** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UK Midweek > Feb 28th & Mar 1st

champratings.jpg.b488e47acd1bda68cc5eb94

league1ratings.jpg.31a0ce23cfe9cb835a3b8

league2ratings.jpg.dd3e03ec5f3fefee88fcd

scotspremratings.jpg.8e1d104c88695158863

A selection of games from different competitions during the week. The FA Cup has a solitary fixture with the replay between Manchester City and Huddersfield. I'm expecting a solid 2-0 win for City here. The Championship has a small number of fixtures this week. Brighton versus Newcastle being the stand-out game. Anyone brave enough to bet on that one? There is an EFL Trophy game as well. There is also a full schedule for League One and League Two with the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Championship also providing some games.

@DW_United, what are you looking at after a positive weekend? Bet you're bouncing after United's win. What a game it was! I'm sorry to say I really wanted Southampton to win after that early disallowed goal.

@Kenton Schweppes, how are you feeling about your game on Wednesday? You must have mixed feelings about the draw on the weekend? Disappointing to drop two points but Barnsley are a very tricky team. They beat us at home not long ago. Outplayed us as well.

@allyhibs, can your lads build on the Hearts win against St Mirren? Big game!

@skyblues88, you must be gutted after that 3-1 loss to Swindon. Relegation now looking more and more likely with each passing week which is a massive shame. Really hope you lads can start turning it around. 11 points is a lot to make up in 13 games though.

@Icongene, your brave double bet almost came in but Cambridge put an end to it with their narrow win. Are you picking any games here?

@Tiffy, how are you feeling about your side's massive game this week? Can you win? What a result that would be. Book yourselves a place in the Premier League if that happens!

@dogmeister, thankfully, Mansfield weren't public enemy number one with our posters this week. Unfortunately, other sides were your enemy in those two brave accumulators you placed. Fancying another one in midweek?

@chris666, hell of a spot with that Oxford tip. Never in doubt with their 4-0 win. Keen to hear your pick for these fixtures. @willie82, I believe you also backed that pick too. Great call both!

@gogetta, great to see you back in the mix. Any tips for us this week?

@kulikTS, always brilliant to see a new face involved in the discussion. Any matches taking your fancy here?

@salmonman, only Fleetwood helping you last weekend. Backing any trebles this week?

@canaries91, your side proving my derby theory correct about how derbies are more likely to end in a draw due to the "avoid defeat at all costs" mentality. Are you interested in any Championship bets this week?

@Tanktop, you were right with Fleetwood but Notts County just couldn't get that win. What do you think this week?

Big game @StevieDay1983, no it's only Newcastle!

Yes, it was always going to be a massive game this season, and I will now bring you the latest from the south coast.

BRIGHTON V NEWCASTLE

Without wishing to sound arrogant, there is a feeling here that this is OUR season. Newcastle can have the title, Brighton just want automatic promotion & the fans can feel it happening this season. But I feel the Goerdies are on a wobble at the moment. Being 0-2 down to Bristol City at the weekend won't sit well with their supporters. There are no injuries or suspensions for us, and I think they have Dwight Gayle missing. We are top, and they are going to have to come & play for the win. The pressure on them to win the title is massive, and it isn't for us, as everyone expects them to finish as chamipions. 

They will have to come and take the game to us, they need the win, we can settle for a draw, but I don't think we will. The crowd this season have been immense, the noise levels at the Amex are through the roof, and the ground will be full to capacity on Tuesday. The fans will play there part, and I can see the pressure getting to the Geordies.

if Brighton score first, they should go onto win.

if Newcastle score first, back Brighton to score next.

When Sam Baldock plays, we never Lose! (NEVER)

I think Newcastle will have the most corners, and that the game will be a full blood and guts affair. Will they be able to cope with our pace up front? 

I will do some research and post some selections later. I will update you fully with any info coming out too.

2 hours ago, Tiffy said:

Big game @StevieDay1983, no it's only Newcastle!

Yes, it was always going to be a massive game this season, and I will now bring you the latest from the south coast.

