE motivator. They play in a good league and have already put out one of the favourites in Shakhtar. They went to Russia too and put in a very professional performance so I like them on a small stake outright. 

AFC Ajax v Schalke 04

AFC Ajax: Dolberg (25/13 f, probably in), Schöne (25/7 f, suspended)

Schalke 04: Stambouli (18/0 m, doubtful), Choupo-Moting (23/3 f), Coke (2/0 d), Baba (13/0 d), Naldo (18/1 d), Uchida (0/0 d), Aogo (5/0 d), Embolo (7/2 f)

Anderlecht v Manchester United

Anderlecht: Lukasz Teodorczyk (30/20 f, top scorer, doubtful), Andy Najar (9/0 m, probably out)

Manchester United: Antonio Valencia (25/1 m), Ashley Young (8/0 m), David De Gea (29/0 first goalkeeper)(all doubtful), Wayne Rooney (19/2 f, captain), Juan Mata (22/6 m, 2nd top scorer), Phil Jones (14/0 d), Chris Smalling (15/1 d)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Europa League:

Schalke have drawn their last 3 games in Europa League.
Celta Vigo have won their last 3 games in Europa League.
Man Utd are undefeated in their last 6 games in Europa League.

Interesting 17 Football Streaks for 13.04.2017 ... http://eurofootballrumours.com/football-streaks-13-04-2017

Edited by Magic0024

36 minutes ago, doctorkuk said:

With the match against Chelsea on sunday it would be foolish not to rest some key players. Maybe a draw? :ok

I doubt they will rest players. Winning the EL guarantees them a CL group stage spot. If they wanted to qualify through the league, they would have given up on the EL long ago. Their inconsistent league form doesn't make things easier for them.

Edited by vasilli07

I will probably be on Anderlecht to win, FWIW. Home dogs are undervalued in KOs in this competition...I'm sure that Man Utd would approach the return leg the same whether the first match finishes 1-1 or 1-0. To me the wild card is Ibra. They didn't have the likes of him before. Last year they lost away to Midtyjjand and Liverpool.

3 hours ago, vasilli07 said:

I doubt they will rest players. Winning the EL guarantees them a CL group stage spot. If they wanted to qualify through the league, they would have given up on the EL long ago. Their inconsistent league form doesn't make things easier for them.

I agree. I think their full focus is on the Europa League now. I think they know deep down that a top four finish is not realistic any more. They are arguably the strongest side left in the Europa League so it's a great opportunity to earn Champions League football next season. I'm expecting a strong line-up and strong showing from United tonight.

13 minutes ago, andrewcalo said:

Looks like a classic Derby clash tonight then @StevieDay1983! I'm betting against them. Better get tooled up son lol

Bring your betting slip, your pen, and your coins fella! I'm gonna give you a Celtic smile!

I'm so confident... I'm putting my £10 free bet with Sky Bet on it... and that's not even a cheap affiliate plug!skybetbaby.jpg.66e3574a1ae1662d4a48c0757