BRIGHTON V NEWCASTLE

Without wishing to sound arrogant, there is a feeling here that this is OUR season. Newcastle can have the title, Brighton just want automatic promotion & the fans can feel it happening this season. But I feel the Goerdies are on a wobble at the moment. Being 0-2 down to Bristol City at the weekend won't sit well with their supporters. There are no injuries or suspensions for us, and I think they have Dwight Gayle missing. We are top, and they are going to have to come & play for the win. The pressure on them to win the title is massive, and it isn't for us, as everyone expects them to finish as chamipions. 

They will have to come and take the game to us, they need the win, we can settle for a draw, but I don't think we will. The crowd this season have been immense, the noise levels at the Amex are through the roof, and the ground will be full to capacity on Tuesday. The fans will play there part, and I can see the pressure getting to the Geordies.

if Brighton score first, they should go onto win.

if Newcastle score first, back Brighton to score next.

When Sam Baldock plays, we never Lose! (NEVER)

I think Newcastle will have the most corners, and that the game will be a full blood and guts affair. Will they be able to cope with our pace up front? 

I will do some research and post some selections later. I will update you fully with any info coming out too.

Brilliant summary there, Tiffy! That's why you're so valuable around here! Brighton can't get promoted. We'll lose you to that bloody Premier League thread! :lol

One key factor is that it's a long midweek haul for Newcastle. Brighton must be rubbing their hands. I am tempted to back a score draw but I just think Brighton could do it. I hope you do. I remember when we were back in the old Division Three with you. I seem to remember you pipped us (I say pipped, think you sealed it 2-3 games before the end of the season) and Chesterfield to the title that season as well. Bobby Zamora tearing it up. What a time to be alive!

14 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Brilliant summary there, Tiffy! That's why you're so valuable around here! Brighton can't get promoted. We'll lose you to that bloody Premier League thread! :lol

One key factor is that it's a long midweek haul for Newcastle. Brighton must be rubbing their hands. I am tempted to back a score draw but I just think Brighton could do it. I hope you do. I remember when we were back in the old Division Three with you. I seem to remember you pipped us (I say pipped, think you sealed it 2-3 games before the end of the season) and Chesterfield to the title that season as well. Bobby Zamora tearing it up. What a time to be alive!

Valuable! Haha, Injust hope some of the info proves useful! But thanks for that @StevieDay1983

That period you refer to was before I came on board. I had just moved to Sussex from Luton, and you couldn't get a ticket at the Withdean. It wasn't till my son started supporting Brighton that I got back into watching live football again. We have had season tickets since the Amex was built, and I have seen the transition of the club. Through my job, I talk to many footy fans, most of whom are Albions supporters, so I understand the club & all that it stands for. 

But yes, what a time to be alive, I just they can go all the way this season. We have the best Chairman, the best chief exec, a great manager & a great squad. The ground, training facilities & ongoing development means that the foundations are laid for us to play at a higher level.

oh, and don't forget pie-ology will come into play tomorrow night too!

Sunthorpe to win at  EVS.

The Iron need to end that sticky patch sooner then later,if they dont want to be bypassed by Bolton.Great chance for it tomorrow,the Wombles are coming to the town,their season will end up more then likely ,as pretty strong mid table,which is a great achievment.Toffolo is back for the home team,no big suspensions or injuries,so im rather surprised that the price is drifting up hugely...anyway good for us,bad for the bookies,ha.

Edited by MuineBheag

Quite like Accrington at home to Wycombe who have the worst form in the division.

Also Villa having just beat a better side at home look good at just above EVENS.

Also Cambridge v Doncaster btts. The away side have the highest btts percentage in the league and Cambridge come in having won two on the bounce and should be confident in front of goal.

Edited by Icongene

Bury at home seem a big price considering they're playing such a poor Coventry side. They've changed things around and goals are definitely not a problem for them. 2.30 looks a steal.

stevanage at home to a poor Leyton orient side also stands out..home side in pretty good form and should be a solid win.. watch Leyton get the win now I said it! 

11 hours ago, MuineBheag said:

Sunthorpe to win at  EVS.

The Iron need to end that sticky patch sooner then later,if they dont want to be bypassed by Bolton.Great chance for it tomorrow,the Wombles are coming to the town,their season will end up more then likely ,as pretty strong mid table,which is a great achievment.Toffolo is back for the home team,no big suspensions or injuries,so im rather surprised that the price is drifting up hugely...anyway good for us,bad for the bookies,ha.

Brave to back a team that hasn't won in five league games but you've got an impressive record with your tips so I'm tempted to back you here. It's not like Scunthorpe are mid-table or relegation fodder. This is a club that are 2nd in the division. I agree that sooner or later the win will come. They are playing an AFC Wimbledon side that have only won one of their last seven league games at home.

• Brighton V Newcastle
  • Match Facts
  •  
  • Brighton's only defeat in their last seven matches against Newcastle in all competitions (W4 D2) came earlier this campaign in a 2-0 loss at St. James' Park.
  • The Magpies have never scored a goal at the Amex Stadium in two previous games there, both in the FA Cup.
  • The Seagulls have lost one of their last 19 home league games on a Tuesday (W14 D4), losing 1-0 to Ipswich in December 2015.
  • Newcastle, meanwhile, haven't lost an away game on a Tuesday since going down to Spurs in December 2010, winning four and drawing three since.
  • Magpies striker Daryl Murphy has scored in each of his last four Championship appearances against Brighton (four goals).
  • Murphy is the highest scoring Championship opposition player at the Amex (since 2011-12), netting four goals in five previous appearances.
  • The Magpies are yet to win a Championship game in which they've conceded the first goal this season (D1 L6), while Brighton have won 18 out of 18 games in which they've scored first.

BRIGHTON V NEWCASTLE

SELECTIONS

My gut feeling is that we won't lose tonight. As I said before Newcastle are going to have to come and take the game to us, especially as they have another tough game on Saturday. They will want to try and take something from this game. I feel that this will play into Brightons hands, and our quick counter attacking style could prove decisive. A draw will suit us nicely though, we will be reminding the away end which team is still top at the end of the game, if that happens!

However, I fancy the corner markets again. In their last 5 away league games, Newcastle lead the count 29-22.

Brightons last 5 home league games yield a loss of 31-20

If Brighton go a goal up, then Newcastle will have to up the intensity and attack, attack, attack

So I am going for

Newcastle most corners 2.25

Newcastle +1 corner handicap 1.8

Aston Villa v Bristol City
Aston Villa: Conor Hourihane (5/0 m, probably in), Mile Jedinak (22/0 m, doubtful), Leandro Bacuna (24/1 m, suspended), Scott Hogan (4/0 f), Gabby Agbonlahor (11/0 f), Libor Kozak (2/0 f), Rushian Hepburn-Murphy (2/0 f), Ritchie de Laet (3/0 d), Jed Steer (0/0 g)
Bristol City: Milan Djuric (7/1 f, probably out), Tammy Abraham (31/18 f, top scorer), Mark Little (22/0 d)

Walsall FC v Chesterfield
Walsall FC: Florent Cuvelier (19/0 m), Reece Flanagan (0/0 m), Maz Kouhyar (5/0 m), Rory Oliver (0/0 m)
Chesterfield: Ryan Fulton (26/0 first goalkeeper), Sadiq El Fitouri (2/0 d, illness), Dion Donohue (28/1 m), Jon Nolan (24/1 m)(all doubtful), Paul McGinn (10/0 d), Tommy Lee (0/0 g), Liam Graham (4/0 d)

Lincoln City v York City
Lincoln City: Lee Beevers (15/0 d)
York City: Daniel Holmes (12/0 d, suspended), Lanre Oyebanjo (4/0 d), Yan Klukowski (24/2 d), Simon Lappin (7/0 m), Clovis Kamdjo (15/1 d), Matt Fry (21/2 d)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

On 27/02/2017, 10:29:06, StevieDay1983 said:

@DW_United, what are you looking at after a positive weekend? Bet you're bouncing after United's win. What a game it was! I'm sorry to say I really wanted Southampton to win after that early disallowed goal.

Yes im bouncing! but that disallowed goal was obviously a mistake by the ref.
I´m gonna go with Aston Villa again today. They are playing at home again and really have the opportunity here to follow up with another win and maybe end the season with some honour. Bristol City is comeing from a away game in Newcastle where they had a 2-0 lead and lost it to a draw. Bristol also managed to draw away against Derby (where they had a 3-0 lead!).

So Bristol is a tuff nut to crack, they seem to be able to score against any team but the defence is leaking.
Im expecting an open game with at least 3 goals and I give Villa more than 50% chance to win this.
My bet is Villa to win 2.1 and over 2,5 goals (2.44).

Walsall v Chesterfield

Walsall have lost twice in their last 9 matches and have won their last 5  home games, the forward duo of Morris and Oztumer are both fit. Chesterfield have not won under their new manager, and have won once since boxing day (against coventry), they have drawn the last 2 away matches but got a 4-0 thumping from Oxford at the weekend, their away form is W1 D4 L 12. Walsall will be up for it with the home crowd behind them and want to bounce back from their defeat at wimbledon, Walsall manager also says that they must not be complacent stating- “These are the games where we have to be on the mettle. We have to match their energy, passion and commitment. Then we can play our football.”  Chesterfield are poor and lost decent players in January, cant see them turning the corner against walsall.

http://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/preview-walsall-3597589.aspx Chesterfield preview

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/walsall-fc/2017/02/28/jon-whitney-strugglers-will-provide-tough-test-for-walsall/ Walsall manager

Walsall  @ 1.83 

Stevenage v Leyton Orient

Stevenage have hit a run of form since the end of January winning 5 and drawing 1 (Exeter away) and have scored 10 conceded 2 in their last 5 home wins. Manager Sarll has a fully fit squad and are just 2 points away from the play-offs. Leyton Orient despite a mini revival when beatin plymouth and drawing against Yeovil, have since reverted to their shit ways by losing their next 2 games (both at home) to Notts County and cheltenham - both similarly struggling teams. Orient are relying on youngsters but are also hit by injuries (see preview). They do however tend to score goals away from home, only failing to score in 4 away matches. According to footystats.org 75% of stevenages home games had both teams scoring, and 67% of Orients away games had both scoring.

http://www.leytonorient.com/news/article/2016-17/os-boss-webb-on-stevenage-visit-3598151.aspx - Orient preview

http://www.stevenagefc.com/news/article/2016-17/up-next-leyton-orient-h-3597182.aspx - stevenage preview

Stevenage & BTTS  @ 3.75

I ordinarily distrust the goal market when top sides meet, but I have to think that Brighton will be eager to show Newcastle who's top of the table and who's at home, and both sides have been quick starters. So I've taken the first half o0.75 goals @ 1.76. Not a fabulous price in a general sense, but I really expected something like o1 @ 2.15.

On 27/02/2017, 10:29:06, StevieDay1983 said:

@skyblues88, you must be gutted after that 3-1 loss to Swindon. Relegation now looking more and more likely with each passing week which is a massive shame. Really hope you lads can start turning it around. 11 points is a lot to make up in 13 games though.

We are down mate. Russel Slade is the worst manager we've had in a long time. His team selections and tactics every game are baffling and we've got no chance of surviving with him in charge. We have actually got worse since his arrival. We've got no flair going forward. He plays with 2 defensive midfielders (one is a defender) and a defensive midfielder on the left wing. No creativity at all. 

My picks are:

- ASTON VILLA (21/20) - Had a terrible run of form but ended that run with a good home win against Derby. Villa have got quite a few injuries but still got a good squad. 

- BURY (11/10) - Bury are on a good run of form; 4 wins & 3 draws from their last 8 League one games. We will not keep a clean sheet and we have little creativity going forward. 

- BRIGHTON DOUBLE CHANCE (4/11) - Massive game for both sides and one that both sides will not want to lose. The best home team in the league vs the best away team in the league. It will be a long trip down south for the Newcastle players. I'm going for Brighton's home advantage to get them at least a draw. 

I've bought the hotshots in Brighton v Newcastle at 26 with SPIN (25 points per Murray, Baldock, Gouffran or Ritchie goal)

Sometimes this market offers a price that appears to offer clear value however I look at it. That's not the case here but the 25-29 on offer elsewhere is more like what I'd have expected to see. File under "fair at worst and a decent way of having an interest", with your risk spread across four players who all offer a reasonable goal threat.

1 minute ago, harry_rag said:

I've bought the hotshots in Brighton v Newcastle at 26 with SPIN (25 points per Murray, Baldock, Gouffran or Ritchie goal)

Sometimes this market offers a price that appears to offer clear value however I look at it. That's not the case here but the 25-29 on offer elsewhere is more like what I'd have expected to see. File under "fair at worst and a decent way of having an interest", with your risk spread across four players who all offer a reasonable goal threat.

Good to see you in here after our rugby-related interaction, Harry. Interesting bet. I'm eager to see how that pans out. I really want to back Brighton to win with Glen Murray any time scorer. My head says no but my heart says "shut up head, you're a boring douche bag!". Heart it is! Sorry, @Tiffy! If you lose it's all my fault!

That's not the worst looking bet at the 4/1 available. I've also bought cross corners at the generally available 26 (home x away). Having taken on board Tiffy's views about Newcastle's prospects I'd rather have both teams on side and be less dependent on the game going a particular way. That line's just low enough to tempt me in. For a fixed odds bet, PP offer evens for Newcastle multi corners to be >4.5 and that looks decent to me.

24 minutes ago, dogmeister said:

dogs midweek coupons sorry for aftertimings :)

villa, scunny, bradford, stevenage, and clyde

£10 on £256rtn

A lot of faith being put in Scunthorpe this week! Watch them screw us all over! Some interesting other choices. Clyde the stand out random inclusion!

Just now, StevieDay1983 said:

A lot of faith being put in Scunthorpe this week! Watch them screw us all over! Some interesting other choices. Clyde the stand out random inclusion!

players are glad to see back of Barry Ferguson have not been playing for him hence his resignation earlier  this week(he is also chasinng a coaching role at rangers but thats another story) Montrose arent great i thought fresh approach but get points but losing 1-0 atm so haha

14 minutes ago, dogmeister said:

players are glad to see back of Barry Ferguson have not been playing for him hence his resignation earlier  this week(he is also chasinng a coaching role at rangers but thats another story) Montrose arent great i thought fresh approach but get points but losing 1-0 atm so haha

but then again Cyde might just be pish

4 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Good to see you in here after our rugby-related interaction, Harry. Interesting bet. I'm eager to see how that pans out. I really want to back Brighton to win with Glen Murray any time scorer. My head says no but my heart says "shut up head, you're a boring douche bag!". Heart it is! Sorry, @Tiffy! If you lose it's all my fault!

Well @StevieDay1983, seeing as I am just back from the match & it is clearly your fault, I will be putting you on the list in my little black book. Come the day of the revolution, you will be first up against the wall, rat tat tat......!

I was right to avoid the results markets,, although I still think we should have got something from the game. Well done Geordies, go & beat Huddersfield on Saturday to open up the gap.

Corner bets won. Newcastle won the first half 4-1 & the game 6-3.. I nearly took Newcastle on a -2 first half handicap at over 5/1 too!

4 hours ago, harry_rag said:

That's not the worst looking bet at the 4/1 available. I've also bought cross corners at the generally available 26 (home x away). Having taken on board Tiffy's views about Newcastle's prospects I'd rather have both teams on side and be less dependent on the game going a particular way. That line's just low enough to tempt me in. For a fixed odds bet, PP offer evens for Newcastle multi corners to be >4.5 and that looks decent to me.

How did you get on with these bets @harry_rag?

7 hours ago, Tiffy said:

How did you get on with these bets @harry_rag?

I should've just followed you, well done. The cross corners made up at 18 (3 x 6) for an 8 point loss but the fixed odds bet won as Newcastle multis made up at 8 (4 in 1st half x 2 in second). Unfortunately, I only had a small stake on that bet.